2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1828361 01/20/12 10:15 AM
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I ask because I have come accross many threads about various different Kawai models having key problems, and people receiving damaged models, almost to the extent where it is like a universal thing and alot of Kawai users experience some fault. I was considering the CN43 model, Specs/looks wise its very nice, But after having to wait so long to buy a DP if I recieved a somewhat damaged CN43 I would be gutted to say the least. On that note, what do you think of the CN43 model? Thanks

Piano; YDP161
M
M
I'm considering buying the Kawai MP10 but the problems that people have had with the unit arriving DOA or other myriad of issues are preventing me from buying.

However, Kawai does provide a pretty good warranty for stage pianos and I get the impression that Kawai is working very hard to fix problem DPs after purchase.

But it's still a pain if I were to receive a faulty MP10 and then have to take it to a repair center far way or mail it back to the onlline dealer or Kawai. Although I'm sure that Kawai will make everything right at the end.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much (Ted Williams)
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by mrcultureshock
I'm considering buying the Kawai MP10 but the problems that people have had with the unit arriving DOA or other myriad of issues are preventing me from buying.

However, Kawai does provide a pretty good warranty for stage pianos and I get the impression that Kawai is working very hard to fix problem DPs after purchase.

But it's still a pain if I were to receive a faulty MP10 and then have to take it to a repair center far way or mail it back to the onlline dealer or Kawai. Although I'm sure that Kawai will make everything right at the end.

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly it, Its the only thing keeping me from buying a Kawai at the moment. If I was going to get a Kawai aswell it would be via the thomann website, and that would be international, so if something did go wrong oh my, what a pain that would be to get it sorted. And indeed, I came accross a thread where this guy ordered an MP10 it was damaged, he got a replacement and that was damaged aswell : /

Last edited by shokz; 01/20/12 11:38 AM.

Piano; YDP161
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
These things happen sometimes, but it does happen with every brand. The key-spacing issue was solved a while ago. The rest I think is just bad luck. Everybody I know who has bought a Kawai has been satisfied. Kawai are also very good with warranty service.

R
R
Just a note about my experiences with Kawai products, I have had a CP139, CP179, and now the exceptional CA93 in my home during the last year and not one hint of a problem with the key action or anything else for that matter. Out of a about 50 to 60 Kawais of all models I have seen at my dealer during the past year, one had a key that was not returning to level at times and that was resolved by a little cleaning between the keys. These pianos are used for many students and then sold at the end of the year and the dealer continues to grow and thrive with the Kawai line. The CN43 and CP139 and well as the CA63 are see alot of action and sales in this dealers store and if there was an inherent problem it would not go un-noticed with as many hands that are on them each week.

Kawai CA93, Lowrey Marquis
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rich W
Just a note about my experiences with Kawai products, I have had a CP139, CP179, and now the exceptional CA93 in my home during the last year and not one hint of a problem with the key action or anything else for that matter. Out of a about 50 to 60 Kawais of all models I have seen at my dealer during the past year, one had a key that was not returning to level at times and that was resolved by a little cleaning between the keys. These pianos are used for many students and then sold at the end of the year and the dealer continues to grow and thrive with the Kawai line. The CN43 and CP139 and well as the CA63 are see alot of action and sales in this dealers store and if there was an inherent problem it would not go un-noticed with as many hands that are on them each week.

Thanks rich, Its nice to see someone happy with their Kawai models

Piano; YDP161
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've got a MP10 in the studio right now, on trial. No complaints at all. I picked it up from the dealer - a new, factory boxed unit.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Kawai in general has a great reputation for reliability and especially customer service. I think what happens is that these wooden actions are more prone to certain issues that we then hear about here (just as I imagine they are in acoustics) than are plastic actions.

I haven't heard people complain about problems with the MP6 or CN line, for example. Plastic is just that much easer to make the perfect shape and size and fit together.

My Kawai has always been rock solid. And it seems like everyone I've seen with an issue has had it swiftly and easily resolved through either the dealer or Kawai.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/20/12 12:29 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by shokz

You are making it look as if nobody were happy with Kawai DPs. That's weird. It's like saying "it's nice to see someone happy with their Yamaha" or "it's nice to see someone happy with their Roland". For any brand you will find a minority of unsatisfied people ([censored] happens), and plenty of people satisfied.

I've been pounding a Kawai MP5 for almost two years and it works flawlessly as the first day. Usually people that is satisfied with their purchases are not opening threads on forums for saying "hei, it works as expected".

Regards,
Kurt.-

PS: I've triggered forum auto-censorship feature! grin

Last edited by kurtie; 01/20/12 01:03 PM.
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by kurtie

You are making it look as if nobody were happy with Kawai DPs. That's weird. It's like saying "it's nice to see someone happy with their Yamaha" or "it's nice to see someone happy with their Roland". For any brand you will find a minority of unsatisfied people ([censored] happens), and plenty of people satisfied.

I've been pounding a Kawai MP5 for almost two years and it works flawlessly as the first day. Usually people that is satisfied with their purchases are not opening threads on forums for saying "hei, it works as expected".

Regards,
Kurt.-

PS: I've triggered forum auto-censorship feature! grin

Its just from what I have read, The Kawai models come up more often (either something is wrong with the keys/or it is damaged) compared to Roland/Yamaha models. And when Im going to spend as much money as I am for a DP (nearing 1000 pounds) I need to know the Item I will get will be durable and of high quality.

Piano; YDP161
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's what I'm seeing here, too ... lots of Kawai keyboard problems.

One solution might be to buy a unit pre-assembled at the dealer's. Try it before you buy it.

S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That's what I'm seeing here, too ... lots of Kawai keyboard problems.

One solution might be to buy a unit pre-assembled at the dealer's. Try it before you buy it.

True, though there isn't any Kawai dealers that I know of nearby. Also I dont want to buy a DP on display where lots of people will be playing it, I want a brand new one, I think thats fair to ask for since Im paying so much for it. There will be a element of risk ordering a Kawai online, A risk maybe worth taking if it was so cheap, but when your talking 1000 pounds+ then I might want to be safe rather than sorry.

Piano; YDP161
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Piano; YDP161
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If I was going to get a Kawai aswell it would be via the thomann website...

This is a mistake in my view. Thomann is not the most competitive in price anyway - I would bet your local Kawai dealer would match or get very near to Thomann's price (or may even beat it).

You live in Sheffield if I remember correctly and there will be a Kawai dealer not too far away. Find the dealer, build a relationship and enjoy the support of that dealer if anything should go wrong. And most significantly it would appear you are still trying to choose based on the opinions of others. You need to play these things - it would be a serious mistake to buy without playing first.

R
R
Its just from what I have read, The Kawai models come up more often (either something is wrong with the keys/or it is damaged) compared to Roland/Yamaha models.

Can you substantiate your statement with real numbers? Just because people are raising comments or complains about a Kawai product in this forum doesn't necessarily mean, that problems are more likely with a Kawai product compared with Roland/Yamaha/... products.

Maybe the Kawai products are sold ten times more compared with their competitors. Also something you should keep in mind...

Don't forget that "Kawai James" as an Kawai employee is very active (thankfully!!) in this forum and maybe therefor people are raising their comments on Kawai products more often. The others are maybe going to their local dealer in case of a problem with Roland/Yamaha/... products.

From my perspective a Kawai DP is worth buying.

Just my thoughts ...

ripe_md

Last edited by ripe_md; 01/20/12 02:51 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think Kawai is a lot like Kurzweil. Both used to be high quality keyboards. Both went through some hard times and a period of making cheaper, lower quality keyboards. Both are trying to make a comeback.

A lot of complaints are most likely from musicians who travel with their keyboard. The popularity of Roland and Yamaha hasn't suffered because generally you can take those boards on the road and have little problems with them. If the keyboard is going to mainly stay at home, you'll have a far less chance of something going wrong.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by EssBrace
This is a mistake in my view. Thomann is not the most competitive in price anyway - I would bet your local Kawai dealer would match or get very near to Thomann's price (or may even beat it).

(thanks for all the replies guys)

Really? I have found Thomann to be one of the most competitive in the prices, Do you know of any other online sites that could offer me better deals (and that are not based in the USA), thanks

Piano; YDP161
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thomann are ok - and they have a great selection. But why buy online when there will be an alternative locally?

S
shokz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thomann are ok - and they have a great selection. But why buy online when there will be an alternative locally?

Im going to check now if there are any kawai dealers nearby, Umm one reason was I dont know how would I get the DP into the car it would be fairly big (unless they deliver it), and second is price. For example, the cn43 model, 1250 pounds @ thomann. 1350ish at woodbrass. And everywhere else I see for 1500 pounds+ , I don't think a local dealer will offer me a price I cant refuse

Piano; YDP161
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Im going to check now if there are any kawai dealers nearby, Umm one reason was I dont know how would I get the DP into the car it would be fairly big (unless they deliver it), and second is price. For example, the cn43 model, 1250 pounds @ thomann. 1350ish at woodbrass. And everywhere else I see for 1500 pounds+ , I don't think a local dealer will offer me a price I cant refuse

I would do everything possible to buy from a local dealer. The hassle of dealing with small issues through a distant dealer is not worth the difference in price unless the difference is so large you just cannot swallow it.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission