2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Nick Mauel
When this happened, I was surprised that Brodmann did not also advance. Although Hailun certainly has some standout models such as the 178 and larger grands, the bigger Brodmanns floor everyone that sits down at them (I stock both 7' and 7'6").

There are certain details of the Brodmann design and construction that tends to exalt them and make them comparable to far more expensive pianos.

This can be noted throughout the entire line. There is a significant degree of consistency among all of the models that most people consider very appealing, from small to large grands.

The 9 foot Brodmann concert grand has already made an appearance and will be again shown at NAMM, along with other models being produced in Vienna.

I absolutely wish that a Brodmann had been available to A/B against the Hailun 218. I had been told that if I liked the 218 then I HAD to play the AS227!! Played one at Robert Lowreys in Toronto. It was very nearby a Schimmel of similar demensions: no comparison (the Schimmel was WAY better in every aspect). The Brodmann was "nice" even, perhaps, "very nice," but it didn't turn my crank, so to speak. Mainly the tone: OK but no great shakes; certainly no better than a Kawai semi-grand.

Lowrey doesn't carry Hailun, unfortunately. But I immediately charged up to Grandt's Piano House and replayed the 218, and again compared it to the Steinway B's and the Steingraeber Concert Grand that were beside it. All I can say is that it held up without any difficulty against these excellent German pianos. No Schimmels in the room, unfortunately. And no Brodmanns.

But I couldn't fail but notice that while the Hailun 218 compared VERY favourably with the Steinways that were beside it, the Brodmann AS227 (much more expensive instrument, btw) did not hold up at all well against the Schimmels!

Maybe a poorly tuned and regulated 227? Who knows?

JG

Last edited by johngrant; 01/14/12 11:08 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by syxbit
Norbert or Nick . Could either of you comment on the condition of these pianos as they arrive from the factory.
How much prep is required and some of the other questions

syxbit,

In the past, Hailuns were clearly less needing of any type of service issues.

Presently, Brodmann quality control has pretty much peaked so that the brands are about the same now technically both in factory preparation and out in the field regarding service issues after several months. Prepwork is also limited to finer detailing versus anything significant.

Cosmetically - Brodmann has the advantage, having made noticeable improvements in the last few years as has Hailun but the Brodmanns are more perfect now.

I have sold Brodmanns for just over 4 years and Hailuns almost 4 years.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Norbert
Opinions,... Here's another one:
http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall11/49.html
Norbert

Interesting. So Ms Cohen had mixed views of the Brodmann, which raises an interesting question that I think IS germaine to the topic:

If y'all are trying to label the best Chinese grands, why would the review be of a PE187 when, presumably, an AS187 should be far better? So let's address the question here, since I'm guessing you've played both, Norbert (or anyone else who has):

What's your opinion about the relative differences between a PE187 and the vastly more expensive AS187?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What's your opinion about the relative differences between a PE187 and the vastly more expensive AS187?

Well, the first thing you notice when playing the AS 187 is that German hands were definitely at work here: extremely precise [Renner action] with similar control like most other German piano I played.

Too new to come to a true conclusion.

Played on one single specimen....

Norbert wink

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
This brings some thoughts to bear. Every grand piano benefits, sometimes tremendously, from finishing work at the end of production. If a company has the staff, the skill, the time, and the inclination, they can improve the performance of a given piano dramatically.

If a piano is properly engineered and production is well controlled, which several Chinese products are, than prep. can truly be the separation point.

I do not know what Brodmann does, but the New Cunningham goes through a rigorous prep. As a result, it has recently been chosen by The Director of Musical Studies at The Curtis Institute, Jonathan Coopersmith, as his personal piano here in Philadelphia. (His family also owns a Steinway and a Bosendorfer)

By the way, earlier in this thread someone referred to the Cunningham as a "house brand". I understand that comment because that is how the project was born. However, we have also gained recognition by having several well established industry professionals request to become dealers. This is happening naturally and organically, which is just the way I like it. smile

Anyway, I do not think "house brand" is an accurate description anymore.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
However, we have also gained recognition by having several well established industry professionals request to become dealers. This is happening naturally and organically, which is just the way I like it.

Anyway, I do not think "house brand" is an accurate description anymore.

If indeed the 'Cunnigham Piano' is no longer a 'house brand' it could be interesting for prospecting US customers - those not living near Philadelphia - to know from which dealers in what area they can buy a Cunningham.

schwammerl.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by turandot
When you became active on this forum a couple of months ago, you asked specific questions about the DongBei factory, its products, and brands that have been sourced at that factory. I remember asnwering your questions as specifically as I could. I took your questions at face value.

I do appreciate the very helpful information you provided.

I would suggest that you do the same with the OP's question here. He is not asking for your interpretation of what is important based on your recent piano purchase. He is asking which Chinese factory (or factories) make the best pianos. It's a valid question.

If he really wants to know "the best" single factory then it's a question with so many answers as to stretch the meaning of "valid question". There's no objective way to rank pianos coming from various factories. So trying to find "the best" admits any number of answers, none of which can be the most "valid".

You'll get quotes from Larry Fine's rankings. That's a valid answer.

You'll get people naming the only Chinese piano they've ever purchased as "the best".

You'll get dealers pitching their particular Chinese brands as "the best".

At any rate, I see the thread has now (predictably) descended into a free-for-all among the last category of answers. I was unwise to chip in with my meagre perspective and am happy to leave it to our customary litany of "Mine's Bigger" claims by the usual suspects. Lesson learned.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
T
Tenor70 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Here in the UK a very well respected dealer Chris Venables has an 'in house' brand the Venables and Son, they are made to their own spec by I suspect Hailun (may be wrong) They do a range of Verticals and Grands look and sound very good (photos and Video):

As with all Chinese pianos it is all in the prep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HyoNyFab8&context=C33b3594ADOEgsToPDskJ9ahdNJjU4a4uleJzW6mAx

http://www.chrisvenables.co.uk/venables-and-son-grand-pianos.htm

Last edited by Tenor70; 01/15/12 09:49 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jivemutha
Also for the record, Norbert sells most of the pianos he's touting. It doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth as he sees it. It does mean he has a vested interest. Most of us here do not.

I have to respect those who comment on pianos they sell and not the ones they don't.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
How can anyone possibly answer a question about what is the "best" anything without first defining what "best" means for purposes of the question?

If the definition (if any) includes any subjective elements, like tone, touch, etc., how can there ever be any verifiable, objective, or conclusive response to the question in any event?

It seems to me that debate over who makes the best anything at all is utterly frivolous without first deciding what "best" means. It may well be frivolous after "best" has been defined as well, because the answer will often depend upon individual taste or anecdotal experience. To the extent that "best" is defined to include only objectively verifiable factors (whatever they would be), something it is hard to imagine in the piano world, the debate may well involve information that proves to be both boring and unhelpful in the customer's election of a piano, because such selection inevitably and appropriately depends upon how the individual piano sounds and feels to the prospective purchaser (and what it costs). To the extent that "best" depends upon factors that are subjective, at least to some extent, the debate is simply about matters of taste, and will require the popcorn an earlier poster indicated he or she was preparing.

At least that is what I think.

M
M
Rank Piano Amateur, I think that is a good way to conclude this debate.

Hint hint.

1928 Chas. M. Stieff 6'1" Grand. Major rebuild 2011
1920 Mason & Risch Upright (actually my mother's)
1971 Hammond R-100
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play
T
Tenor70 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
How can anyone possibly answer a question about what is the "best" anything without first defining what "best" means for purposes of the question?

If the definition (if any) includes any subjective elements, like tone, touch, etc., how can there ever be any verifiable, objective, or conclusive response to the question in any event?

It seems to me that debate over who makes the best anything at all is utterly frivolous without first deciding what "best" means. It may well be frivolous after "best" has been defined as well, because the answer will often depend upon individual taste or anecdotal experience. To the extent that "best" is defined to include only objectively verifiable factors (whatever they would be), something it is hard to imagine in the piano world, the debate may well involve information that proves to be both boring and unhelpful in the customer's election of a piano, because such selection inevitably and appropriately depends upon how the individual piano sounds and feels to the prospective purchaser (and what it costs). To the extent that "best" depends upon factors that are subjective, at least to some extent, the debate is simply about matters of taste, and will require the popcorn an earlier poster indicated he or she was preparing.

At least that is what I think.

I didn't want to be too specific - tone, touch etc can all depend on how well the piano is prepped, however build quality is a different thing. Rightly or wrongly I put them all under the same umbrella. I will try to be more specific the next time.

Rank Piano Amateur's comment "How can anyone possibly answer a question about what is the "best" anything without first defining what "best" means for purposes of the question?"

Many members have answered the question and they have been helpful.

THANK YOU to all.

Last edited by Tenor70; 01/15/12 01:19 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H

If he really wants to know "the best" single factory then it's a question with so many answers as to stretch the meaning of "valid question". There's no objective way to rank pianos coming from various factories. So trying to find "the best" admits any number of answers, none of which can be the most "valid".

You'll get quotes from Larry Fine's rankings. That's a valid answer.

You'll get people naming the only Chinese piano they've ever purchased as "the best".

You'll get dealers pitching their particular Chinese brands as "the best".

It's true that this question will prompt a variety of answers from a variety of sources for a variety of reasons. What question here doesn't except for inquires about the age of a used piano? One almost always has to sift through what is written in the way of opinion and ignore a good part of it. However, the question (as opposed to answers) is not as difficult as you imagine.

Experienced retailers spend a lifetime around pianos. While their primary interest may be in selling what they have. and a good many of them focus on profiling their customer and trying to match their pianos praise with what they feel lies at the top of his budget reach, they do know what to look for in assessing the build quality of pianos, and for the most part their ears and fingers are fine-tuned enough to let them know if that build quality has paid off in musical potential. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but when it does they're aware of it.

There are telltale signs in construction that experienced retailers and techs will readily notice about quality of build. They don't have to examine every square inch of the piano to get a sense of the level of attention the maker has given to the product's build even though they need confirmation in how the piano plays and sounds to know if the results confirm the intent.

One retailer here posted:

There are certain details of the XXXXX design and construction that tends to exalt them and make them comparable to far more expensive pianos.

That comment is worded in an intentionally vague way, but it scratches the surface at least.

What actually prompted me to respond to your post was your emphasis on the "trusted dealer" being the most important element of a piano choice. Even though it played a large role in your choice, for a variety of reasons which don't fit this thread topic, I disagree with placing such a high priority on "the trusted dealer". In my experience some retailers whose presentation does not inspire trust, and in fact might make a knowledgeable customer quite angry, sell some very fine pianos, while some retailers who make you want to adopt them as your uncle present some real losers with great humanity. I think the personal dynamic between customer and retailer is a dangerous way to choose a piano.

On a personal note, I liked the choice you made whatever motivated you to make it. I think you maximized your budget and should be quite pleased with the results.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

One retailer here posted:

There are certain details of the XXXXX design and construction that tends to exalt them and make them comparable to far more expensive pianos.

That comment is worded in an intentionally vague way, but it scratches the surface at least.

At least I was specific enough to mention the brand name! grin

Thank you for your comments about how professionals seeing many pianos on a continual basis are able to evaluate and choose accordingly.

I evaluate first, then sell based on what I have found, as most probably do. But there have also been some pleasant surprises along the way.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
In terms of "built quality" few would have problems saying that the Germans generally top the list.

In terms of "consistency", the Japanese have been outstanding.

But neither of these factors would make me choose a piano just by itself.

Many here reported having played dozens of "first class" grands that left them cold.

In reverse, an unexpected find may steal your heart.

This is really what's going on these days and the upcoming NAMM show will surely once again present many candidates from either group.

As a dealer I encourage people to do their comparative shopping within same or at least very similar price class.

If you are looking at $ 15,000 grands, look at all others at same price point. The moment you jump to $ 30,000, you would have to start all ove again. My whole writing here has centered around this basic, very important point.

If someone finds a piano at $15,000, a piano he likes as much or even better than another one at $ 30,000, it could be an opportunity worth exploring.

Or a piano for $ 30,000 preferable to one twice the price.

As this is what is increasingly happening in today's market, it presents threats to some but opportunities to others.

To me, this is what the ongoing discussion and sometimes fighting about certain pianos and makes here is all about.

Simply speaking, it's all about [defending..] market share and money.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 01/15/12 04:49 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

One almost always has to sift through what is written in the way of opinion and ignore a good part of it.

We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.

I guess we need Dan’s corollary here once again:

“The length of the post is diametrically opposed to the amount of useful information contained therein.”

M
M
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

One almost always has to sift through what is written in the way of opinion and ignore a good part of it.

We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.

I guess we need Dan’s corollary here once again:

“The length of the post is diametrically opposed to the amount of useful information contained therein.”

Yes, useful dialogue usually begins to dry up after about page three.

1971 Hammond R-100
Roland KR577
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well I guess we will have to disagree;

This thread should have been maybe, at best, 3 postings.

Actually it could have been one…..

But no, instead we have 4 pages of yada yada about a lot of nothing…..

Question;

Who makes the best pianos in China?

Answer;

Some Chinese guy I would suspect.

Question;

Answer ;( little more helpful here)

The best thing to do is for you as the purchaser, to go and play a variety of instruments manufactured in that region of the world. Decide on which one you like to play the best (action/touch/responsiveness) and which one you would like to listen to the best (tone/timbre/projection.)

That, in your opinion as the purchaser, is the best piano coming from China. What others think of your choice is a moot point unless you live your life by popularity polls…..

M
M

Dan.

I disagree with you. Because in this case I agree with you! HA! laugh

1971 Hammond R-100
Roland KR577
T
Tenor70 Offline OP
OP Offline
T

This thread should have been maybe, at best, 3 postings.

Actually it could have been one…..

But no, instead we have 4 pages of yada yada about a lot of nothing…..

Question;

Answer;

Some Chinese guy I would suspect.

Question;

Answer ;( little more helpful here)

The best thing to do is for you as the purchaser, to go and play a variety of instruments manufactured in that region of the world. Decide on which one you like to play the best (action/touch/responsiveness) and which one you would like to listen to the best (tone/timbre/projection.)

That, in your opinion as the purchaser, is the best piano coming from China. What others think of your choice is a moot point unless you live your life by popularity polls…..

Silverwood Pianos you have posted your fair share of Yada Yada on this forum too!

Sorry for posing the question

Last edited by Tenor70; 01/16/12 06:57 AM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission