2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Monica? Isn't it that time again? I think the recital will open for submissions Feb 1st and go live Feb 15th. Don't panic!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Yikes. I know what I'm going to play ... but the longer I'm with the piece, the better I want it to be. Help! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
N
N
A recital on this forum? Sounds exciting, how does it work?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolaj
A recital on this forum? Sounds exciting, how does it work?

Record your playing. Save or convert to an mp3 file (Some people also do videos, but that's an extra). Sometime around the 1st of the month the recital will open to submissions - Monica will post a link in this forum. Then on the 15th of the month it goes live and into history...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm feeling fairly comfortable with my piece and even managed to get through it well at a nearby piano store despite my 5 year old banging on the high notes then banging on a piano behind me. I just need to find time to record it now.

It should be easy enough to tell which specific piece this is because I will include the title. grin

Last edited by BenPiano; 01/17/12 11:45 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yay! I'm excited for this one. My piece has been "performance-ready" for a few weeks now, although I haven't played it under the influence of the red dot yet. But the problem is, I feel like Andy when he says, "the longer I'm with the piece, the better I want it to be." There always seems to be more to work on.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Just wait until you hear the recording! That always sends me back to the woodshed big-time.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Monica? Isn't it that time again? I think the recital will open for submissions Feb 1st and go live Feb 15th. Don't panic!

Sam

It *is* that time, and I *am* panicking!!! Especially because of that other thread about your recital index suggesting that the migration to Frank's servers hasn't been finalized. eek

I've been swamped with all sorts of life stuff lately, so I'm not on top of things as much as I prefer. But I need to touch base with LaValse and see where we are with respect to the software. I'm having nightmares of it being February 1 but mahlzeit's program not working. help

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I am almost ready.....:) with yet another new (for me) genre! smile

Looking forward to facing down the red dot again.
I've been doing some little recordings here and there - it really does help take the sting out of a recital recording session!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, this one snuck up huh? Only two weeks till early bird gates open. I could have sworn we just finished up the last one.

I have no idea what I'm going to play but that's okay as if I play something too much I just get sick of it anyway and end up moving on to something else.

I figure this time I'll work backwards from the submissions date. I'll practice a week or two prior to the submission date which will get me into my sweet spot of both enjoyment and playing abilities. After that, my attention starts to waver and when nobody's looking I'll start noodling around with new melodies so two weeks notice is perfect timing to get going.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure what I'm doing at this point. I'm learning something new but I don't know if it can be performance ready by then shocked. I'd like it to be but I haven't quite finished memorizing yet. Everything else I've got down good enough right now has been in the piano bar at some point in the past year.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Wow, this one snuck up huh? Only two weeks till early bird gates open. I could have sworn we just finished up the last one.

I have no idea what I'm going to play but that's okay as if I play something too much I just get sick of it anyway and end up moving on to something else.

I figure this time I'll work backwards from the submissions date. I'll practice a week or two prior to the submission date which will get me into my sweet spot of both enjoyment and playing abilities. After that, my attention starts to waver and when nobody's looking I'll start noodling around with new melodies so two weeks notice is perfect timing to get going.

........by the way Mr. Super-Hunky, sweetie.....have you forgotten something (again? ...still?)...sigh

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have my tune just about ready to record. I need to smooth out a couple places. We're going out of town for a week this weekend, so I will miss some time with the red dot. (Or blue, in my case). I'm determined to be in this time!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LBE, I thought the piano bar was for performances that weren't quite ready for a recital. So if you've worked on any of your pieces since then, couldn't you re-record it for the recital? I have to admit that I don't follow the piano bar, so I would have missed hearing your performances.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MaryBee
LBE, I thought the piano bar was for performances that weren't quite ready for a recital. So if you've worked on any of your pieces since then, couldn't you re-record it for the recital? I have to admit that I don't follow the piano bar, so I would have missed hearing your performances.

There are occasional submissions to the recitals of the exact recording already up in the piano bar so I'm not sure it's a big deal either.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Piano bar = anything goes. Just like in reality. If you're willing to get up and play....then do it.

The piano bar is a no stress way to *experiment and test* things out if you will. Recital quality performances are certainly welcomed as well as current works in progress that are less than perfect. It's all good. Almost anything goes. Relaxed and casual.

The quarterly recitals on the other hand are different. It's an entire process that covers the full gamut of human emotions all the way from a sense of accomplishment and fullfillment to an almost unbearable amount of stress and persecution due to a single flashing red LED light. Some people begin to realize that this flashing light is nothing more than pure evil and was designed by the devil himself.

I have personally found this to be true because even if I cover up the flashing light with a rag or something, just KNOWING it's on can produce the same ill effects on me and cause me to screw up.

I also have come to the conclusion that the only reason I haven't chucked my Zoom across the room yet is because it cost me a couple hundred bucks. If they were cheaper, I'd probably stock up and buy in bulk.

That would score a "L" in the patience category but a huge "W" in the instant feel-good dept!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by MaryBee

There are occasional submissions to the recitals of the exact recording already up in the piano bar so I'm not sure it's a big deal either.
If all goes according to plan I should have a completely empty house for a day next week so new or old something will get recorded or rerecorded before the recital. smile Not sure which song to aim for but I do know this time around will be something non-classical.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Uh oh. I haven't a clue what I can do for the recital. Ballade no 1 is nowhere near performance ready, and I don't have enough time to prepare something really nice. If I can find the time, maybe I'll do prelude in E minor, or maybe an excerpt from Ballade no 1, if that's allowed.

This one REALLY sneaked (or snuck, if you prefer) up on me!

Last edited by Sam Rose; 01/18/12 03:22 AM.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
All set here! I made my recording for coming recital already right after the previuos recital, because since the last recital I've been working on a piece that I expect will take me more than 3 months.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission