2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
What's the new/updated console from Kawai?

The ageing CE200 has been updated to the CE220, with PHI sound and 88-key sampling.

Hardly a game-changer, but a welcome upgrade none the less.
"Loved the key action, hated the sound" posts from folks who try this model in musical instrument chain stores should finally become a thing of the past.

Originally Posted by Madlock
All I really am looking forward to is seeing if they have something new to replace CA-63, so I can finally either buy it or start waiting for the updated model smile

No new CAs, CNs, MPs - Kawai America's primary focus this year is the new Shigeru Kawai series.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
@doremi: Kawai's acoustic grands are not direct competitors with Yamaha's AvantGrands, though. I'm sure that's what KarelG is referring to.

I'm sure we'd all love to see a millennium 3 action in a hybrid piano but at the moment acoustic grand with "anytime" is the only place you can get that.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/19/12 06:25 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I actually think you misunderstood the other people. No sane person would imply that Kawai doesn't have the ability to make something like the AvantGrand, particularly on the action side.

They just aren't doing it. Possibly there are issues engineering the whole package (mostly the digital side), but most likely it's just not profitable to do so.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Well, we'll see what they charge for it. From the pictures it looks like it will be larger and heavier than the N1 and N2, which I consider a downside.

You have a point that the difference between an upright and grand action doesn't come up much. It is an inferior action, though, and a bigger box. They will have to make it noticeably cheaper for people to be drawn to it over the N1, I would think. And an upright action isn't *that* much cheaper than a grand action, so it seems strange to me.

On the other hand, it has a great look about it. If they price it near that of the CS9, the latter could become a tough sell.

(This has gone on longer than is optimal already, but to be clear the "can't" in the post you quoted could refer to the profitability or perhaps willpower issue I mentioned, which makes total sense. Your follow-up, on the other hand, disambiguates it as if Kawai lacked the ability to manufacture a good hybrid, something that does not make sense. For that reason I think the misunderstanding was yours. Following it up with an invitation to play Kawai acoustics further supports the notion that you misunderstood the post you quoted, even though you were apparently addressing a completely different topic.)

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/19/12 08:14 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
We are talking about a piano that's several thousand dollars below the N1 in price basically price wise its the next step up from a Clavinova 480 and I don't agree that a Yamaha U upright action is inferior to ANY current digital action.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
I don't agree that a Yamaha U upright action is inferior to ANY current digital action.

No one said that, actually, so you are disagreeing with thin air. Someone in this thread suggested that ALL acoustic actions are better than ALL digitals, which is quite different. If you agree with that, stop by my parents' house and play their spinet.

Several thousand dollars less than the N1 does get it into a range where it competes with normal digitals, so if that's right it will indeed be interesting. I didn't see a MSRP. Do you know what it is?

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/19/12 09:10 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I was told substantially less then the N1 .... and I'll restate this a bit more clearly.

ALL current acoustic actions from major manufacturers are superior to ALL current digital actions which leaves out your parents spinet.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I was told substantially less then the N1 .... and as for the action I'll restate this a bit more clearly.

ALL current acoustic actions from major manufacturers are superior to ALL current digital actions which leaves out your parents spinet.

I'm not saying I personally prefer upright actions to many DP actions (NW-Stage comes to mind) but for a real piano feel the U action is closer to my CF6 or C7 then anything on a DP.

As for size BTW the NU1 case is based on the S Clavinova so I'd imagine it would be around 100kgs

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I love the action on my U3. The ONLY thing I miss is the rapid repeat capability. You have to work a lot harder for those. Most DPs are still sub-optimal in the rapid repeats department too though.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Regarding repeats, presumably the NU1 would have something as good as or better than the tri-sensor GH3 to help with that. I.e - it would have a nice upright action, with the added benefit of double-escapement simulation, so it would in some way be better than a standard upright action.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 01/19/12 10:31 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah I'm curious about where they are going to put the sensors and how, if at all, they will implement double escapement-type playability.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm not sure that it could be done authentically. There would be a disjoint between the hammer speed and motion, and the loudness of the strike. I have a silent system in my U3 and if I turn off the real strings and play the key with fast shallow repeats, it is clear that there is no capability for rapid, controllable repeats with shallow lift. That is because it lacks the physical escapement mechanism which allows the jack to give the hammer another push. On the upright, you have to release the key enough to reinitialise it and give new positive momentum to the hammer. I think they would be better off not even trying to do it on the upright action.

Here's an analogy:

Imagine playing tennis with a ball on an elastic rope: on and upright, you have to wait for the ball to come all the way back to you before you can hit it again. Swinging the racket again before that wouldn't give the ball any momentum. On a grand, it's like you can hit the ball the first time, then step in a few meters and hit it earlier and more often.

If you had a note every time you hit the tennis ball, it matches up fine on the grand version. On the upright version, you would be triggering a note every time you swing the racket, rather than every time you hit the ball. This mismatch would be unacceptable from a feel/control perspective. You need to feel that the hammer is producing the sound. The piano is a percussion instrument. To trigger notes by key position in spite of hammer movement, is counterintuitive.

So, my guess is, no rapid repetition on the NU1.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Ando,
Yes, that all makes perfect sense to me too. However, despite all that, I'll be amazed if they don't give it something equivalent to at tri-sensor action. It will be very interesting to see what they do.

Greg.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Well, there have been a few upright actions that feature a double escapement mechanism. I think it would be quite a hurdle for Yamaha if they were planning on making a cheap transplant from the U series though. It needs a quite different mechanism in some ways. I do agree that it would certainly be something they are looking at trying to solve though.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
They could just make one of their silent uprights minus soundboard, frame and strings - maybe that's basically what it is (in a slightly smaller, alternative case). Their silent technology is well developed and well regarded. Why would they need to do much more than that - other than fit an amp and speakers?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Speaking of which, does anyone know if the silent uprights have sensors on hammers AND keys like the AvantGrand or whether they only have key sensors like you could get if you had your piano tech add a midi strip?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Don't know - good question!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission