Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (cathryn999, Beowulf, Beemer, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, clothearednincompo, Alex C, Agent88, 19 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183413
03/07/08 08:40 PM
03/07/08 08:40 PM
Ottawa, Canada
A
A Piano Novice Offline OP
A Piano Novice  Offline OP
A

Ottawa, Canada
Hi, can anyone provide some insight into the following:

There is a 52 inch 1989 Samick SU131 listed for $2500 by a private seller and the piano tech thinks it's fine....although it has had a lot of use and was used by a piano teacher for her lessons at one point. It's been well maintained and regularly tuned.

The other is a 22 year old 48 inch Yamaha U1 at a dealer for $4995 including a 5 year warranty. It was made in Hammatsu, Japan. The dealer reconditioned it and it sounds wonderful.

I know U1's have a great reputation......I'm wondering if I should fork over the extra $2500 (pre-negotiation) for a Yamaha or just stick with a relatively basic Samick. The piano is for my 10 year old who has been playing for 5 years and for my 7 year old who just started lessons. I'd like them to play for many years but many kids lose interest so I may have to re-sell it. I figure with a Yamaha, the resale value would be pretty decent.

Another consideration would be buying a new Kawai for $6000. Is a new KX 21 Kawai better than an old Yamaha?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183414
03/08/08 01:46 PM
03/08/08 01:46 PM
Hillsboro Beach South Florida
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bear 1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Buy the new Kawai KX 21. smile

Kawai info: www.kawaius.com

If nothing else it's brand new, and has a full 10 year transferrable factory warranty.
The Samick used piano has no factory warranty, and the 22 year old Yamaha only has a dealer's warranty. If the dealer goes out of business you have no warranty.

Good luck with whatever piano you select.

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183415
03/08/08 02:07 PM
03/08/08 02:07 PM
Northeast
K
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member
Kenny Blankenship  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Northeast
I agree with Bear, If you've got the $$ Get the new one. It will inspire you to play it more. Best of Luck

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183416
03/08/08 02:31 PM
03/08/08 02:31 PM
Los Angeles/Burbank
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member
Glenn Treibitz  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Los Angeles/Burbank
Alot depends on your budget. If you can afford the extra $3500 you might consider a new piano and there are many other choices you should consider. While the Kawai is a well put together piano you will find that the sound is rather thin and the bass is disappointing for a 48". I think the Yamaha is too expensive and should be priced less. I am sure the 52" Samick has a deeper sound then the 48" Kawai or Yamaha. If the tech says it is in good shape, get it and you can always sell or trade it and get most of what you paid back.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,
Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Casio,Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183417
03/08/08 03:09 PM
03/08/08 03:09 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
F
Frank Offline
Frank  Offline
F

Vancouver, B.C.
Piano Novice,

1989 Samicks were so-so compared to a few years later.

The Kawai KX 21 in my opinion will have a much better action and certainly less service than an old teacher used Samick (ex dealer so I speak from 1st hand experience) and the Yamaha U1 although very popular is getting to the age where in a few more years, no matter condition, most resell buyers will consider too old. May be gray market also so check out.

My vote, KX 21 even if made in China like so many today. I have been through their factory there and am impressed.

For an excellent selection of Pianos new and used I may suggest you call Lowrey's in Toronto. May be worth a trip.

Frank Woodside
www.hzmpiano.com
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183418
03/08/08 03:14 PM
03/08/08 03:14 PM
West Coast
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Craigen  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

West Coast
Buy the new Kawai.
The U1 is likely gray market.
Samick is too old.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183419
03/08/08 03:36 PM
03/08/08 03:36 PM
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bear 1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]

Originally posted by Glenn Treibitz:

While the Kawai is a well put together piano you will find that the sound is rather thin and the bass is disappointing for a 48".
I am sure the 52" Samick has a deeper sound then the 48" Kawai. [QB
-----------------------------------------------

Well, tone is subjective and you certainly are entitled to your opinion regarding that aspect. I think the buyer should judge for himself which piano has the tone that pleases them the most. More inches doesn't necessarily equate to tone/sound.

Tone/sound comparisons aside, the action should be considered as well. As you know, a good way to make a selection generally is touch, tone, low maintenance, durability, then price.
Resale value, or trade-in value, with a piano that has a full 10 year factory transferrable warranty, should be better than a piano with no warranty don't you think?

All the best, smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183420
03/08/08 05:57 PM
03/08/08 05:57 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
I agree with Glenn, that the Yamaha U1 is priced high.

But a 22 year old U1 (grey market, black market, whatever) has plenty of life left in it, unless abused, overplayed, or exposed to an unfriendly environment. It's also fun to play, and has a great scale design.

If you can get the dealer to knock 15%-20% off the price, plus give you a 100% trade-in option during the first year (just in case it is one of those mythical grey market pianos that totally falls apart after a few months), I think it would be worth considering.

To allay all fears, ask a local piano tech to inspect it before you buy. Pianos exposed to severe conditions exhibit telltale signs that can't be hidden from an experienced eye.

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183421
03/08/08 06:07 PM
03/08/08 06:07 PM
NY
thepianist2008 Offline
thepianist2008  Offline

NY
We were very upset with our Samick. I practice mostly on my digital Casio Privia now. Before long, certain keys wouldn't work. According to the tuner, the wood is swollen and this keeps the pin from rotating all the way. However, even though he claimed to know the problem, he couldn't fix it, and we're looking at buying a new piano now which I'll inherit and take w/ me when I move out after college. I don't know if you'd get in the same situation as us, but the Samick was a huge problem. If your kid's ten, you probably can't guarantee he'll grow up to love the piano. Maybe you should get a good quality digital piano, which will be a lot cheaper and serve the same purpose. He'll still be able to develop to a high level. Trust me, I practice on a digital, and I got accepted into Ithaca college with a nice scholarship. It can be done. As a general rule, I find that you want your practice piano to be inferior to the performance piano anyways, but not so inferior that some of the keys don't work! frown Save your money until you're absolutely sure that's the path your child wants to take, and then use the money you saved to invest in a good Yamaha ( my personal preference, not everybody's ). I got my digital piano for $600, and I paid out of my own pocket w/ money from a summer job. You should be more worried about paying a good teacher and getting music books.

Piano Hero Encore Rocks the 1800s!

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183422
03/08/08 06:09 PM
03/08/08 06:09 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
The piano is for my 10 year old who has been playing for 5 years and for my 7 year old who just started lessons. I'd like them to play for many years but many kids lose interest so I may have to re-sell it. I figure with a Yamaha, the resale value would be pretty decent.
It seems to me you have two criteria to satisfy

1) an instrument that your player with five years experience likes

2) an instrument that will have minimal depreciation if the kids lose interest

If the second one takes precedence (and I don't think it should) then you shouldn't buy a new piano. The biggest depreciation occurs early.

Don't buy the old U-1 either. Sure, there's always a market for old U-1's, but many old U-1's have been 'reconditioned' with a buffer or a dustcloth, and as others have said, that one is too old and too expensive.

Try to find a U-1 that is less than fifteen years old. Then see if it can satisfy the more important criterion of making your 10-year-old want to play it. If it can, you both win.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183423
03/08/08 08:14 PM
03/08/08 08:14 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
"...many old U-1's have been 'reconditioned' with a buffer or a dustcloth.."

Assuming this dealer is not handing you a line, the reconditioning probably included something more significant, such as new key bushings, repetition spring straps, or keytops. I know of one major used Yamaha wholesaler who routinely performs such operations as needed, to bring the piano to showroom condition.

Also, I'd take issue with turandot's classification of a piano made in 1986 as being "old".

I would never warranty an "old" piano for 5 years (assuming this is a complete parts & labor warranty being offered on the U1), and strictly speaking, even an "old" Yamaha is going to provide longer and better service than 90% of used pianos on the market, because of the fanatical precision and uniformly high production standards of Yamaha, and the Japanese piano builders in general.

Your kids can easily get another 10-15 (or more, depending on use) years out of this piano, assuming it is indeed in A+ condition, before you'd have to consider any major service on the action.

I also have a different slant on thepianist2008's concept that "You should be more worried about paying a good teacher and getting music books."

A good piano teacher--one your kids will love and respect, and be motivated by--is truly essential. But of greater importance to me is the ability of the instrument to draw the kids to it, and compel them to learn how to create beautiful sounds on it.

The 1986 Yamaha U1, if typical, likely has a light, even touch and a clear, lively tone with a very satisfying bass register. If the kids are drawn to it for those reasons, they will want to learn how to play it, and that's an even greater motivation than a good teacher.

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183424
03/08/08 09:41 PM
03/08/08 09:41 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Also, I'd take issue with turandot's classification of a piano made in 1986 as being "old".

I would never warranty an "old" piano for 5 years (assuming this is a complete parts & labor warranty being offered on the U1), and strictly speaking, even an "old" Yamaha is going to provide longer and better service than 90% of used pianos on the market, because of the fanatical precision and uniformly high production standards of Yamaha, and the Japanese piano builders in general.

Your kids can easily get another 10-15 (or more, depending on use) years out of this piano, assuming it is indeed in A+ condition, before you'd have to consider any major service on the action.
Jim,

I recommended that the OP get a U-1 if his child who has five years of experience liked it. Heck, in a recent post, a member even referred to me as "the defender of the U-1", even though I think you have just usurped my title with your stirring post. laugh

In my neck of the woods, the typical price for a 1986 U-1 is around $3k, not $5k. A new U-1 is about $6k. Dealers offer short-term warranties on 'reconditioned' U-1's not because they have replaced key bushings or repetition straps, but because they are taking their chances that what you said is true: "Your kids can easily get another 10-15 (or more, depending on use) years out of this piano....."

Now if you are saying that an old U-1 is a good choice because "the fanatical precision and uniformly high production standards of Yamaha" have been on a downward slide and aint quite what they used to be, then that's a different thing. Assuming that is not what you are saying, I suppose you would agree that younger is better if obtainable at the same price.

BTW, the replacement of keytops would be a sign to me that the piano had been heavily used. I'd be much more attracted to original keytops that were still in good playable shape.

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183425
03/09/08 01:37 PM
03/09/08 01:37 PM
West Coast
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Craigen  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

West Coast
Jim, you said "But a 22 year old U1 (grey market, black market, whatever) has plenty of life left in it, unless abused, overplayed, or exposed to an unfriendly environment."

It is precisely that. Nearly all gray market Yamahas have been abused, overplayed,and exposed to unfriendly environments by definition.

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183426
03/09/08 05:27 PM
03/09/08 05:27 PM
Chicago
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Always Wanted to Play Piano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Pardon the hijack, but Bear, can you point me to the KX 21 on the Kawai website? I am not seeing it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183427
03/09/08 08:53 PM
03/09/08 08:53 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
AWTPP, this quote may explain why you don't see the KX 21 on Kawai's website...

"As to Kawai i noticed the following series: KX-21 (china made), K-18E BT, K-25E, K-50E, K-60E and K-80E (all made in Japan)."

(lifted from this LINK )

I'll bet it's one of the models built for them by Hsinghai (Xinghai) Beijing.

Craigen, I cannot believe you made that post with a straight face.

I have personally offloaded, inspected, prepped and sold hundreds of GM Yamaha and Kawai pianos; I never encountered the first one that had been abused or played to death, and only a couple that had been adversely affected by environment.

Also have a long list of happy customers who would wonder what in the world you are talking about!

If you're speaking from experience, then whoever is supplying the pianos you've seen is not anyone we've ever dealt with. Heck, I know of used piano dealers in NE Florida who specialize in buying and selling the worst used (domestic, mostly American made) pianos available, so it's bound to happen in Japan too...but to say that "Nearly all gray market Yamahas have been abused, overplayed, and exposed to unfriendly environments by definition" is in my opinion a real stretch of the term 'gray market' and an affront to the intelligence of every one of our 'gray market' customers.

That's such a needlessly derogatory term anyway. The used Japanese piano market isn't gray at all; it's as clean, honest and legal as any other legitimate marketplace. The term is supposed to apply to the sale of NEW goods, most often electronic equipment and cigarettes, that are supplied surreptitiously through channels not approved by manufacturers.

It really has no application to the simple resale of pre-owned pianos, but its misuse has been advantageous to (and no doubt propagated by) Yamaha Corp. because it effectively stigmatizes every honest person selling used Yamahas imported from Japan.

turandot, I really didn't mean to infer or imply that Yamaha's production standards had slipped. I think you're right, the price on the '86 U1 is high and not even worth considering unless the dealer is willing to knock 15%-20% off asking price--and even then, it would have to be a piano in A+ pristine condition (with some consideration for extras like free delivery, free artists bench, warranty provisions, financing incentives, etc.)

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183428
03/10/08 06:34 PM
03/10/08 06:34 PM
West Coast
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Craigen  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

West Coast
Jim,
Most gray market piano come out of schools where they are played several hours a day five days a week for over twenty years. By definition, I consider this "abused, or over played."
By definition, gray market pianos have lived their 20+ year lives in Japan. This is an "adverse environment" when they are shipped into the U.S.
I have seen over a hundred and worked on dozens of gray market pianos that exhibited critically worn and loose flanges, critically worn key bushings, broken or absent hammer but return springs, smelled like old saxaphone cases, and hammers filed down to the nubs.
I have worked with dozens of clients who shopped gray market pianos. In nearly every case the age of the piano was misrepresented by well over five years and the condition was grossly misrepresented.
I have surveyed and/or worked on gray market pianos from at least four vendors/jobbers that I was able to identify, and probably more. Often the pianos I looked at were represented as A or B grade.
In my opinion and experience gray market pianos in "top condition", truly "rebuilt", any serious degree of "reconditioning", virtually "unused" are non-existant. Most of what I see has had the finish buffed and the hammers filed and the brass polished.
Are there some good gray market pianos? Yes, but IMO they are the exception to the rule.
Are there bargains to be had in gray market pianos? Yes, as long as the buyer understands that he is buying a piano that only has remaining about the last 15-20% of it useful musical life, and not the best part by any means.
Now to the use of the term "gray market". Yes, these are indeed just used pianos. If so, why the use of the perjoritive "gray market'? I'll tell you why. The term describes a body of instruments that have lived their 20+ years of life in Japan's moist environments with significantly different HVAC considerations. It defines many, if not most, of these pianos comming from institutional use where they are played way beyond typical "home use" "used piano" clock hours. It defines a body of instruments that are not taken in trade from families or purchased from estates as most "used pianos" are, but those bought by the container load from jobbers who deal in these narrowly defined pianos.
Jim,
You are a respected poster on this forum. Clearly you are in the business of selling these instruments on a regular basis. You, of course, want to spin the story in your direction. Just don't try to make me look foolish in the process.

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183429
03/10/08 07:25 PM
03/10/08 07:25 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Just a couple of comments.

I think you are both right. I've seen very nice specimens such as Jim describes, and I've seen beaten up old dogs such as Craigen describes. But from the exterior, they looked pretty much the same. All the jobbers and reconditioners seem to pay attention to the case to the point where the pianos look virtually new on the outside.

A dealer where I saw good ones told he that his particular source does not buy any beat-up pianos from institutional use situations. He also told me that grading can't be compared because different jobbers uses different grading scales. I know that's true from my own observation. Some of the grey marketeers grade almost everything A but divide A into several sub-categories.

Not all grey-market Yamaha and Kawai pianos are coming from Japan these days.

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183430
03/11/08 01:41 AM
03/11/08 01:41 AM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
It is a well-known fact that among the Japanese there exists a cultural stigma attached to the purchase of something 'used'.

Many Americans, on the other hand, possess that Bohemian flea market/garage sale/thrift store mentality (which I myself proudly boast) that makes them almost giddy at the thought of buying something used, especially when they're getting a silk purse at sow's ear prices.

This provides the scenario into which the enterprising "grey market" entrepreneur enters. Our Japanese buyers run classified ads in major newspapers in big cities like Tokyo, Yokohama and Osaka, which read,

"WE WILL BUY YOUR USED PIANO"

This is great news to many Japanese families, because they know that finding a buyer for their used Yamaha or Kawai which they got 15 or 20 years ago when the kids started Suzuki classes (and who, like most American kids, didn't take the piano with them when they left home) ain't gonna be easy.

These families number in the millions, and are living testimonies to the high place of honor given to music education in Japan.

With no disrespect intended to Craigen, I think it's not unreasonable to point out that the supply of institutional junkers he bears witness to, which for some time may very well have flooded the U.S. market, must inevitably, at some point, have begun to dwindle.

And so, in recent years a number of Japanese exporters of used Yamaha and Kawai pianos have been consistently offering lots of "very nice specimens" as turandot put it, pianos previously privately-owned and played very little (as can easily be determined by examining backchecks and backcheck catchers as well as hammers and key bushings), and they are not coming up with the raggedy old dogs that have unfortunately soured so many technicians against the Japanese used piano market.

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183431
03/11/08 02:11 AM
03/11/08 02:11 AM
Los Angeles/Burbank
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member
Glenn Treibitz  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Los Angeles/Burbank
We can all give our opinions till we are blue in the face. The bottom line is a tech inspected the Samick and thought it was fine. This over rides speculations and suggestions here by people who have not inspected this piano. We used to conduct a Kawai piano sale at Saddle Back College in Orange county. They had a 20 year old Samick there, which they still have in one of the teacher offices that piano held up better and sounded better than the new some of the new pianos we put in. The teacher begged to keep it in her office. So we can not all sit on our hill and make suggestions without having seen this particular piano. Quite frankly I would suggest to the customer he does not have to spend $6000 to get a piano if that is out of his budget. There are a great many very suitable pianos that are spoken of often here that can be had for a little more than the used Samick but less than $6,000.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,
Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Casio,Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183432
03/12/08 03:23 PM
03/12/08 03:23 PM
A
asd123321 Offline
500 Post Club Member
asd123321  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

With a good discount a new Kawai K3 could be around $5000 which should show the old U1 is over priced. That would be better than the KX21

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183433
03/12/08 03:50 PM
03/12/08 03:50 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
The U1 is probably overpriced, but I'm positive the dealer would be willing to discount, if a serious offer were made.

And while it's true that to a Kawai lover, the K-3 would likely be a better choice than the KX-21, I think it's fair to say that to any Yamaha lover, a reasonable price on a pristine '86 U1 would make it more desirable than either Kawai.

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183434
03/12/08 11:14 PM
03/12/08 11:14 PM
Houston
C
chrisc Offline
chrisc  Offline
C

Houston
I am not a piano expert, but some of these reponses crack me up. Of course the new Kawai is a better piano than the used Samick, but it costs over twice as much.

If someone offered me a used Hyundai Sonata or a new Honda Accord, I am taking the new Accord. Oh wait...there is the whole topic of money.

If this guy buys the Samick, and wants to get rid of it in 2 years, it will have value. All of that said, the $2500 is negotiable and probably drops to $2100. It is a fine piano (tech approved) for beginners and will give years of service before he sells it for $1400 to someone else.

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183435
05/08/08 06:44 PM
05/08/08 06:44 PM
Ottawa, Canada
A
A Piano Novice Offline OP
A Piano Novice  Offline OP
A

Ottawa, Canada
Hi everyone.....the search is over and we had our new Kawai K2 delivered today. It's a real beauty. Thank you to all for your comments. I'm glad this sometimes frustrating (although very necessary) experience is over. We went well over budget but my kids love the piano so I hope it inspires them to play. I now know more than I ever thought possible about pianos(altho' I know it's just the tip of the iceberg).

Re: Used Samick SU 131 or Yamaha U1 or new Kawai #183436
05/08/08 07:44 PM
05/08/08 07:44 PM
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bear 1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats!

Hope you and your family enjoy your new Kawai K2 for years to come. smile

Best wishes,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission