2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1832034 01/26/12 02:17 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I've playing nearly 2 weeks now, and have taken after learning what the notes are and where on music staff (C and F clef) I,m reading everything I play. It's slow going to start with but I want to get over a main hurdle before my initial enthusiasm fades a little. I'm up to Alternate Hands with Mikrocosmos and I can just about read ahead one note. As I am self teaching (Can't afford lessons) I'm interested as to what anyone recommends in terms of what I should be practising. Am I making it hard for myself ?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by rbaggaley
I've playing nearly 2 weeks now, and have taken after learning what the notes are and where on music staff (C and F clef) I,m reading everything I play.

That's probably the G and F clefs. If you are, in fact, reading from the C clef, then I would not worry too much about rate of progress!

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
LoPresti #1832039 01/26/12 02:34 AM
R
OP Offline
R
oops yes the G and F clefs.

D
D
I am about 5 weeks new had to learn to read music now i am learn to play piano, When i started sight reading i just started learning the notes on G then F, then using basic sheet music read the notes as i play them one by one, There comes a point where you will need to learn intervals if you want to go faster, One other point is if your getting a bit bored with sight reading do something else like - scales - or learn an easy song then go back to sight reading .

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The best thing you can do is encounter as much music as possible over a long period of time. Preferably music of different styles. The Bartok is great, but it might progress too fast for you. As long as you are able to do well with it continue. Just be sure to look at more "beginner" things. Perhaps a method book like Hal Leonard's Adult Method would be a good place to start. A method book at least introduces things in an order that makes sense to help you build skills upon already learned skills rather than jumping around or guessing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I don't know what you mean by "making it hard for [your]self." If you were trying to piece out some advanced piece by Chopin or Mozart, then, sure you are.
But if you're taking it one note at a time, slowly, with the hands separate--then no. You're doing just what you should.
Morodiene's advice is the best. Just take it slowly, every day, over a looooong period of time. This is a brand new skill, and it's not going to come quickly. A good adult beginner course (note Alfred's in these forums) is a good place to start.
But don't overlook very elementary books--those designed for children. Remember, you ARE a beginner, no matter what your age. When I started in my 50s, I got some of those really fundamental books for a couple of bucks each and worked through them. Yes, the tunes were childish and simple, but they were just what I needed to get some confidence reading the notes--especially both clefs at the same time.

I'm getting there--note by note.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission