Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
153 registered members (anotherscott, Agent88, bennevis, ahinton, AlphaBravoCharlie, ajames, AssociateX, 33 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RCM Grade 1 #1811201
12/23/11 01:16 PM
12/23/11 01:16 PM
Ontario Canada
B
Brian57 Offline OP
Brian57  Offline OP
B

Ontario Canada
Hi, All.

Is anyone here currently working on their RCM Grade 1? I have no musical background but got myself through about 3/4 of Alfred's Adult Book 1 on my own. I could play most of the music to that point but only at about 50-75% of the suggested tempo, and never without mistakes, even at that speed. Who knew "Jingle Bells" was so tricky :-)? I just can not "think" that fast or get my fingers to do what I want that quickly.

So for a switch I picked up the RCM Grade 1 books. Grade 1? These books are Grade 1?? I found much of that music more difficult to play than Alfreds. Do you really have to play those pieces at the suggested tempo to simply pass a Grade 1 exam? Some are so much more difficult than others.

Or is it just me? What is the experience of anyone familiar with RCM Grade 1?

Thanks,
Brian in Canada

currently working with:
RCM Grade 1
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Book 1
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1811267
12/23/11 03:10 PM
12/23/11 03:10 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013
LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm working on Grade 1 now. I'm taking my exam on Jan. 17. I'm working with a teacher though, not sure if I'd dare to take an exam without lessons. They are really not that difficult if you take them very slowly at first and break them down into manageable chunks. It took me a VERY long time to get them good and then even longer to memorize. Do you know the requirements? Scales, and which pieces are required? If not, i can give you a quick rundown.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: LisaE] #1811712
12/24/11 09:33 AM
12/24/11 09:33 AM
Ontario Canada
B
Brian57 Offline OP
Brian57  Offline OP
B

Ontario Canada
Hi, LisaE.

I was hoping that this thread may turn into something like the Alfred's thread, but I guess not too many people are doing these books.

I have an idea of what is required. I can play the scales (C, G,F?) plus their relative minors at the required speed after a few minutes of warm-up. I can play the triads but only if I look at my hands.

In the Repertoire book I can play p#10, Minuet in A Minor at about 90, but always with one or two minor mistakes. It's almost from memory rather than reading the music now. I've been I've been working on that for months, and when I analyse why I can play that it's because there isn't a lot of hand movement. I'd like to play p#13, Minuet in F Major, but it seems pretty daunting. Some of the other songs just seem strange. Hard to believe this is Grade One. :-)

I think co-ordinating the hands is my toughest challenge. I just can't do it quickly.

What songs are you going to play for the exam, and how did you wind up choosing them over the others?

Brian.

currently working with:
RCM Grade 1
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1811728
12/24/11 09:57 AM
12/24/11 09:57 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Brian.

You have to do 3 pieces from the Repertoire book - one each from List A, B and C. I'm also doing p. 10 (Minuet in A Minor) from A, p. 22 (Starry Night) from B and P. 40 (Teapot invention) from C. My teacher and I picked them together - sort of.

I agree about Minuet in Am - less hand "traveling." My problem with that one is the repeat in each section. The first time through seems to go fine, then sometimes I draw a blank the second time - esp. if I get my fingering wrong - it throws the whole thing off for me! Starry Night was very tricky at first but sounds very pretty once you get the hang of it. The other selections in List B are very weird and kiddie-oriented. List A are okay because they are more classical. Teapot (which is really "I'm a little teapot" - drives me nuts!) was my teacher's pick. I curse her every time I play the darn thing. Will be glad to do the exam just to get rid of it. You'd think it was easy - definitely NOT! I would personally suggest doing the two-liner in List C - "Sur le pont 'Avignon." Teacher thought I should do one selection a bit more up-tempo. The book is definitely geared towards kids, so sometimes hard to find an adult-sounding selection.

Coordinating is definitely my biggest challenge too. My right hand is very easy, left is getting better, but putting them together - sooooo hard!! I've been working on these selections for months and months. It's definitely been an exercise in learning patience. I've found in piano there are NO shortcuts. Just go slow, slow, slow, and eventually it will come.

Don't forget you also have to do a selection from the Studies book. I'm doing No. 4 - Study in C Major. P. 9 is not bad either - no repeats, but I had way more pauses in that one, so we went with the one I could play more smoothly. Once I got the other three memorized and sounding decent, the study was pretty easy to put together. Probably easier than the rep. pieces anyway.

You're right about the scales: C, G, F, their relative minors AND harmonic minors - all 2 octaves but only HS. You also have to do C contrary motion, chromatic (just C-G). Also C, G and F staccato - HS, only one octave. And triads for all, broken and solid. I think that's it. There is a book for each Grade, "Technical Requirements for Piano" that makes it easier to practice, if you just go through the whole thing. My teacher already has me started on Grade 2. I have to sign up for that one by Jan. 10 (for April) and my grade 1 isn't until Jan. 17. So hopefully I won't have a total disaster in Grade 1 and never want to go back - I'll be out $100!

I'm sure for the exam they pick a couple of scales and triads and stuff at random (oh, and there's also the sight reading and ear training!). The times for my exam were scheduled less than 15 min. apart, so that's a lot to cram in.

Have fun practicing!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1811757
12/24/11 11:06 AM
12/24/11 11:06 AM
C
CharlieFreak Offline
CharlieFreak  Offline
C

I'm doing RCM Level 1 too. And yes, Brian, I'd think going from 3/4 of the way through Alfred's Adult course, right to RCM 1 would be a rather large jump in difficulty, especially since Alfred's older books are notorious for sticking to certain hand 'positions' for quite a long time, and not forcing you to move around much.

RCM 1 seems to be similar in difficulty to around 3B of a method like Piano Adventures or Alfred's Premier Piano Course.

Looking at the RCM Piano Syllabus, I see that even the RCM Preparatory level contains actual pieces from Piano adventures 2B and Alfred's Premier 2B.

I'm not a piano teacher, just a student like yourself, but I do have a music background (B.M. in Jazz Guitar Performance), and it concerns me a little that you said you've moved on past pieces in your method book with only mastering them at 50-75% of the suggested speed. You might be rushing through things in an attempt to make fast progress?

It's very common with students who self-study any instrument to tend to move on before each new technique is fully internalized to a level that it feels comfortable and natural - but this almost always leads to a very insecure technique and a robotic, shaky tone that lacks proper phrasing, dynamics and musical expression.

If you don't have a teacher, I highly recommend you get the RCM Level 1 CD and listen carefully to the performances of those pieces played by a skilled pianist and aim to make your own playing match that. That has been very helpful to me in getting the pieces to sound good.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: CharlieFreak] #1812248
12/25/11 03:00 PM
12/25/11 03:00 PM
Ontario Canada
B
Brian57 Offline OP
Brian57  Offline OP
B

Ontario Canada
Wow, great info, thanks to both of you.

LisaE, Teapot does look easy but I tried it and hands separate is OK, hands together, forget about it! That two-liner you mentioned is another one that I've worked on. It takes me about 10 minutes of practicing it each time but then I can play it not too bad.

CharlieFreak, with regards to my speed I find that I will get a piece up to a certain speed and then at that point I seem to not be able to move my fingers accurately any quicker. I guess a couple of the simpler Alfred's pieces I could play at a decent tempo, but rarely, if ever, 100% clean. I can't "think" that quickly is the best way I can describe it. To get any faster I wind up memorizing it and not really reading the music so instead I tend to try and progress by learning different pieces slowly in order to improve my note and interval recognition and orientation with the keyboard.

In the RCM book once I find a couple of pieces that I like I am going to try to bring them up to speed, but again, with the one piece I've spent time on I definitely don't read the music, I just use it as a rough reminder as to where I am. When I slip up it takes a while to figure out where my fingers should be to start over again.

Oh, and as part of my new found fascination with music I took a group guitar lesson for 8 weeks as well. Wow. Accomplished musicians are so underated, that's all I can say!

I'll look around for that CD, Charlie Freak.

Thanks again, all.

Cheers,
Brian.

currently working with:
RCM Grade 1
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1812253
12/25/11 03:04 PM
12/25/11 03:04 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
You're right about slipping up when you try to read. I did find it happening less often once I memorized them (as long as I didn't have a brain freeze). You are supposed to memorize for the exam, but you can give up a few points to have the music in front of you instead of doing it from memory. I was going to go that route until I realized that losing my place was happening MORE when reading. So I'm going to try to do the exam without the music.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1812439
12/26/11 02:14 AM
12/26/11 02:14 AM
Canada
Bluoh Offline
Bluoh  Offline

Canada
Sounds great! Grab ahold of an RCM syllabus to be sure of the requirements. Go for a few lessons and a practice exam to prepare for your actual exam-- without lessons or experience playing for strangers, being judged and potentially criticized in a room with a stranger is very strange if you're not used to it!

A quick tip, avoid theatres or large, open rooms for your exam destination! It'll be easier on your nerves and the sound will be more familiar (without potential echoes or distortions)!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Bluoh] #1812524
12/26/11 09:54 AM
12/26/11 09:54 AM
Bardstown,Ky
K
kylefty Offline
kylefty  Offline
K

Bardstown,Ky
I got the RCM level 1 books for Christmas. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet but looking forward to it for today. Yesterday was too busy, today will be more quiet. I hope this thread will continue. It would be nice to hear about others working on this level.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: kylefty] #1815113
12/30/11 11:20 AM
12/30/11 11:20 AM
Bardstown,Ky
K
kylefty Offline
kylefty  Offline
K

Bardstown,Ky
Just looked at the syllabus for level 1. WOW! That's a lot of work.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1816838
01/02/12 01:48 AM
01/02/12 01:48 AM
C
CharlieFreak Offline
CharlieFreak  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Brian57
CharlieFreak, with regards to my speed I find that I will get a piece up to a certain speed and then at that point I seem to not be able to move my fingers accurately any quicker. I guess a couple of the simpler Alfred's pieces I could play at a decent tempo, but rarely, if ever, 100% clean. I can't "think" that quickly is the best way I can describe it. To get any faster I wind up memorizing it and not really reading the music so instead I tend to try and progress by learning different pieces slowly in order to improve my note and interval recognition and orientation with the keyboard.

I hear ya, Brian. It's certainly a challenge to get some of them up to full speed. A couple of the RCM Etudes I've worked on were quite a challenge to get to speed and still have them sound very even and musical. But that's what etudes are for! grin

I doubt it will be much use for your reading skills to continue to stare at the music for these. After a week or two they will mostly be committed to memory whether you like it or not. But that's a GOOD thing.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1816846
01/02/12 02:10 AM
01/02/12 02:10 AM
C
CharlieFreak Offline
CharlieFreak  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Brian57
Accomplished musicians are so underated, that's all I can say!

As you progress along and get better and better at piano (or guitar) that feeling only increases. The more you understand, and the better you play, the more you realize just how tall of a mountain it is - to reach the level of someone like Martha Argerich or Marc-André Hamelin or Bill Evans. And you'll understand why even accomplished musicians are in awe of those people.

That's been my experience with guitar, anyway. I'm sure it'll be the same with piano.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: CharlieFreak] #1818307
01/04/12 10:12 AM
01/04/12 10:12 AM
Ontario Canada
B
Brian57 Offline OP
Brian57  Offline OP
B

Ontario Canada
Well, I'm going to try and keep this thread alive, at least until I can grill LisaE on the exam. smile

Some of the pieces in the Repertoire book seem SO much more difficult than others. Also, it seems to me that many of the pieces that were composed more recently are just "strange" and I have no interest in attempting them. Generally where the composer is still alive smile

Also, including pieces in the book that are in keys that are not included in the syllabus is just one more hurdle that I'm not ready to tackle at this time. Three flats, four sharps? Reading intervals is tricky enough with one sharp or flat.

Any comments from teachers out there?

I'll try to pick a couple of pieces with a lot of hand movement, but in C, F or G (or one of thier minors) for now.

What pieces are others working on?

Brian57

currently working with:
RCM Grade 1
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1818317
01/04/12 10:36 AM
01/04/12 10:36 AM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
I'm not familar with RCM and the repertoire book, but are you sure you are just looking at the grade 1 material?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Andy Platt] #1818395
01/04/12 12:56 PM
01/04/12 12:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
Alisong Offline
Alisong  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Yes, this sounds like RCM grade 1. Students do not start from scratch within the RCM system; they would normally need a year or two of preparatory work before they are ready to start with grade 1.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1818424
01/04/12 01:54 PM
01/04/12 01:54 PM
N
nanette0269 Offline
nanette0269  Offline
N

Strange...I never heard of this program and I am from the midwest! smile Just out of curiousity, I looked up the flute syllabus and I was playing grade 9 when I finished high school. Who knew smile

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: nanette0269] #1818607
01/04/12 06:47 PM
01/04/12 06:47 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Brian, I totally agree about some pieces being much more difficult than others. There seems to be quite a wide range of difficulty - you should definitely play a few to see which are the easiest for you. I also agree about the List B pieces. Some of them are SO strange-sounding - very hard to find one that doesn't sound awful to me.

I've just registered for the Grade 2 exam in April (I know, I'm obviously a glutton for punishment, but the deadline is before the Gr. 1 exam!) so we started picking out a couple of pieces to start on at my last lesson. Oddly enough, I found a couple of them actually easier than Grade 1. Not sure if that is just because I've been working on the Grade 1 pieces for so long. I think the List B pieces are even worse in Grade 2, but the List A have some nice, classic pieces - recognizable pieces and composers, which is nice.

Getting very nervous about the exam; my pieces were all fine at my lesson, but so worried about doing it for real. I'll definitely check back afterward (it's on Jan. 17) with the gory details.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1826490
01/17/12 01:04 PM
01/17/12 01:04 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
So the exam is over, thank goodness. I think (hope) I passed (pass mark is only 60), but there certainly won't be any medals awarded for that performance! I was sooooo nervous and spent all morning trying to keep myself relatively calm. I thought I was doing pretty well until I sat down at the piano. But the examiner was very kind and friendly, which was great.

I pretty much got through the List A piece okay. Just a few wrong notes, but I didn't stop. Then I started the List B piece and got all twisted up the first few notes. So I asked if I could start again and he said sure. That time was much better. But by the end of that one, my hands were shaking so badly I didn't know if I would get through List C. I had to restart that one too, and was okay until the last few notes, where I tend to trip up if at all. But again, probably enough to pass.

The first part of the study was okay, but the second part not so good. So about 3/4 of the piece I'd say was fine.

The scales were a lot easier than I thought, just a few different scales - only one hand of each, then one broken-chord triad and one solid chord triad. I didn't even have to do C contrary motion, which I was kind of disappointed in because that's my favorite! I should have scored well on the sca;es. I was anticipating a lot worse.

The sight reading was a breeze - just one two-bar piece, a few notes in the left hand then a few in the right, and he gave me a few minutes to look at it, so that went well. Then there was a two-measure piece where you had to read it and clap the rhythm. Easy-peasy. The ear training is always my weak point. He played a simple tune and I had to clap the rhythm. The first measure was fine; I couldn't remember the second measure. Then there was a 4-note series I had to play back. I faltered on one note but got it right the second time.

So all in all, I'm happy I did it and managed to survive. I'm pretty sure I made enough partial points that I'll get a pass out of it and that's good enough for me for my first time.

My Grade 2 exam is scheduled for April. Hopefully I'll do better at that one, since at least I know how these things go now so should be more comfortable.

I hope this helps anyone who may be preparing for their exam - I wish you the best of luck!!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: LisaE] #1826518
01/17/12 01:38 PM
01/17/12 01:38 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by LisaE
So the exam is over, thank goodness. I think (hope) I passed (pass mark is only 60), but there certainly won't be any medals awarded for that performance! I was sooooo nervous and spent all morning trying to keep myself relatively calm. I thought I was doing pretty well until I sat down at the piano. But the examiner was very kind and friendly, which was great.

Most people seem to do much better on the easier grades than they thought ... cross fingers!

Can you let us know what pieces you played?

Kawai K3
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Andy Platt] #1826522
01/17/12 01:44 PM
01/17/12 01:44 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
List A: Minuet in A Minor
List B: A Starry Night
List C: Teapot Invention
Study: Study in C Major (Diabelli - p. 7)

Already started the Grade 2 pieces and they don't seem nearly as hard as the Grade 1 pieces did at the beginning!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1826674
01/17/12 06:11 PM
01/17/12 06:11 PM
Calgary Alberta
Z
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member
ZoeCalgary  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

Calgary Alberta
Hi LisaE good for you for doing this and thanks for sharing your experience in such detail! It gives me great confidence for my April exam. (RCM 4). I'm sure you did very well. How long did the whole thing take?

My week point is the ear tests as well. I found a 2'cd set at the Music store that has clapping, interval, and melody playback exercises. It also comes with a book showing all the exercises. It was $30 but it has Alot of exercises (55 sets or something like that) and I thought I would give it a try. It seems pretty good to me. If you're interested I can get you the exact title.

Wow already working on the next grade! Good for you!

Coming back after a long while.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: ZoeCalgary] #1826679
01/17/12 06:41 PM
01/17/12 06:41 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks Zoe. The whole thing took less than 15 minutes. Probably more like 10. That was what surprised me the most. Bear in mind this is only Grade 1, so only one study. Grade 3 and up have 2 and presumably the pieces are longer and sight reading, etc. more involved.

Is the CD/book set specifically RCM stuff or just general? Either way, I would be very interested in the title - sounds very useful. My issue is my memory (at my advanced age - turned 50 on Sat. - LOL). As soon as I start clapping back, I forget the second part of the exercise. Maybe the brain cells will reconnect eventually - one can only hope!!

Onward and upward - we'll have to compare notes in April!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: LisaE] #1826713
01/17/12 08:04 PM
01/17/12 08:04 PM
Ontario Canada
B
Brian57 Offline OP
Brian57  Offline OP
B

Ontario Canada
Hi, LisaE.

Congrats on getting through it. Nerve wracking at our age indeed (I'm 54). A couple of questions:

1. Do you get a warm-up somewhere or do you just go in and start cold? I might get through it as you did with a false start or two but I think I'd need more than that.

2. Roughly what tempo did you play the pieces at in relation to the suggested tempo in the book? When practicing did you ever measure yourself (ie play along with a metronome?)

Best of luck with Grade 2 and please keep us (me) posted.

Cheers,
Brian.

currently working with:
RCM Grade 1
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1826715
01/17/12 08:06 PM
01/17/12 08:06 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Happy Birthday and Congratulations on taking your exam.

I've been trying to change my signature quote for weeks.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1826718
01/17/12 08:10 PM
01/17/12 08:10 PM
Calgary Alberta
Z
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member
ZoeCalgary  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

Calgary Alberta
Hi again LisaE,

Wow that is fast. I dont imagine my exam will be much longer. Right now i have a 3 page piece, two 1 page pieces, and 2 one page studies. There is more technical requirements to know but i think they just pick and choose a few.

when I try to clap back I can get lost too. My teacher suggested I just memorize the tune and try to clap back. Sometimes this works and sometimes not because then I start thinking of actual notes. Maybe that will help you a bit.

So the book is called Comprehensive Ear Training Professional Series. By Carol Schlosar (Frederic Harris music). On the back it says preparation for examinations of The Royal Conservatory of Music and the National Music Certificate Program. This book comes with 2 CDs and 56 sessions. Each session has 2 rhythm clap back exercises, 6 intervals, and 3 melody playback pieces. There are some worksheets in the back too to write your answers. It is $31.95.

I guess you can also get a Student Series which comes with 1 cd and about 24-32 exercises. If I remember correctly it was about half the cost of the first series I mentioned. I think you can get just the book or just the cd. But for me I needed to have somebody else play the tunes. When I played these on my own I get them all right but at lessons only about 50% of them. I just started using them so time will tell if this will help me. But I figured I need all the help I can get!! (I'll be 45 this year!) You need the book to check your answers as only the exercises are on the cd. So far so good though. I though it was well done. Each session is on a different track so you can rewind and listen again very easily. I copied these to my phone so I can do this with headphones even away from the piano.

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1826756
01/17/12 09:12 PM
01/17/12 09:12 PM
Calgary Alberta
Z
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member
ZoeCalgary  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

Calgary Alberta
Oh yes I forgot to say Happy Birthday to you!!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1827103
01/18/12 12:16 PM
01/18/12 12:16 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks Zoe. I think I will look into that CD/book for sure. I think it would help me a lot. I'm really hoping ear training is a practice and time thing and not a simple lack of ability to hear things in that way!

Brian, they do NOT give you chance to warm up (at least not in my exam). So here I am starting cold with repertoire pieces on an older grand piano when I normally practice on my Clavinova digital at home and an upright at lessons. On the program form you have to fill out listing which pieces you are doing, you can choose the order in which you do the tests: (1) repertoire, studies, technical or (2) technical, studies, repertoire. They always do sight reading/ear training at the end. In retrospect, I maybe should have done the technical (scales) first, then I would have gotten the feel of the piano. As it was, there was a key in the left hand that I pressed too lightly - twice - and no sound came out, so it sounded like I missed a note. I did the repertoire first because I know I get MUCH more nervous the longer I play (that's what happened at the Xmas recital) rather than calmer, and the pieces are worth a lot more than the scales.

As for tempo, I did practice with a metronome and did the List A and B pieces at the proper tempo, because they were pretty slow. I know Teapot and the Study should have been quite a bit faster, but thought I'd err on the side of caution and try to get more accuracy and take the hit on speed. I'll have to wait for the marks to see how that panned out!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Brian57] #1832380
01/26/12 03:00 PM
01/26/12 03:00 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, I just got my mark - only took 9 days, not 3-4 weeks as listed, thank goodness. I got a mark of 83, which is FIRST CLASS HONOURS!!!! Soooooo happy!!!!!!! Hopefully that will ease my nerves a bit for the Grade 2 exam. Really motivated for tonight's practice now!!

Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: LisaE] #1832404
01/26/12 03:57 PM
01/26/12 03:57 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by LisaE
Well, I just got my mark - only took 9 days, not 3-4 weeks as listed, thank goodness. I got a mark of 83, which is FIRST CLASS HONOURS!!!! Soooooo happy!!!!!!! Hopefully that will ease my nerves a bit for the Grade 2 exam. Really motivated for tonight's practice now!!

Congrats!

Originally Posted by Some Wise Person
Most people seem to do much better on the easier grades than they thought ... cross fingers!

wink

Kawai K3
Re: RCM Grade 1 [Re: Andy Platt] #1832421
01/26/12 04:28 PM
01/26/12 04:28 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
L
LisaE Offline

LisaE  Offline

L

Nova Scotia, Canada
Guess I should listen to Some Wise People here at PW!! But I already knew that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,344
Posts2,761,422
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission