2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
Originally Posted by jivemutha

How does it work? Presumably you use this software with a keyboard that then produces the sound of the Steinway, but what keyboard--any digital? certain special digitals? Disklaviers? Forgive my ignorance but I'm lost here . . .

Any keyboard with a midi out connector will do. You connect it to your PC and the midi data (pitch, velocity etc.) will then play the software piano. The sound per se will come from the software and will be heard from the soundcard of the PC.

C
C
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Galaxy is OK, however there is no true repedaling, only "first-time repedalin" which is kind of buggy.

Are you sure that this is still true, with the new versions?
(I have read that several improvements were made recently.)

Thank you:

Kristof

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I haven't tested the new version, maybe they've fixed it indeed. I don't own it, I have only demoed the first version.

If you have Galaxy 2, you can test it easily: hold a loud bass note with the damper pedal, then quickly release and depress the pedal again. You should be able to do that many times with the sound slightly decaying each time, however if you're quick enough, you may be able to do it for 5-10 times before it looses its velocity. Note that this is working on each digital piano I've tried so far without an exception. Probably because they're looped. However software pianos aren't looped and that makes them difficult to implement for repedaling.

What Galaxy supports in version 1 is: press loud bass key, release it and immediately after that press the damper pedal. However it works only this way. If you "pump up-down" with the damper, it doesn't work.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's a pain. I'm at the Galaxy site listening to the Vienna sample demos: all pretty convincing from a LISTENER'S standpoint, EXCEPT the little bit of Bach they put up at the end which, I'm afraid, sounds totally artificial. Now take the Wet pmi Bos... very old now cheap sample... or even the Black Grand... you can pump some of the poorest midi versions of solo classical piano through the wet pmi and the result from a LISTENER's standpoint is impossible to distinguish from a live 70-80s vintage classical piano recording... plenty of nasty verb, but totally beautiful and convincing sound. Listeners who hate verby recordings won't like the sound... but realistic? Yes, completely and totally. From a player's standpoint? NO NO NO... the pmi wet Bos is NOT a player's sample. Not by a long shot. The Black Grand? A sort of half-way house. Kinda playable and pretty convincing as a "recorded" piano sound. You can't tell it from the real thing, if carefully recorded.

Galaxy II? Still checking it out. I own all the others, or most of them... none are really good "convincing" from the listener's standpoint.

Let me add that Vintage d, ewql, and Garritan are all quite playable with enough power, but NONE of them is like a professionally recorded piano from a LISTENER'S standpoint... which is why I'm revisiting Galaxy 2. Looking for more good, slow, revealing classical solo piano demos from this company. Can't really tell based on what's at their site.

Maybe someone could post something here!

JG

Last edited by johngrant; 01/23/12 05:37 PM.
C
C
Hi all,

I am really close to pull the trigger on Galaxy Pianos.

Could someone please confirm that from here, one can buy each of the four pianos individually?

(I am asking this, because most places only list the Vintage D as a separate package, and the other pianos in a bundle.)

If I buy from SoundsOnDemand, do I get the latest and greatest version? (Or can I update it to the latest version, free of charge?)

What exactly is the meaning of the Download Edition? And there is also an option called "Upgrade from DE" - what would that mean?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally I believe Galaxy had a download version that was cheaper and watered down relative to the boxed version. As i understand it they later changed their mind and let the downloadable version be equal to the boxed set. Purchasing the upgrade would upgrade those people who bought before they change their mind about what the downloadable version is. Someone else can hopefully verify this for me (I think I heard it in the Galaxy forum).

With Vintage D the download and boxed version have always been the same.

In either case, you will download the update to the latest version for free through Native Instruments Content Manager.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/26/12 05:54 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission