2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 162 of 370 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Yep more tea for me as well, like a big mugfull, 3 sugars and milk. ( follow on milk)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I put on a new pot.. I use natural honey and soy beverage (I'd use milk if I was allowed. ) I think it's a tired day. LOL Here let's try to get our blood moving with some weirdness....

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Katy Perry? Quick, I'll hide under a rock.

Here's another blast from the past: Echo and the Bunnymen on The Tube in 1984, introduced by - if I am not mistaken - the now-very-serious-journalist Muriel Gray. Look at her hair!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I liked murial gray Eglantine, are you saying she is now a very serious person? or could she just be cleverly disguised as a serious person?
At least pamela stevenson hasnt got too serious in her latter years!

I think folk should grow old disgracefully, also you can get away with more the older you get, so it would be daft not to really.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Ahem! The chords certainly are not hard... morriseys melodies, particularly this one is a tricksy timed one to hold in your head whilst playing, unless you are very familiar with the song....

OK. Thanks. Caution noted. Not familiar with The Smiths at all.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

This was a B-side.

Johnny Marr is one of the greatest songwriters and guitarists of all time.

Last edited by Eglantine; 01/15/12 06:18 AM.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Eglantine, good examples of smiths songs.. I went and found the chords to Please please please from three seperate youtube videos done by the same guy.... vid one:verse, vid two chorus, vid three bridge. he sings the melody at the same time so you can see how it fits in. And sings it fairly well.

I went to see if i could find the sheet... so far not for free!! However, I did get to look at the first page of the sheet, which told me its in D major....so the guy who did the tutorial got it right. There is the odd C natural in it as an accidental.. and wait for it , its in 6/8 time.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Muriel is great, but she's a lot more serious now, in her post-The Tube incarnation(s). I like her a lot. Much more, say, than Kirsty Wark.

Today I'm mainly painting furniture... so there's been some Smiths on the turntable.

But I'd like to raise a knotty problem. Sometimes you've heard a particular fabulous record - abc - from a particular artist/group for years and years, and then someone comes along and says "Oh xyz album - from same artist/group - is as good or better". And you go away and listen to xyz album, and you can't for the life of you see how they could make such a comparison, because xyz just does not seem to stand in the same field as abc.

To give you some examples: For me,
- Tusk comes nowhere near Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)
- Nowhere comes nowhere near Going Blank Again (Ride)
- Moondance comes nowhere near Astral Weeks (Van Morrison)

You get my drift?

Is it just because I've listened to abc *a lot*, prior to the xyz album? Or is there something else going on?

I've got Tusk on the turntable now, and there is no way it measures up to Rumours!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine

I've got Tusk on the turntable now, and there is no way it measures up to Rumours!

I can't really say for the other examples but for this one you are right. Some of the individual songs maybe but not the album as whole.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
So totally with you on rumours Eglantine, in fact i may go out on a limb and say rumours was FM finest hour. There will be the chrissie macvee and lindsey buckingham camps though!!

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good Morning everyone! It's time for my Classical Sunday postings! I thought I'd start with trumpet virtuoso Alison Balsom. Here is Trumpet Concerto in D by Giuseppe Torelli Ms. Balsom is performing with the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen under the direction of Thomas Klug.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My second selection is violinist Angelo Goderre performing Violin Concerto in G Major by G. P. Telemann with the Solisti Chamber Orchestra of Daytona Beach.

I. Presto

II. Andante

III. Allegro

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

What a treat and a powerhouse of artists for my final posting! Here is soprano Jessye Norman and violinist Pinchas Zuckerman performing "Gestillte Sensucht" by Johann Brahms. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Amazing Jessye Norman as usual. I didn’t know that Brahms’s song; the violin gives so much expressiveness to the music... I’ve loved this song.

Fantastic Alison Balson as well! She always plays with plenty of precision. I don’t get tired to listen to this soloist.

And of course I also enjoyed Telemann's violin concerto. Thanks Griffin for your Sunday postings.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think I'm going to LOVE your Sunday classical postings, Griffin, thanks!

That trumpet concerto was lovely...going to make my kid listen to it and see if it will inspire him to take up a musical instrument......(doubtful, but one can hope)

thanks--

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Recaredo and Piano Joy! Im glad you enjoyed the postings. Recaredo, I thought you might particularly enjoy the Brahams selection.

Piano Joy, welcome to the thread if you've just started viewing. You'll notice that my music tastes are very eclectic. However, I don't feel complete without doing my Classical Sunday postings. BTW, good luck with getting your son inspired with trumpet playing! I'll do my part and post more in the future! smile

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Yes griffins sunday posts are the stuff of legends!! ( well done griffin)

To lighten the mood up a little for monday, I made a list of things I dont want to hear at all ever for the rest of my natural life.

As usual with my liszts I keep a copy in my walllet.

Here are the things i dont want to hear:

(1.) IT WAS JUST LIKE BEING ONBOARD THE TITANIC.
(2.) Brace for impact.
(3.) Thats really got to hurt.
(4.) Surely you didnt mean to do that.
(5.) How on earth can that be possible.
(6.) That should have healed by now.
(7.) You really should go to hospital about that.
(8.) I wouldnt do that if I was you.
(9.) It was him, I saw him do it.
(10.) That is going to cost a fortune to sort out.
(11.) Have you paid for that sir.

On the news today, there was of course lots of folk talking about their experience on the Italian cruise ship that ripped her hull on rocks ( not a sandbank as first broadcast, so no surprises there then that sandbanks do not rip hulls open.)

Anyways, I was amused at the sheer amount of folk who said "It was like being on the Titanic"

Absolutely no disrespect to your trauma and fear, but may I venture to say " NO, it was not like being on the titanic at all"

I have made a very serious and detailed study of the Titanic, and know a lot of facts about that incident.

First off, How do you know it was like being on the titanic? are you saying you were on the titanic, and can therefore compare and contrast?

Like say the Unfortunate lady who was onboard both the titanic and the Lusitania when that sank?

When the Titanic went down, it went down very differently, the water was so cold you had about four mins before hyperthermia set in..

There was definately no small island nearby that could be seen in the dark of night to swim to..( It has been suggested that if captain smith had made an alternative decision there would have been a small island nearby in the form of an iceberg that folk may have been able to get onto, but thats hindsight)

Rescue was not at hand within 20 mins, nor was there any searchlights.
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a distinct lack of helicopters too, particularly around the latitude and longtitude of the Titanics last given position.

With reference to the souls lost on the Titanic; it was the majority of them; One thousand five hundred and seventeen souls lost out of Two thousand two hundred and seven passengers and crew.

Just 31.3 percent survived.

In the case of the cruise ship, the majority survived and none actually froze to death in the water.

The Titanic was a coal burning steamship with four funnels and the cruise ship was diesal.

At the Grounding of the cruise ship there was no band playing.

The captain of the Titanic went down with her, and was not charged with gross negligence.

The captian of the cruise ship may not be so lucky, he hit rocks that were apparently not "marked on his edition of the chart"

It would appear that what these folk meant to say was "It was like being in the Hollywood Titanic movie"

But then I probably would have said, "so Leonardo de caprio and Kate winslett were there where they?" And who ended up with the big blue "heart of the ocean Diamond this time?"

Maybe what folk meant to say was "When it listed badly, I thought of the posieden adventure and became very anxious"

But then I may have said "so Gene hackmen helped you escape?"

All todays newspapers have printed this innane and incorrect comparison, And to make it just a little worse, This year in Aprill it will be the 100 year anniversery of the tragic and totally incomparable loss of the Titanic.

And to finish todays Rant, Why was it called the posieden "adventure" and not "misadventure?"

Sensationalism...Grr.

Last edited by Rostosky; 01/15/12 07:49 PM.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Rostosky
...I went and found the chords to Please please please ...

Rossy, I worked on this yesterday and came up with a chord chart. Just now I searched out the videos you mentioned and my chart is similar but with a few differences (a little more colour).

For example, under the first "please" in the chorus, while it's G the sung note is A. I was doing this yesterday LH G D RH B D A (ie first inversion of G but with A at the top not G). Could call it G2.

Happy to send you the whole chart if you'd like it. Not sure how familiar you are with chord charts. I will also transpose it to G for me to sing.

While The Smiths version (particularly the way the guitar part is played) is properly 6/8, the way Slow Moving Millie plays it in that clip you posted, I'd regard it as 3/4. The only substantive difference IMHO is how it's shown in sheet music. It's not a common time signature in pop. Pineapple Head, Neil Finn is a good example and Where Do You Go To my Lovely? by Peter S and Baby's in Black Lennon/McCartney - spring to mind. No others 'spring' to mind.

Regards

Capn

Last edited by CaptainKawai; 01/16/12 07:18 AM. Reason: clarity

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Capn, thank you, yes, i would love the chord chart you have done especially if you have the melody line written in. G chord plus A would that make it a ninth chord? Anyways, I am familiar with guitar chord charts, not sure I know what you mean about piano chord charts, but I should be able to figure...

There is quite a bit of Irish music that uses the technique of singing an A say over a G chord, and other notes one note higher than the chord that is being played..

I have noticed it in a couple of pogues songs and one by the fureys.

Will look forward to recieving your chart!

Thanks so much.

Page 162 of 370 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission