2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
49 members (AB Forum Recital, fntms, Cocorbett, CajunJ, Elminster, Boboulus, Emigre, earlofmar, 11 invisible), 445 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Self-Tuning Piano
Don A. Gilmore #1829235 01/21/12 07:30 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Don A. Gilmore
The system offers the option to re-tune it at any time. There is a keyswitch under the piano. When you switch it, it warms the piano to a median temperature. Then you tune it. When you switch it back, the new tuning is stored and used from then on. I have never had to use this feature.

Thanks. This clarifies things considerably.

Starting with warm (lower tension strings) during the initial technician tuning provides "headroom" for the inevitable drop in pitch of strings with time.

I must have missed that point or never thought of it.

Now it's all making sense; and I see that this could be a breakthrough in piano technology. Not that it needed any. wink

Now it comes down to cost installed and gaining acceptance. From what I can see here (and had the space/money) for a grand, it would be worth pursuing.

Glenn

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Don A. Gilmore #1829237 01/21/12 07:37 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I already want it on all three of my pianos. Imagine never, ever to have that annoying feeling two days after a tuning when one unison goes slightly out, then four days later two more unisons go out, and again even more a week later . . . until you're just putting off having to tune the piano again, and getting less and less enjoyment out of it.

Admittedly I only get this feeling on the two less stable pianos I have (somehow the Hardman holds a tuning solidly for ages), but even on that piano, it would be nice never, ever to have to experience even a slow deterioration of the tuning again.

But I still want to see a demonstration of the fully tuned piano before I believe it's as good as claimed.

Last edited by charleslang; 01/21/12 07:38 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
Don A. Gilmore #1829303 01/21/12 09:38 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
With all due respect to Don, and his self-tuning piano invention, I would have to see and hear it in person to believe that it would perfectly fine tune the piano with the push of a button... the middle C in the video sounded a little dissonant to me after it was said to be perfectly in tuned.

What the computer software says is at proper pitch may not be so in real life and to the human ear, taking inharmonisity (slight imperfections) and other factors into consideration.

I'm very particular about my pianos... I want them in tune, or at least reasonably in tune when I play (or at least try to smile ). I've learned to do that myself with a high degree of success and satisfaction that my piano is in tune… and I enjoy doing it (most of the time laugh ).

If the self-tuning piano device works as represented, it may well have monumental implications for the piano industry… but I’m not convinced by watching a YouTube video. So, I guess I’m from Missouri on this one… smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Don A. Gilmore #1829346 01/21/12 10:49 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Rickster, having made similar observations to his.

While I welcome the innovation, I would need to see more.

I can understand how possibly it might help to maintain a tuning.

But as far as I'm concerned, a real tuning involves turning the tuning pins. After all, that is what they are for.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
Don A. Gilmore #1829379 01/21/12 11:47 PM
E
E
Don,

If you have a chance please reply to my post above -- I posted several questions and some thoughts for you.

Additionally, how many cents total can you lower the pitch of a string? Does it depend on the diameter of the string?

My main concern is that once a string goes flat at room temperature, then there is no way to tune it without a manual tuning, right? Can you tune the piano in real-time, i.e., while it's being played to optimize the tuning of each string as the ambient temperature changes in a room/on stage or as a string slowly goes flat?

If that can be done then I can see it augmenting a proper tuning, but never really replacing it unless you have some way to raise the pitch under computer control too. I love the idea of being able to achieve various alternate tunings under computer control (e.g. pythogorean I believe is what they are called, but I don't recall the technical term). I'm wondering if someone here can expound on the benefits of such a tuning. Thanks.

Last edited by efriis; 01/22/12 12:09 AM.
Don A. Gilmore #1829382 01/21/12 11:50 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Or the tuning there everything is calculated and in line exactly with the harmonic series. That'd be cool.

Don A. Gilmore #1829386 01/21/12 11:55 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Answer me this. According to the computer screen, the pitch was lowered on one string by at least 29 cents.

But I'm pretty sure my piano will not go 29 cents flat if I heat the room to 95 degrees. (I'm pretty sure since it gets to be over 100 degrees where I live, and I don't always have the air conditioning on).

Something doesn't add up.

Semi-pro pianist
efriis #1829389 01/22/12 12:04 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by efriis

My main concern is that once a string gos flat at room temperature, then there is no way to tune it without a manual tuning, right? Can yoy tune the piano in real-time, i.e., while it's being played to optimize the tuning of each string as the ambient temperature changes in a room/on stage or as a string slowly goes flat?

If that can be done then I can see it augmenting a proper tuning, but never really replacing it unless you have some way to raise the pitch under computer control too.

I'm not going to try to speak for Don, but the idea is clearly that the piano is tuned a little sharp at room temperature. When the system heats up, the pitches fall and the piano is tuned to, say A=440. If some strings lose some tension, the system simply puts less current through those strings, and the piano is still up to pitch when the system is on.

Don has already said that during the last six years, none of the pitches has fallen low enough that the system cannot compensate. (It's not clear whether he meant that the piano still goes to A440, though, from what I understand.)

Semi-pro pianist
Don A. Gilmore #1829397 01/22/12 12:24 AM
E
E
Charles, Thanks, that makes sense, though the sooner after the manual (slightly sharp) tuning the more current he's going to need to run through the strings. I wonder if he's measured what effect the regular expansion and contraction of the strings does to their life span and whether they are affected at all. I don't know what the duty cycle is of a typical piano string or how often they break or need to be replaced.

rocket88 #1829413 01/22/12 12:52 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

"First, folks who do it the old way will fight it, just like the medical establishment fought the discovery of penicillin back in the 1930's."

Well put. smile

Dave Koenig
Yamaha M1A console
1927 Knabe 7' 8" grand
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/
PaintedPostDave #1829428 01/22/12 01:53 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PaintedPostDave

"First, folks who do it the old way will fight it, just like the medical establishment fought the discovery of penicillin back in the 1930's."

Well put. smile

It's very possible. But, hard to tell from the present point of view. Just to provide the opposite possibility, consider the Aurora Safety Car from 1957. It was built in order to reduce pedestrian injuries from collisions. Yes, those bulbous areas are relatively soft and are supposed to act like pillows. It may sound silly now, but it was forward-looking at the time, no doubt (view is of the front end).

[Linked Image]

Semi-pro pianist
charleslang #1829440 01/22/12 02:26 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by charleslang
Answer me this. According to the computer screen, the pitch was lowered on one string by at least 29 cents.

But I'm pretty sure my piano will not go 29 cents flat if I heat the room to 95 degrees. (I'm pretty sure since it gets to be over 100 degrees where I live, and I don't always have the air conditioning on).

Perhaps what's missing is that with the room at a higher temperature, the cast iron frame will also warm up and expand which compensates for the expanding strings. As the frame gets longer, it stretches the strings. While there is a difference in thermal coefficient of expansion between iron and steel, it's not terribly significant.

Glenn

Glenn NK #1829446 01/22/12 02:42 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Glenn NK

Perhaps what's missing is that with the room at a higher temperature, the cast iron frame will also warm up and expand which compensates for the expanding strings. As the frame gets longer, it stretches the strings. While there is a difference in thermal coefficient of expansion between iron and steel, it's not terribly significant.

Glenn

It's an interesting proposal, but the strings will warm much faster than the cast iron, since they have such a small diameter. On a hot day, the air might go from 75 to 100 degrees in three hours. I think the cast iron would lag considerably behind the strings in reaching that temperature.

Semi-pro pianist
charleslang #1829447 01/22/12 02:46 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by efriis

My main concern is that once a string goes flat at room temperature, then there is no way to tune it without a manual tuning, right? Can you tune the piano in real-time, i.e., while it's being played to optimize the tuning of each string as the ambient temperature changes in a room/on stage or as a string slowly goes flat?

If that can be done then I can see it augmenting a proper tuning, but never really replacing it unless you have some way to raise the pitch under computer control too.

I'm not going to try to speak for Don, but the idea is clearly that the piano is tuned a little sharp at room temperature. When the system heats up, the pitches fall and the piano is tuned to, say A=440. If some strings lose some tension, the system simply puts less current through those strings, and the piano is still up to pitch when the system is on.

Don has already said that during the last six years, none of the pitches has fallen low enough that the system cannot compensate. (It's not clear whether he meant that the piano still goes to A440, though, from what I understand.)

My understanding:

I think he said the strings (only) are warmed up during the initial manual tuning. Then when the manual tuning is complete, the warming system is turned off, the strings cool, get shorter, and will rise in pitch (they will all be sharper than A440 when cool).

If a string or two slip and go flat, the system is turned on, all the strings warm up, lowering the tension of all the strings, and also their pitch.

Of course, the strings that slipped are still flatter than the others, but then the system takes over and warms up each individual string to a temperature that matches it to the tuning of the strings that slipped.

Of course one cannot possibly warm up a flat string to match the pitch of strings that didn't slip (elementary physics). So the system starts the entire piano at a higher overall pitch, allowing the system "headroom" to adjust to slippage of some strings.

Glenn

Don A. Gilmore #1829496 01/22/12 06:03 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'm guessing the heater is turned on before regulation and voicing?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Don A. Gilmore #1829560 01/22/12 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Rockett88

For the record, it was Rocket88 who said it first...

Credit where credit is due... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
charleslang #1829565 01/22/12 09:56 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...On a hot day, the air might go from 75 to 100 degrees in three hours....

Not in my house! I keep it cold enough to use the down comforter in July.

I'm happy to see Don's progress. I've followed his journey with this for many years. I remain convinced it's an elegant idea that *will* ultimately succeed. And maybe make our old classics a little more obsolete.

rocket88 #1829581 01/22/12 10:40 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
First, folks who do it the old way will fight it, just like the medical establishment fought the discovery of penicillin back in the 1930's.

Well Put. smile

Maybe now. mad

Dave Koenig
Yamaha M1A console
1927 Knabe 7' 8" grand
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/
Don A. Gilmore #1829645 01/22/12 12:50 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Wow! That's what I get for going out on Saturday night. I'll try to answer some more questions before you guys guess the whole thing into oblivion.

There is almost no limit to how far you can pull a string flat. While experimenting I have flattened strings more than 100 cents. The problem is they can get pretty hot. 95 F is an approximate *average* temperature. Obviously the strings are all at different temperatures depending on how far they have been tuned. They're not all at 95 F.

I deliberately tuned the three strings in the video to exaggerate and make the unison sound awful to better demonstrate the capability of the system. Normally all three strings go about the same degree sharp when the system is off and the unisons don't sound too bad. In fact the piano as a whole doesn't sound too bad. If you didn't know it was sharp, it sounds like a piano that was tuned maybe a few months ago. That's why it's hard to do a demo, since the difference is not that pronounced, especially with a crude recording like the one I made with my little digital camera.

As for the tension of the strings, an in-tune string always has the same tension regardless of its temperature. The tension and length are what decides the pitch. I am controlling that tension by controlling the temperature. The tension doesn't vary much more than when you're out of tune and your tech tunes it now.

Remember that this is simply copying a "recorded" tuning. The piano is manually tuned when warm. At that time the tech takes all of the technical aspects of the tuning into mind (stretching, inharmonicity, etc.). When he's done, each string is at a given fundamental frequency. That's what is stored and repeated. All the harmonics of that string follow that fundamental, so returning to that exact frequency always produces the same result.

Here is a radio interview I did a couple of years ago on NPR that might explain some more:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=878091

Last edited by Don A. Gilmore; 01/22/12 12:52 PM.

Don A. Gilmore
Kansas City
Don A. Gilmore #1829664 01/22/12 01:13 PM
Okay, that explains it a little better... the piano is tuned to theoretical perfection by a real piano technician first, and this tuning is used as a bench-mark for subsequent electronic tunings.

That makes more sense.

Wishing you all the best with your fascinating invention, Don.

Rick

Last edited by Rickster; 01/22/12 01:14 PM.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai announces DG30 digital grand piano
by Kawai James - 07/15/20 06:01 AM
What to do when you get a new piano?
by Soojin - 07/15/20 01:52 AM
Muffled sounding Yamaha C2X
by Soojin - 07/15/20 01:45 AM
Microphone for a singer
by PhilipInChina - 07/14/20 11:37 PM
Paint over cracks in grand Soundboard
by freelife - 07/14/20 09:01 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,264
Posts2,980,799
Members97,771
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission