2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
To me most DPs of today sound fantastic. I absolutely love the sound of my new DP. However, are we DP owners biased when listening to DP sounds (our own in particular)? What do you think?

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yes we are biased. Once you have spent a lot of money on something there is an incentive to feel that you made the right choice. When I try to be more objective I have to conclude that digital pianos are just toys in comparison to the real thing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I spent a lot of money on a Clavinova ... and I think the sound stinks. So I use piano libraries instead. The $2500 I spent on the piano has not convinced me that it (or any) digital sounds good. Rather, I'm convinced that no digital sounds at all like a piano (save for the AG and other high-priced units that I've never tried).

S
S
which model of clavinova u are using?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'm convinced that no digital sounds at all like a piano (save for the AG and other high-priced units that I've never tried).

It's fascinating how polarized people are about the AG. It's fair to say it sounds 99% like the $100,000 9-foot grand it emulates. Digital fans find it crazy to not plunk down a mere $12-15K to get very close to that $100,000 sound, and with a real grand action to boot!

Acoustic fans are totally turned off by that other 1%. They hear it as a RECORDING of a fancy piano, which of course is technically what it is. They find that sound unacceptable.

There are, indeed, certain imperfections in the sound of an acoustic that cannot be digitalized. Whether those minor mysteries are irrelevant (as is true for most AG fans) or the very soul of a piano sound (as is true for those turned off by the AG) is a matter of subjectivity and not science.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Acoustic piano players do, it's true, tend to look down on digitals. When one compares a good acoustic to a bad digital, that's not a hard call to make. A bad acoustic to a good digital? Different story.

But I'm more bemused by the fact that THE most scathing attacks on AGs come from owners of other DPs, especially Rolands. The reverse is also true -- more than one troll thread attacking Rolands has popped up here.

I'll be leaving the world of DPs for the acoustic world in about 90 minutes. Maybe I'll be able to send back messages from the other side. wink

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jivemutha
It's fascinating how polarized people are about the AG. It's fair to say it sounds 99% like the $100,000 9-foot grand it emulates.

IMO 99% is too fair.

There are, indeed, certain imperfections in the sound of an acoustic that cannot be digitalized. Whether those minor mysteries are irrelevant (as is true for most AG fans) or the very soul of a piano sound (as is true for those turned off by the AG) is a matter of subjectivity and not science.

It's not a mystery as to what is wrong with the AG sound. They chopped off the decays and replaced them with short, overprocessed loops. And the sympathetic resonance could be improved. At this price point, and particularly with the way Yamaha markets it, expectations tend to run higher than normal. It's probably fine for a lot of folks and a lot of situations, but you can't use it for serious solo recording.

My main issue with the AG sound is that Yamaha overpromises and underdelivers.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
. . .I'm more bemused by the fact that THE most scathing attacks on AGs come from owners of other DPs, especially Rolands.

As there are a skillion threads about AGs, I'm not sure how I can readily find these comments. Can you (or anyone else) summarize the gist of Roland owners criticisms of the AG?

D
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I spent a lot of money on a Clavinova ... and I think the sound stinks. So I use piano libraries instead. The $2500 I spent on the piano has not convinced me that it (or any) digital sounds good. Rather, I'm convinced that no digital sounds at all like a piano (save for the AG and other high-priced units that I've never tried).

On the contrary I am convinced that every digital piano that I have heard sounds like a piano (not necessarily one that I like or would want to own) but very few play like one.

Having a realistic piano action and 'realistic' samples and/or modelling is not enough. The way the two interract is everything and the best and most responsive of the current DPs really do get it right and are very good musical instruments in their own right, but not direct substitutes for an excellently constructed and prepared acoustic grand.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dewster
IMO 99% is too fair.

It's not a mystery as to what is wrong with the AG sound. They chopped off the decays and replaced them with short, overprocessed loops. And the sympathetic resonance could be improved. At this price point, and particularly with the way Yamaha markets it, expectations tend to run higher than normal. It's probably fine for a lot of folks and a lot of situations, but you can't use it for serious solo recording.

My main issue with the AG sound is that Yamaha overpromises and underdelivers.

First, I confess I'm on the same basic side of the fence as you are, dewster, though clearly you have a much better grasp of the technical differences separating AG sound from the real thing than I do.

Let's say you're right. Let's call it arbitrarily 89% instead of 99%, OK? If someone (clearly not you or me) isn't bothered by that "11%" separating the AG sound from the YIIS 9-foot grand, then doesn't it make for a good choice for that person? It would save them at least $85,000!

That said, I admit I'd much rather the sound of a real U3 than the almost-real sound of a 9-foot grand, as produced by the AG. Yet, I consider those who hear it differently kind of lucky!

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Two varieties: Sampled sound of AGs said to be inherently inferior to modelled sound of Roland V-Pianos; and second, that using a Roland (or other keyboard) to drive certain computer pianos produces better sound than the sound from AG speakers.

Whether this might reflect the sort of "selection bias" mentioned by an earlier poster on this thread I'll leave to you to consider.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sampled sound of AGs said to be inherently inferior to modelled sound of Roland V-Pianos. . .

Thank you.

Are you referring to the technical details regarding the sampling (which would sail over my head) or to the acoustic pianos that are being sampled? If, by chance, it's the latter, it begs the question, what monster acoustic piano is the Roland sampling?

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Sampled sound of AGs said to be inherently inferior to modelled sound of Roland V-Pianos. . .

Thank you.

Are you referring to the technical details regarding the sampling (which would sail over my head) or to the acoustic pianos that are being sampled? If, by chance, it's the latter, it begs the question, what monster acoustic piano is the Roland sampling?

Both, I think, but more the former than the latter. Roland V-Pianos, as I understand them, do not rely on sampling at all -- but I'll let a Roland defender with more knowledge them mine address that point.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I don't think we are biased in favor of our digitals. If anything, I think I'm biased against it. Whatever instrument I play frequently (whether acoustic or digital) I start to find all the flaws with it and I really notice them when I play.

The upright I play most frequently almost can't play pianissimo at all, the key depth is very shallow, and it has a terribly harsh tone and keeps a tune for about 5 minutes (it's an older Yamaha). The grand I play most often isn't very responsive and its tone is very closed and ill (it's an older Kawai RX3). My digital has a too-heavy action that makes me tired and the onboard sounds sound synthesized (Kawai MP8).

The only thing I haven't found a problem with is my current sound generator, Vintage D. I've found problems with every set of speakers and headphones I've used, but the tone itself is almost perfect for my taste if you look past the limitations of the speakers or headphones.

I've played pianos with actions that truly satisfied (acoustics) but not regularly. I am beginning to wonder if I would change my opinion about them if I played them more frequently. Eventually I'll get to that greener grass on the other side of the fence! smile

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/21/12 01:06 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Well I guess if I really expensive acoustic piano cost $2,500 and weighed 50 pounds there's a lot more folks hereabouts would be suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome. If you fall out of love with that Steinway you bought last month that weighs a metric boatload and cost most than your car...well, you don't usually end up switching to a different brand very soon.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
That's a very good point, Brent. The cheap-and-easily-replaced aspect of digitals kind of drives our ability to want to upgrade all the time.

My parents bought a yucky little spinet for $200 at least 35 years ago (they have pictures of me in front of it as a newborn) and said they would just keep it for a year or two until they could buy a nicer piano. Guess what's still sitting in their living room after having 7 kids learn to play on it?

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/21/12 01:17 PM.
CLP240.
Originally Posted by steve1991
which model of clavinova u are using?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H
Well I guess if I really expensive acoustic piano cost $2,500 and weighed 50 pounds there's a lot more folks hereabouts would be suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome.

Sign me up for one of those!

And if DPs had sound generators more on par with VSTs there would be even less suffering here.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
[.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
All the digitals do sound and feel like toys after that.

Question, Dave: What is your impression of the sound of AvantGrands in that regard? Toy? Sort of toy? OK? Not OK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission