2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Ever since I discovered, to my astonishment, that the alarm on my phone could ring even if it was switched off, I have made a point of never using the alarm on the phone. I would be too worried that the alarm might just be set to ring during a concert.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
My phone is my alarm clock. I've never tested it's use when it's off, but I always leave it at home or in the car when I don't want interruptions.

F
F
I'm known as the "Cell Phone Nazi" at my high school! If I catch anyone using a phone in any manner during class, I send them to the office and suspend them from class! (Unless they have a family emergency, such as an ill family member and they might need to be contacted--they must tell me in advance.) I have no problem dealing with people using phones in movie theaters, either. Last week, I was trying to enjoy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and some morbidly obese woman in front of me kept taking out her phone to check for messages or something, and since the theater was pitch black, the screen light was very annoying. After the 4th or 5th time she did it once the movie started, I tapped the beached whale on the shoulder and said, "If you take out your phone one more time, I'll have an usher remove from the theater. So, put it away once and for all." (The last line was uttered in a Dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky, punk" tone of voice.)
Fortunately, she didn't test me.

Last edited by Fugue14; 01/12/12 05:34 PM.

Yama B3
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Well david, your countryman Lebrecht has the answer for you. Check it out here : It is a combination of ignorance and mortification. Apparently the poor man's name is now known (he is a long term subscriber)!!!!

Thanks for this Andromaque! Very interesting explanation, though perhaps still leaving one a bit mystified, as one of the comments on Lebrecht's post points out.

By the way, and totally OT, your name always reminds me of the character Andromaque in Berlioz's opera "Les Troyens". The scene in which she presents her son Astyanax to Priam the king, after her husband Hector has been killed, is to me one of the most moving in all opera. It seems as though all the sorrows of war are in it. And she doesn't sing a note.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
Well david, your countryman Lebrecht has the answer for you. Check it out here : It is a combination of ignorance and mortification. Apparently the poor man's name is now known (he is a long term subscriber)!!!!

Thanks for this Andromaque! Very interesting explanation, though perhaps still leaving one a bit mystified, as one of the comments on Lebrecht's post points out.

By the way, and totally OT, your name always reminds me of the character Andromaque in Berlioz's opera "Les Troyens". The scene in which she presents her son Astyanax to Priam the king, after her husband Hector has been killed, is to me one of the most moving in all opera. It seems as though all the sorrows of war are in it. And she doesn't sing a note.

Beautiful! smile
But my inspiration was the gorgeous French "tragedy" written in verse by Jean Racine in 1667, but of course inspired by Greek mythology. It has some wonderful poetry and it very much feels like one of the late Beethoven sonatas in my imagination.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Here in the sticks, we call it family.

We have that too, believe it or not, but I will leave it at that.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I think it's worth noting that the idea that this cell phone was ringing an alarm, due to its "persistent nature" is merely the opinion of the conductor who was irritated by it. The truth is he would have no idea whether it was an alarm or not. You can assign any tone to any function on most phones. If the user had his voice mail turned off, the phone could easily ring out until it was answered. I don't use voice mail and my phone will ring out for well over a minute if I don't pick it up. It's actually the network which determines how long a phone rings unanswered before it self-cancels.

I believe the guy was receiving a phone call and was hoping the person calling would hang up but they didn't. If he had an alarm that wouldn't stop, he would have rushed to turn it off because he would know that it wouldn't stop until he canceled it. The man's behaviour is consistent with an embarrassed man hoping the caller would quickly hang up and he could pretend it was somebody else. Unfortunately for him, his caller was quite determined!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
But apparently it is now known that the man had a new iphone and switched it off but was not aware that the alarm was on etc. (discussed a few posts above).
I wonder if he will be outed.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
But apparently it is now known that the man had a new iphone and switched it off but was not aware that the alarm was on etc. (discussed a few posts above).
I wonder if he will be outed.

If he's that clueless about his new phone, he probably still thought it was going to stop ringing whether it was a call or an alarm.

In any case, I think he's been punished enough. It would have been supremely humiliating to have the conductor and audience dressing you down. I don't think he needs to be outed.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
I think it's worth noting that the idea that this cell phone was ringing an alarm, due to its "persistent nature" is merely the opinion of the conductor who was irritated by it. The truth is he would have no idea whether it was an alarm or not. You can assign any tone to any function on most phones. If the user had his voice mail turned off, the phone could easily ring out until it was answered. I don't use voice mail and my phone will ring out for well over a minute if I don't pick it up. It's actually the network which determines how long a phone rings unanswered before it self-cancels.

I believe the guy was receiving a phone call and was hoping the person calling would hang up but they didn't. If he had an alarm that wouldn't stop, he would have rushed to turn it off because he would know that it wouldn't stop until he canceled it. The man's behaviour is consistent with an embarrassed man hoping the caller would quickly hang up and he could pretend it was somebody else. Unfortunately for him, his caller was quite determined!

My impression is quite different. I think he froze, a la the deer in the headlights. He did not know what to do when the alarm went off because he didn't understand the phone. Silly technophobe.

I know that's quite a speculation, but it's as good as any other, given the "facts" as they are known.

In any case, I'm not going to blame the conductor here. I think I would be more than irritated in his case.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by ando

My impression is quite different. I think he froze, a la the deer in the headlights. He did not know what to do when the alarm went off because he didn't understand the phone. Silly technophobe.

I know that's quite a speculation, but it's as good as any other, given the "facts" as they are known.

In any case, I'm not going to blame the conductor here. I think I would be more than irritated in his case.

It might be as you said. There's a fair bit of conjecture going around. I can say that I had an iPhone briefly (which I sold). It came with that "marimba" ringtone set as default for phone calls. The default alarm tone was quite different.

We won't know unless the guy comes forward and offers himself up for an interview. Even then.. he could make up a story that damages him the least. He definitely was a deer in the headlights though!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
What's the big deal? He got a call, he had a new iphone, so it rang though he had the right intentions (he thought he had put it on silent, etc). It rang, the conductor being a d*** stopped the concert. The distinguished members of PW in addition demand that the guy be "outed". I really don't have a clue why. The world is a strange place.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by liszt85
What's the big deal? He got a call, he had a new iphone, so it rang though he had the right intentions (he thought he had put it on silent, etc). It rang, the conductor being a d*** stopped the concert. The distinguished members of PW in addition demand that the guy be "outed". I really don't have a clue why. The world is a strange place.

IMO, I don't think calling the conductor a d*** is really called for..I mean, think about it. You listen to almost the entirety of an entire symphony, at almost the very end of the piece, when it gets super quiet, a cell phone goes off. Then the cell phone keeps ringing. I think it's perfectly understandable to not want to end the entire piece with a ringing phone. I'd argue that almost nobody here would want to do that as well - and would agree it's valid to stop the piece and try again. Regardless of whether you agree with how the audience member was addressed by the conductor, I think that you would agree the action of choosing to stop and try again is probably the best action, given the situation.

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 01/12/12 10:18 PM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano

IMO, I don't think calling the conductor a d*** is really called for..I mean, think about it. You listen to almost the entirety of an entire symphony, at almost the very end of the piece, when it gets super quiet, a cell phone goes off. Then the cell phone keeps ringing. I think it's perfectly understandable to not want to end the entire piece with a ringing phone. I'd argue that almost nobody here would want to do that as well - and would agree it's valid to stop the piece and try again. Regardless of whether you agree with how the audience member was addressed by the conductor, I think that you would agree the action of choosing to stop and try again is probably the best action, given the situation.

Yea..you're right. Being a d*** had nothing to do with stopping the concert, that was probably the right thing to do. Then addressing the audience member in the way he did was what I find a problem with. I would probably be pissed off too but I would just restart and apologize to the audience (and justify starting over again citing musical reasons. That was unprofessional behavior on his part.

The people on PW are also being unreasonable by wanting to know his identity. I don't understand for what purpose. You should all go back to practicing the piano and stop maligning somebody you don't even know.. nobody even knows the exact details of what happened that day. If it really was an honest mistake (new iphone, etc), that guy doesn't really deserve any of these discussions devoted to him on the internet (including people making comparisons with child molesters!! WTH?!). So I find some of the posts here more disgusting than what happened that day at the concert.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The NYT just published an interview with "Patron X" :

"Actually, Patron X said he had no idea he was the culprit. He said his company replaced his BlackBerry with an iPhone the day before the concert. He said he made sure to turn it off before the concert, not realizing that the alarm clock had accidentally been set and would sound even if the phone was in silent mode.

“I didn’t even know phones came with alarms,” the man said.

But as Mr. Gilbert was glaring in his direction, he fiddled with the phone as others around him did, just to be sure, pressing buttons. That was when the sound stopped. It was only in the car going home that his wife checked the settings on his phone and found that the alarm had been set."

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
The NYT just published an interview with "Patron X" :

"Actually, Patron X said he had no idea he was the culprit. He said his company replaced his BlackBerry with an iPhone the day before the concert. He said he made sure to turn it off before the concert, not realizing that the alarm clock had accidentally been set and would sound even if the phone was in silent mode.

“I didn’t even know phones came with alarms,” the man said.

But as Mr. Gilbert was glaring in his direction, he fiddled with the phone as others around him did, just to be sure, pressing buttons. That was when the sound stopped. It was only in the car going home that his wife checked the settings on his phone and found that the alarm had been set."

Now hang him, says PW.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Some more from that recent NYT article, enough to make you feel really bad for the guy:

“You can imagine how devastating it is to know you had a hand in that,” said the man, who described himself as a business executive between 60 and 70 who runs two companies. “It’s horrible, horrible.” The man said he had not slept in two days.

The man, called Patron X by the Philharmonic, said he was a lifelong classical music lover and 20-year subscriber to the orchestra who was friendly with several of its members. He said he himself was often irked by coughs, badly timed applause — and cellphone rings. “Then God, there was I. Holy smokes,” he said.

“It was just awful to have any role in something like that, that is so disturbing and disrespectful not only to the conductor but to all the musicians and not least to the audience, which was so into this concert,” he said by telephone.

“I hope the people at that performance and members of the orchestra can certainly forgive me for this whole event. I apologize to the whole audience.”

And... here is surely the best reaction tweet. smile

-J

W
W
'Why so serious?'

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The distinguished members of PW in addition demand that the guy be "outed".

I may not have read the thread thoroughly enough, but have many/any people here demanded the guy's identity?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission