2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Should I always be counting the time (in my head or aloud) when not using a metronome?

I ask that because I learned the minuet 114 (bach) without worrying with keeping a steady beat (checking with metronome or counting in my head), and yesterday I used the metronome and it sounded much better...

Roland FP7F
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
...so your subconscious mental clock isn't well-enough trained yet! Better keep using the conscious one, or a metronome for a bit longer.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Only when you are at the piano, not at work or when shopping or folk will think you have an OCD where you are continualy counting.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Only when you are at the piano, not at work or when shopping or folk will think you have an OCD where you are continualy counting.

Sounds like speaking from experience.

I agree that your internal clock isn't strong yet. I'd keep practicing with the metronome until you can "feel" the beats. Takes some time. I remember in college thinking I had good time and when an instructor made me play a piece with a metronome, I was shocked how unsteady it was. To this day I still work with a metronome to develop my internal time.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
M
M
I either count quietly or in my head when I'm sight-reading or practising tricky parts. I find it's much easier to sub-divide when I'm doing the physical counting.

I also have my own way of counting rhythms.

When I'm counting normal crotchets I say "1 - 2 - 3 - 4". (Or "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and")

When I'm counting quavers I say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and".

When I'm counting dotted crotchets I say "1 - 2 and 3". ("and" is the note following the dotted crotchet)

When I'm counting dotted quavers I say "1...dah 2". ("dah" being the note that falls before the second beat.)

When I count sixteenth notes, I say "1 dah dah dah 2 dah dah dah 3 dah dah dah 4 dah dah dah". (which is, of course, when playing quite slowly.)

I wonder if that made any sense...

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It's important to learn to play with a steady beat, both with and without the metronome. Rhythm is as much a part of a piece as notes. So, yes, if you're still unsteady, then count when you're not using the metronome. Of course, this supposes that you will count steadily and not slow up in the hard parts and then speed up again in the easy parts. You may find that you are steadier counting than not counting, and steadier with the metronome than when just counting. But you should still practice counting without the metronome as well as with the metronome, to build up your rhythmic abilities.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Depending on what you are playing, your timing could be left entirely up to the way you want to express the emotion in the piece you are performing.

When you perform a piece, you are essentially transmitting musical information in the form of sound waves to the listener.

How the listener receives this information is entirely up to you.

Many of the nicest performances I have heard take the structured timing of a piece and toss it out the window in lieu of letting the emotion determine what specific timing will be used and when.

I'm not sure if this method works for all genres of music but it works very well with new-age neo-classical type stuff as you can control the delivery, timing and ultimately the effect of the music you are performing.

K
K
Piano is mostly a solo instrument. So one may never play with others on the piano.
But most music is a collaborative effort with other musicians. One of a great aspect of music is the social aspect. Being able to play with other musicians can be a wonderful experience for many playing music.

Imagine playing in a duet/orchestra and you can't keep time...
No one wants to (or will) play with you if you can't keep time.
You can't accompany singers if you can't keep time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cue the "Intuitive way some bands work" arguaments.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My experience is that counting helps sort out rhythm, but the metronome gives you a clue on even tempos. These may be related in some cases, but they aren't always the same thing as far as problem solving is concerned.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
A
A
hahaha. So true lol. If I don't use a metronome I know my timing is likely off unless I really concentrate and know the piece well so I'm not slowing down at the hard parts :p

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
It's important to learn to play with a steady beat, both with and without the metronome. Rhythm is as much a part of a piece as notes. So, yes, if you're still unsteady, then count when you're not using the metronome. Of course, this supposes that you will count steadily and not slow up in the hard parts and then speed up again in the easy parts. You may find that you are steadier counting than not counting, and steadier with the metronome than when just counting. But you should still practice counting without the metronome as well as with the metronome, to build up your rhythmic abilities.

So true. A lot of people use a metronome to see how fast they can go. But I feel that its best tool is judging how steady your time is. I always try to increase to tempo to the point where I'm about to lose control of time and practice there.

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Many of the nicest performances I have heard take the structured timing of a piece and toss it out the window in lieu of letting the emotion determine what specific timing will be used and when.

Absolutely! I think the question you have to be always asking yourself is whether you are tossing out tempo for interpretation reasons or slowing down just because that part is hard. I believe timing is one of those things you learn to be strict about so you can decide when to play in or out of time later. Can you imagine a March or a Waltz out of time?

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
A lot of great performers play ahead or behind the beat for effect. But as a guitar teacher once told me "You can't play ahead or behind the beat until you know exactly where the beat is".

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H
But as a guitar teacher once told me "You can't play ahead or behind the beat until you know exactly where the beat is".

Very well said.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
But as a guitar teacher once told me "You can't play ahead or behind the beat until you know exactly where the beat is".

Very well said.

Agree. I've always been told too that you have to know the rules of music before you're allowed to break them.

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Studio Joe

Very well said.

Amen.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission