2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Brian Tyler did brilliant work on lego Universe, too bad the game was a failure:

Last edited by robotherolove; 01/26/12 06:28 PM.
M
M
Are you kidding? Arrangements from video games are most of what I play. Only recently have I delved into classical music, and that's because I'm using it for sight-reading. Here are some of my videos. (Shameless self-promotion.)

And one with vocals.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
OP Offline
I really need to start remembering to log back in after I've posted something, and not wait a couple of days to do that. o.O

Great responses from everyone, it made me feel better about being so obsessed with video game music lately. I even put down my book of Beethoven sonatas and Chopin waltzes! I'm currently working on some pieces from the Final Fantasy series, but I have played a lot of Zelda and Bioshock pieces as well. Mario Bros. theme is always a must, since that's one most people are familiar with, haha.

Currently working on Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu and Final Fantasy songs ^_^

Music is the breath of my soul; without it I could not live.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would consider myself a gamer at times. And have heard many decent tunes found in video game sountracks. A lot of them are spectacular, but there seems to be one hump they havent pushed. It still feels a bit emotionally stiff, or all melodrama. Sometimes I wondered if because unlike many movies, for a long time, everything in a game was fantasy. Even voice work and things like that.

I do feel however that the music will continue to get better, and that it is possible that videogame soundtracks will be on par with some film soundtracks.

I myself have played several of the final fantasy piano arrangements. They are really fun.

M
M
I actually think a lot of the recent music in video games is on par with film soundtracks.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
L
L
My piano teacher is asking me to bring in any 10 pieces I'd like to learn

So far I have 5. They're all from video games. That's not good haha

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Video game music always needs to serve a purpose, which is why it can't be developed on its own merit. The tunes are nice but I don't think it'll ever pass film music (which suffers from the same issue). I wish that the composers were also paid to take those themes and develop them into something that's more deeply satisfying. Sure, nostalgia has its uses but it's the emotions associated with the game that colors our idea of the music, not the music itself.

I have often wished that Joe Hisaishi had been able to take the Mononoke theme and develop it into a full symphony as he's shown an ability to score for orchestra, or that the Bioshock composer had been able to develop a piano work longer than a minute and a half. I hear strains of Villa-Lobos and Chopin, and I would love to hear more of it. The Final Fantasy and Zelda series both have been scored for symphony but they're all just fancy transcriptions. Honestly, I don't think the audience would mind if the theme from Final Fantasy was used as a theme for a Final Fantasy Symphony.

Have you guys ever played the game Echochrome? I loved the music so much that I often just sat on the start screen to hear the string quartet.

http://youtu.be/vdJtDIDbIeo

http://youtu.be/alIsiRxL8wc

Because Echochrome is pretty freeform, the composer had the liberty of composing more freely than usual. I like the results.

Last edited by Minaku; 01/28/12 11:03 AM.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minaku
Video game music always needs to serve a purpose, which is why it can't be developed on its own merit. The tunes are nice but I don't think it'll ever pass film music (which suffers from the same issue). I wish that the composers were also paid to take those themes and develop them into something that's more deeply satisfying. Sure, nostalgia has its uses but it's the emotions associated with the game that colors our idea of the music, not the music itself.

I have often wished that Joe Hisaishi had been able to take the Mononoke theme and develop it into a full symphony as he's shown an ability to score for orchestra, or that the Bioshock composer had been able to develop a piano work longer than a minute and a half. I hear strains of Villa-Lobos and Chopin, and I would love to hear more of it. The Final Fantasy and Zelda series both have been scored for symphony but they're all just fancy transcriptions. Honestly, I don't think the audience would mind if the theme from Final Fantasy was used as a theme for a Final Fantasy Symphony.

Have you guys ever played the game Echochrome? I loved the music so much that I often just sat on the start screen to hear the string quartet.

http://youtu.be/vdJtDIDbIeo

http://youtu.be/alIsiRxL8wc

Because Echochrome is pretty freeform, the composer had the liberty of composing more freely than usual. I like the results.

I believe you just said what I was trying to get at, but you did it so much more eloquently!! Because I was struggling with a good way to describe how I felt on the subject.

On a more random thought, I remember how I felt about videogame music when I was 18. I believed whole heartedly that it was the music that was going to shake the snobby closeminded classical people, this was the future of classical music. In hindsight, I really wasn't listening as much as I do now. Heck, I was going to learn all this video game music, and start programing it Beethoven and the like.

Then I actually started listening to more classical music...

E
E
I was really excited upon seeing this thread, and also a little (pleasantly) surprised at the warm responses. I'm not a gamer, but I absolutely adore video game music, even those of games I've never played (which is most games other than Pokemon). Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think of video game remixes. I know the consensus on classical remixes is generally one that's less than enthusiastic, but I think there are some real gems out there, for example music by Doc Nano on Youtube.

It's video game music arranged in an impressionist style, I was really impressed when I first heard it, do give it a listen! I believe this can come close to breaking out of any confines incidental music might have.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Final Fantasy 7 opening and bombing mission, orchestrated.

If you've played the game, you'll get major goosebumps for sure. smile

for reference here is the original version from the game:

Last edited by babama; 02/11/12 02:27 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
But my favorite video game music is the Castlevania IV (SNES) soundtrack.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
That skyrim theme is great!

Another favorite of mine is the Assassin's Creed series. Jesper Kyd does the music for it, and it is awesome!

Here's one of many examples (Assassin's Creed II):

(there is a little bit of electric guitar towards the end,but it isn't terribly prominent in the mix).

[video:youtube]O0i6YFrSs6c[/video]

"City of Rome" from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood:

[video:youtube]wwVvkf5CeJU[/video]

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Did I mention Golden Sun?

I definitely have to add one for Final Fantasy music - particularly the arrangements from the Piano Collections. They really do have a rich sound and require a decent technique to perform successfully. I am happy to attempt to add them to my repertoire.

(As an aside, I think that the Final Fantasy 13 Piano Collections are worth looking at. The new composer Hamazu Masashi has really done a great job!)

Kawai K-3 (2008)
R
R
Here are some more of my favorites:

Wild Arms

DKC Returns

Metal Slug

Katamari Damacy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission