2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1823526 01/12/12 06:04 PM
A
OP Offline
A
How do you know when you are done "learning" a piece of music. I'm just getting back into this and don't have a piano teacher currently. I realize there is more to "finishing" a piece than simply being able to play the notes. So when do you consider a piece complete?

I sort of map out what I think finished is to me...
I myself am working with a teacher and discussed my method/idea with her as well so we're on the same page.

So for an example: I am working with Suzuki Book 2 pieces right now and I see these as "learning pieces"; I'm not looking to get them concert ready, but rather play them to the point where I believe I have gotten what I've needed out of the piece. This is sometimes obvious/sometimes not obvious with gradated books: AKA obviously here they want me to practice scales am I doing that well enough? After I "pass" on a piece in the Suzuki book I make sure until I am done with that book to play the piece in review to make sure I still "got it"; and if not review it more.

While I am working with my Suzuki Book 2 "practice/learning" pieces I am also working on Linus and Lucy which I want to be a "concert ready" piece. Here I will polish up and try to work as close to 100% on tonality, feeling and memorization as I can.

Just IMO take what works for you!
-BB

Working on...
Suzuki Book 2: Minuet 2 by Bach
Linus and Lucy
Of course none of us are ever really done learning a piece, but for me the best test of "done-ness" is in the performance which can lead to a few functional definitions of doneness:

1) You know the piece pretty well and can play it usually without too many mistakes.
2) You can now play it well enough to perform it for mom.
3) You play it well enough to perform it for your significant other.
4) You know it well enough to feel comfortable playing it in front of a few friends.
5) You know it well enough to feel comfortable playing it on a stage in front of a hundred or so people.

Last edited by petes1; 01/12/12 10:07 PM.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ajarvis445
How do you know when you are done "learning" a piece of music.

Try recording yourself! If you can get a good recording of it that you're not ashamed to show your friends or family, (or if you play it live and unabashed, better yet!) then you've you've got it under your fingers.

When the pressure is on, there is no doubt whether you know it or not.

But, there is plenty of room to use pieces to learn from without any added pressure of performance. Do what you gotta do to get those fingers cooperating and get to the place where you want to be.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I endorse Petes1's comments.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Keep an eye on how much progress is made.

If the progress falls below the threshold you're done with it.

The threshold depends on how self critical you are (and maybe your teacher)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
If I can play the passage or piece in question entirely through using the metronome at a reasonable speed. If I can't, it means that I still don't have the notes and/or fingering and/or rhythm completely mastered.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
I endorse Petes1's comments.

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it's always good to have the attitude that you are going to turn a "Piece" of music into a performance. So make sure you are more or less 100% confident of what you are playing, and then work on adding expression and dynamics into your music, so an audience can feel your connection with the song.

Listen to some live performances of the music, and use this to inspire you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just want to point out that while it's great to polish pieces until they are "performance-ready", you don't have to do this with every piece that you work on. Some you may want to just get to the "play it for mom" level. (Nice list, petes1. smile )

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
OP Offline
A
petes1 I too like your list of doneness. that's good lol I don't "finish" every piece to the level that I'd play it on stage in front of hundreds of people cause some pieces I play that I don't really like for the technique or learning a new style etc. there's only certain ones I really like (and right now I'm talking years ago when I played regularly) that I would learn to that level "performance" level - IMO anyways haha

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And sometimes you just don't 'love' it enough to put in the work. Often with my lesson pieces we 'leave' a piece before it is polished. If I love the piece i'll continue with it on my own and bring it back for critique later.......sometimes I'm sorry that I did! :-)))!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
There is no single answer, but most people would recognize several stages:

1. First stage is investigating: listening to a recording, playing through slowly HS, HT if possible, figuring out where the hard parts are.

2. What I call "learning" is getting to the point where I can play the piece through, usually from memory, but if not memory, then at least with minimal help from the score. I will have practiced the hard parts already and the piece will flow, though I will still make (a bunch of) errors.

3. When a piece gets to the point where it looks and feels easy, it is at the polished stage. You can play it in front of people and they will say, damn, that looks and sounds like real piano playing.

I work from a method book and "learn" a lot of pieces. Most of them are not pieces I choose to have in my repertoire, so I learn whatever technique or lesson the piece features and then move along to the next piece. Getting to the polished stage takes (for me at least) a lot of time and practice, so I choose carefully.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
We're really talking about repertoire building here aren't we? I've found that difficult because I've kept moving on to other pieces and nothing is really maintained as play-able for a guest who happens in my house. So...the goal for this year is to create a repertoire (i.e. finished pieces) from music I've played over the last few years. I'm amazed at how little retention I seem to have. Each one has been starting over...I think I relearn a bit quicker than learn. Here are a few I'm finishing:

Beethoven sonata 49#1
Chopin Albumleaf
Schumann Reverie
Gurlitt Sonatina
Grieg Waltz
Webber All I ask of you
Rocherolle Late Train

They don't make a credible recital but I've liked each one enough to work on it to the level of polish. Who knows I may get close to correct tempo this time around.
Maroney Addie

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission