2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, Biff Steel, Bellyman, benkeys, anotherscott, adil, bwv872, 11 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
O
I don;t think famous pianists are lying but I think rather that the pieces he practises are very advanced anyway so he uses scales, trills, octaves, finger runs, thirds, sixths etc. within those pieces he plays. You would only have to play for twenty minutes playing Chopin etudes to have a workout on scales, thirds, sixths, octaves at high speed to maintain both technique and artistry. Two HOURS of playing etudes or concertos or sonatas would maintain a very high level of playing - in two hours you could play three concertos, or both books of Chopin's etudes, or 8 Beethoven sonatas. I think that would be enough for anyone! My music teacher used to practise Chopin's Black Keys study everyday to keep his fingers loose and nothing else.

After hearing Paganini Liszt famously practised trills, thirds, scales, sixths, octaves ... for 5-6 hours a day.

'Practice in the dark or with your eyes closed. Practice scales until they are pearl-like.'

Chopin

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Zombie thread has risen from the grave! shocked

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I have a theory that a lot of the pianists who say they only practice 1-4 hours a day had a much different regimen earlier in life.

That's a good point. According to the Glenn Plaskin biography, Horowitz told his pupil Byron Janis (in the 1940's) that he (Horowitz) only practices for two hours a day. However, in a 1932 interivew, Horowitz said: "I practice four hours a day and have done so for years. An artist must keep up a large repertoire, and must continually add to it. The new compositions require new technic also." http://nettheim.com/horowitz/horowitz32.html

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Zombie thread has risen from the grave! shocked

It is not the first time.... laugh We live in Zombieland....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
W
I know this is a zombie thread, but I couldn't resist commenting on this:

Originally Posted by RichterForever

...I also tend to agree with Wood-Demon that Gould's reputation was cultivated around an image of controversy and eccentricity which I sometimes feel was deliberately crafted for effect. That he is one of the greats, there can be no question. But is it reasonable to speculate that his reputation and legacy is centred more around this image than it is around his playing? I realise this is a controversial view and apologise if it is offensive to any one of his legion of followers.

I love Gould, and though I don't find this offensive, I think it misses the point a bit. He definitely cultivated his persona, image and perception. He was also genuinely loopy, and a genius, and at the same time insightful and able to speak effectively and plainly about music. He was an ardent fan of, and user of media, believing that a recording/broadcast should be crafted, and that means manipulation. There was no subterfuge there - it is stated and plain.

What I do think is silly is when people get too wrapped up in whether Gould's output, or anything, is "authentic". A better question is, is it interesting?

The other thing I would say is that hearing him talk about music, he is one of the most accessible - and at the same time complex - commentators and broadcasters that I have ever heard discussing classical music. If you haven't seen any of that footage, I recommend watching it, and maybe that will add some insight into what he was up to.

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Time is of no consequence in the creative process.

T
T
yes smile more relax and understand with ur mind when u r out from ur piano...

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Noone ever gets a virtuoso technique without lots and lots and lots of practice. I read some reliable research done a few years ago which found that the main difference between a sucessful concert pianist and a jobbing one trying to make ends meet is simply the much greater amount of hours the former puts into daily practice, especially in their childhood and teens.

One can easily see what's happening now with Asian pianists dominating the conservatoires and music colleges in USA: the Chinese have very strong work ethic drilled into them from childhood as well as respect for elders and teachers etc - this applies even to second generation immigrants. The applicants of Chinese descent for those institutions likely practise twice as much as those from other ethnic groups. They're not necessarily more innately talented than the others. Tiger mums (and dads) are common amoung Chinese families.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Victory Vertical parts acquisition
by ArukahPiano - 04/24/24 06:56 PM
Power supply when moving from USA to UK
by Stephen7179 - 04/24/24 06:45 PM
First post here..."Poor man's Pianofit"
by Cleartrueblue - 04/24/24 06:05 PM
Piano Competitions for Amateurs
by Sion - 04/24/24 04:47 PM
Just how loud is it under a piano?
by srsg90 - 04/24/24 04:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,489
Posts3,350,767
Members111,699
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission