2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
My 1st is a Cable Midget 1925. From the engraved dates on the soundboard, the last repair/service was in 1978. The 'G' in the 8th octave sticks as does a few of the black keys. I would like to get the keys up to par. The middle octaves feel,play, sound better than the lower/higher octaves. This is my 1st piano and if anyone has any input, I would be grateful. Would a "guilded" technician be able to get replacment parts?

(By 'guilded'....I mean, does a membership in the tech. Guild equal a better technician?)

Last edited by loinmute; 02/01/12 03:46 AM.

1925 Cable Midget- 44'' Upright- Chicago
J
J
Well, obviously, as a member, I may be biased. But PTG membership at least shows some level of commitment to continuing education. "RPT" means at least passing a "minimal standards" examination, and membership perhaps confers a wider 'network' for aid or consultation in case you run into something...odd...

But, as they say--YMMV.

...and the dayight o'er the pavement, quite has faded...and the strong dead march enwraps me...

PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JPDelmore makes a good point. There are some excellent technicians who are not guild members and there are some real schlock artists who are members. That beings said, it is good to know that the tech has at least passed a minimal standards test. However, I know many RPTs who haven't been to a chapter meeting or a conference in many years.

I have a 1930 Cable Midget in my inventory right now. They can be quite nice little instruments. I think the name "Midget" was a little silly. They really aren't that small - around 47" tall. I think of them as 3/4 size uprights - because their proportions are similar, but on a smaller scale.
[Linked Image]

There is a reprint of a Cable Company Midget catalog on this website:
http://www.antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/cable-piano-company/

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In order to get parts, what you need is an account with the supply companies. Usually this requires something that shows that you are in business, like a business license or resale permit. The resale permit will become more and more of a necessity, as states have been requesting that suppliers have that information on file.

Semipro Tech
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the responses. So, would there be parts available for my 1925? Will the technician mark-up the parts?

B
BDB Offline
B
There will not be factory-made parts for your piano, as the factory no longer exists. A good technician adapts available parts to work. I cannot say what others would do, but I would certainly mark up parts. We are businesspeople, after all.

Semipro Tech
L
OP Offline
L
The mark-up is expected. I am experienced in guitars, and also used to "after-market" type manufacturing, which I assume does not exist with Golden-Age pianos??

So is my only option; to get a good technician and have him adapt/retrofit? Very interesting that pianos don't have aftermarket parts. Is that because there were so many piano makers during the Golden'Age??

Last edited by loinmute; 02/03/12 09:36 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Don't worry about "parts", it doesn't sound like your piano needs any right now. Chances are, if and when your piano ever needs "parts" they will be action parts, which are available today as they have remained more or less unchanged for 100 years. What pianos typically need after decades of use is replacement of various leathers and felts and hammers, all of which are readily available to technicians.

Don't get too fixated on the term "Golden Age". Many pianos from that era were anything but golden.

JG
L
OP Offline
L
As I said I am new to pianos and especially 1920's era uprights. I have a question. I can't find too much information about Cable 1925 Midgets. My question is: Are the white keys ivory or pearwood? If neither; then what are the keys made of?? thanks.

B
BDB Offline
B
The keys are probably ivory.

Find yourself a good technician and get the piano tuned. Whoever does that can answer your questions better than anyone can over the internet.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My midget has ivory keys.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
L
OP Offline
L
I did a hot-needle test and it did no damage to the key. (I refuse to do this on the ebony keys). Also, the keys do have a patina, yellowed tint. Also, there are lines on every white key, on the sides of the keys. I think mine are ivory. Thanks.

LOL Of course, I would have no reason to that test on ebony. However, if I am mistaken about the test being an accurate measure; correct me.

Last edited by loinmute; 02/09/12 10:48 PM.

L
OP Offline
L
I have found out that the "hot-needle" test is a scam. Beings I have Zero experience with pianos...I'll get a qualified technician out here to my house. Would it be appropriate to ask what the current average fee is? I am limited in what I can tell you about the upright. Both pedals work. G2 hammer floats on occasion. C5 has a thud type sounds when struck forte. The F3 key seems to ring for a longer duration than the rest. ... the last mark on the harp is a set of initials and a date from 1978. The strings look old, but I think most of them are in their correct locations. The piano is quite off-tune at A-436. The technician mark states he/she tuned in at A=432 back in 1978. I would like a general inspection and I assume new hammer felts. I'll just have to get someone out here. I live near Austin, Texas. What are the current rates? Thank you

B
BDB Offline
B
I do not know what going rates are in your area, but I would suspect that the piano would need a pitch raise and tuning, as well as some repairs. Call around, explain what you need, and you should get an approximate idea of the cost. You will probably need at least 3-4 hours worth of work tuning and repairs, so plan accordingly.

Semipro Tech
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks BDB.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission