2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
36 members (Burkey, clothearednincompo, almo82, dorfmouse, daz100, FloRi89, AZNpiano, 9 invisible), 345 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
advise on playing dp?
#1823493 01/12/12 05:10 PM
D
Dazzie2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just some advise I have been trying to read music and play basic songs , instead of singing words or counting beats i say the notes as i press the piano , Now i am very slow at playing when i say the notes like this, so this time i just tried to focus on guessing from looking at the notes on the sheet where they might be on the piano and i seem to go much faster, is this the right way to read music or must i know what the notes are before i play them ?

Last edited by Dazzie2; 01/12/12 05:25 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: advise on playing dp?
Dazzie2 #1823527 01/12/12 06:07 PM
A
A
IMO you should know what notes you are playing so that you can be sure you are playing it correctly. Is it learning to read music that is causing you a problem? If so just practice. Once you get it it's quick especially if you play the same song, or notes all the time. Practice with chords etc.

Dazzie2 #1823544 01/12/12 06:44 PM
D
Dazzie2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I just dont see how its possible when you add the fact you could be singing and using two hand to play , where do you have the time to think about what the notes are on sheet and play in time with the music. I understand you could spend i few days remembering the piece of music to the point where you don't even need to know what the notes are anymore . Dont people just take the first note on the sheet and then have an idea of what keys to press on the piano by the notes just by where they are on the clef lines ?

Dazzie2 #1823662 01/12/12 10:10 PM
M
M
I suspect most people sight read by finding the first note and then recognizing intervals after that. If you're having trouble with that first note recognition, I can recommend the piano tutor app on the iPhone. There's probably on-line things, too, if you don't have a smartphone.

Dazzie2 #1823675 01/12/12 10:29 PM
Do you currently have a teacher? For my money, that's the best catalyst to help you learn to read music quickly.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Dazzie2 #1823724 01/13/12 12:25 AM
S
S
Lots of repetition and going slow. Learn a few, and then a few more. Go back and review them. Use flash cards. If you are not already doing so, consider following a method like Alfreds. It progresses at a pace where it makes it easier to memorize notes and other aspects of theory and playing. It adheres to the idea of slowly progressing and much repetition.

I DuckDuckGo, do you?
Dazzie2 #1823806 01/13/12 04:11 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
IMO, the most efficient way to sight read is to focus on a few main notes and relate all of the other notes around those. It's like knowing a few landmarks in a new town. If the interval between 2 notes is small enough, you don't even really need to know what each note is. For example, a run that goes E-F-G-A-B-C, you could just say E and step up to C. Knowing what an octave looks like will help you only have to identify one of the notes. Just a few examples.

Also, if you understand keys and chords, it will help you sort of analyze what you are playing. The more you can understand what you see, the faster the recognition, and therefore, the faster the reading.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Dazzie2 #1823836 01/13/12 06:02 AM
D
Dazzie2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all this info on this post I will try to answer some questions you have asked, I did forget to say I am learn without a teacher and trying to use the internet and books to learn . I can do c ,g , d scales both hands and have been learning major, minor chords in them scales. I do know the notes on the sheets just the treble at this point in time, sometimes I will make the odd error but I have just about got them in my head. What I am trying to say is when I start to play from the sheet and think what the next note is, my brain takes some time to register what the note is , If lets say I forget about the notes but not the first note as that has been a guide to the next one , now when I look where the next note is on the lines just as black dots not the actually name of the notes , I can tell how many spaces to leave on the piano keys without even thinking what the note even is, Now I guess when there are big jumps on the lines like says D up to higher D it can be tricky but thats when i can fall back on my brian to remember if i need to . Now I will go back to the first way I was doing this from the sheet music I was saying the notes from the sheet paper before pressing on the keys now the problem here is I can never go fast enough , I need to be well ahead in order to play the song and i want to point out i playing very easy music to start , so are people just using the first note from the sheet and making like patterns and sort of know the keys to hit like I explained or am I going well off track?

I dont mean to go on but can we compare it to typing on computer? I have another way to explane this, When i first started typing i had to look and think what letters to type very slow ,now i think in my head what i want to say and when i type i dont even think about what the letters are on the keyboard but my fingers know what to press .

Last edited by Dazzie2; 01/13/12 06:24 AM.
Dazzie2 #1824043 01/13/12 01:03 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dazzie,

You are not off track. What you are doing is known as intervallic reading, or reading by the "intervals" between the notes. This is a common part of sight reading. But you will also need to know all the notes, so don't let interval reading keep you from getting them all solidly memorized, particularly if you are just learning how to read music.

Jim

Goldberg Variations-Aria, JS Bach
Un Bel Di - Puccini
Musetta's Waltz - Puccini

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dazzie2 #1824044 01/13/12 01:05 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Dazzie2, congratulations on being able to play well by intervals! Keep practicing the note naming, slow as it may be. Consider it practice in note naming, rather than playing per se. You will gradually get faster.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission