2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
All this talk about CFX samples! The N2 with its CF-IIIS samples is pretty darn dark sounding. I like it very much but also like to change to the brighter one when I jam with people and use Aebersold. I find nice. I will be interested in hearing the CFX sample. It would have to be a lot richer in sound, for me to consider trading up some day. Obviously, I would never trade down to upright version even if it had a Fazioli sample.

Of course if a newer version of AG with CFX sample as well as better EP sounds with stereo vibrato and some other things that add to the experience of an acoustic; then I would certainly go for it. One other thing they could do was to add a strip along top in front of music rack that you could muffle strings or pluck; that would be very cool!!!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
OP Offline
G
YAMAHA NU-1 Specifications:

Keyboard:
88notes (A1-C7)
Type: White Keys: Acrylic resin/ Black Keys: Phoenolic resin
Action: Specialized Upright Piano Action for NU-1
Touch Sensitivity (Fixed/Soft/Medium/Hard)

Pedal:
Number of Pedals: 3(Damper w/half pedal effect, Sostenute & Soft)
GP Responsive Damper Pedal: YES

Voice:
Tone Generation Technology: CFX Sampling
Polyphony (Max.): 256
Number of Voices: 5

Functions:
Reverb, Metronome, Tempo, Transpose, Tuning, Scale (7 Types), Intelligent Acoustic Control

Song (MIDI):
Preset Songs: 50 + 5 Demo
Recording Songs: 10 User
Tracks: 1

USB Audio Recorder: YES

Headphones: YES x 2
MIDI: IN/OUT
AUX IN: [L/L+R][R]
AUX OUT: [L/L+R][R]
USB: [TO HOST][TO DEVICE]

Dimensions: W X D X H (1501mm x 463mm x 1024mm)

Weight: 109kg

Music Rest: Yes

YAMAHA's M.S.R.P. (USA) $5,499

Available by Summer 2012

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Wow, great information. Thanks G.P.H.! Do you have access to this same specification sheet for the N1? There's been talk about it having CFX sampling as well.

G
OP Offline
G
According to Yamaha's N1, N2 & N3 brochure under Voice section (Tone Generation Technology) Yamaha calls it Spatial Acoustic Sampling. I believe Yamaha sampled the CFIII-S via four separate microphones for these models. In the NU-1 brochure that I have it clearly states "CFX Sampling"

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Haus
According to Yamaha's N1, N2 & N3 brochure under Voice section (Tone Generation Technology) Yamaha calls it Spatial Acoustic Sampling. I believe Yamaha sampled the CFIII-S via four separate microphones for these models. In the NU-1 brochure that I have it clearly states "CFX Sampling"
And the plot thickens. Did Yamaha do a quick stereo sample from CFX to keep price point different from AG line?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
It wasn't quick ....took about 3 months

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I can also confirm that it has a version of the CFX sample set

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Can you confirm or deny what James was told about the N1 having the CFX sample set as well?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"A version"?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
It wasn't quick ....took about 3 months

Did they get Alicia to press each key again?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by doremi
It is probably done with robotic fingers...

Ah, that explains why Arnold visited Hamamatsu last year!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hahaha James, that's hilarious. The N1 uses CFIIIS samples, same as the N3/2.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
"A version"?

Yamaha likes to slice and dice these things depending on how much you spend. The problem is they perform this unnecessary surgery regardless of how much you spend.

Did they get Alicia to press each key again?

Ha ha! That stupid story never gets old. I'm just not 100% clear on the main intended target of that bamboozling (i.e. did they actually lead Alecia to believe she was participating in the sampling process, or was she in on it?).

S
S
i think i would like a piano like this if it came in about 4000.00 street. I had a upright last year but couldn't take the double striking and lack of fast repetition like a grand can do. So I went back to digital. But if they somehow fixed the repetition issue in this action that would be a big plus. Although i sure would like an N1 if i could pay cash for one.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Can you confirm or deny what James was told about the N1 having the CFX sample set as well?

The N1 has the same CF111s based sample set as the N2 and N3

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
"A version"?

James
x

Yep a version, for instance the s6 was sampled in one session then those samples were processed into different versions for different Yamaha products, Motif, CP1, CLP series etc
The CFX has been sampled and now will be placed into various new model Yamaha pianos over the next couple of years.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't believe this was posted here ...

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/pianos_keyboard/authentic_touch_elegant_form/

1/19/2012 [Pianos & Keyboards]
Superb Upright Launches New Hybrid Piano Category

ANAHEIM, Calif.—Yamaha introduces the NU1, a new hybrid piano that combines the traditional sound and feel of an acoustic instrument with the industry's most innovative digital technology. Featuring the same acoustic piano action used in Yamaha upright pianos, housed in a refined, compact design, the NU1 brings the renowned sound of Yamaha to any home.

NU1 is part of a newly established hybrid category that also features the AvantGrand Series of pianos. Introduced in 2009, the acclaimed technology of the AvantGrand offers advanced piano sound reproduction without the tuning, cost or footprint of a comparable stringed instrument. This hybrid category caters to serious players who live in small spaces, as well as families on limited budgets, offering them the feel and sound of an acoustic grand.

"The touch and feel of a piano is vitally important to any pianist, whether they're just starting out or playing at a professional level," says Jim Levesque, hybrid piano marketing manager, Yamaha Corporation of America. "The NU1 delivers an authentic playing experience that is almost indistinguishable from that of an acoustic piano."

With the same action and natural wood keys used in Yamaha's finest upright pianos, the NU1 offers a realistic feel that is sure to inspire. The NU1 utilizes Yamaha's newly-developed acoustic technology to reproduce the characteristic resonance felt when playing an acoustic piano. This authentic action is complemented by remarkable sound sampled directly from Yamaha's elite fleet of hand-built concert grand pianos.

The elegant simplicity of the NU1 blends effortlessly into any setting, adding an air of distinction without being imposing. Echoing the superb sound and playability of the AvantGrand Series, the NU1 offers the warmth and natural presence of an acoustic instrument in a stylish, compact form.

For more information on the NU1, visit Yamaha Corporation of America at Winter NAMM 2012 at the Anaheim Marriott Marquis Ballroom; write Yamaha Corporation of America, Keyboard Division, P.O. Box 6600, Buena Park, CA 90622; telephone (714) 522-9011; e-mail infostation@yamaha.com; visit www.yamaha.com/keyboards.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission