2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1822247 01/10/12 04:46 PM
M
Minaku Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Teachers, I need your input!

I just got Square for my Android last month. So far I'm really loving the program. It's going to make next year's tax records SO much easier. My students' parents are happy to see a credit card option as well.

However, here's the problem. There is a 2.5% fee for credit card usage. I almost never pass the full fee onto the customer; sometimes I will take half of it, sometimes I will take all of it. What would you do? I want to have a consistent, reasonable way of taking credit cards.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Costco's a full percentage point lower. I've also found other lower rate processors. You might want to look around a bit before committing.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
PS Here's a review of square. And here's a site with many company reviews. Will be curious what you end up with.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
Minaku Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
So far it looks like Square is still the winner. I've picked several reviews to read at random and they are a little frightening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never had a request to use a credit card. Are you guys seeing otherwise?

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a couple of students who would probably appreciate using credit cards. I'd rather piggy bank on another merchant, though. I have a good relationship with our local music store, so perhaps I should approach them. BTW, check this review.

Hi Minaku,

I use SquareUp with one of my families who prefers to use AMEX for payments. It works very well. I don't pass the 2.5% fee on to them, but treat it as a cost of doing business (it's less than what I pay for 3rd party billing, so feels like getting paid a little extra).

Just found this interesting article on dealing with these fees, and in what circumstances you may pass the cost on the customer. It looks a little complicated, actually!

Here is the link: http://www.merchantcouncil.org/merchant-account/operation/pass-fee-customer.php

Private piano teacher in Lexington, Kentucky
Member MTNA, NGPT Board of Adjudicators
http://www.pianolex.com
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Here in California, it's illegal to tack-on the processing fees for credit cards. Check the laws where you are.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I started taking credit cards through my Paypal acct last summer. I have a link on my website that parents click and it directs them to the site, where they make payment. I don't accept credit cards in my studio.

At first I was pretty happy with the service until one parent filed a 'reverse-charge' on me. Because she had paid with a cc, Paypal immediately refunded the money to her, taking it from my acct. I was floored. The student had attended a week-long music camp. I couldn't get in touch with the parent to find out what the problem was so I had PP start an investigation. I had to send them documentation that the service was provided, that the parent did indeed sign up for the class, the student did attend, etc.. After all that, PP (or the cc... not sure) denied me my payment. What a waste.

I'm still not sure if the whole ordeal was bad for me because of Paypal or because of accepting credit cards.

Anyhow, not sure I want to continue to offer credit cards, if it's so easy for a parent to get a refund.

Any thoughts?

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I do not accept any credit card at all. I think it is too complicated for my small business and also cutting my income.
Everyone is happy to pay with checks or cash in my studio.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I'm still not sure if the whole ordeal was bad for me because of Paypal or because of accepting credit cards.

Because of PayPal. Happily, PayPal has now been rapped on the knuckles and forbidden to do this in the UK. But they'll still take a 10% cut of your fees (in the UK, anyway). In the UK, PayPal's terms of business, like those of most credit card companies, prohibit vendors passing on the fees to their customers, but this practice is legal in the UK.

Having said that, I've yet to meet a private music teacher in the UK who accepts credit card payments. In fact, most small businesses of any kind either do not accept them, or apply a surcharge.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But 'passing the fees' to the customer can be seen in another way: I assuming I want to earn 10$ from a product/service I will just charge 10$+VAT+credit card handling fee and get it over, without giving any details on what I charge and how I handle it. How on earth can this be illegal? (Not to mention that I have to consider that in that amount tax is also included).

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Any credit card company can "reverse charge" in response to a customer complaint. In fact it is not uncommon for a dissatisfied customer to try and get PayPal to reverse the charges, PayPal refuses so the customer goes to the credit card company and has the reversed from that end. The credit-card company virtually always "sides" with the buyer, occasionally PayPal will actually take the seller's side.

I take it that eventually you did, through the documentation and so forth, get your money after all. Being jerked around by customers who have paid with a credit card is part of accepting credit cards. It will happen from time to time.

Nikolas,

The act that is forbidden by most credit card companies is charging two different prices depending on whether a credit card is used. If you price all lessons at $31, knowing that credit card fees will leave you a net of $30 that is entirely up to your pricing discretion. If you price them at "$30 cash, $31 credit card" that violates the terms of certain credit-card-acceptance contracts. Then again, there are ways of accepting credit cards without those restrictions. Just be sure to read the fine print.

As a consumer, having "add-ons" and such rather than one fixed and easy to understand price is a turn-off. You may find that giving the impression of nickel and dimeing the client causes more ill-will than it's worth just for a 2.5% difference...

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
N
N
Originally Posted by Brent H
The act that is forbidden by most credit card companies is charging two different prices depending on whether a credit card is used. If you price all lessons at $31, knowing that credit card fees will leave you a net of $30 that is entirely up to your pricing discretion. If you price them at "$30 cash, $31 credit card" that violates the terms of certain credit-card-acceptance contracts. Then again, there are ways of accepting credit cards without those restrictions. Just be sure to read the fine print.

But BP has this separate pricing all over Florida (cash is always lower than credit per gallon of fuel purchased), so its obviously not based on the credit company but probably rather state law. If BP can do this regardless of credit card utilized, then obviously its not illegal.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
In my state they do the same thing. There may be laws in other states concerning it but I was talking about the fine print of the agreement you sign when you make arrangements to accept credit cards. The credit card company typically makes that part of their terms and conditions.

Presumably certain companies (like gas companies) can negotiate terms more to their liking. An individual who signs up for a PayPal merchant account so he can accept $100 payments for music lessons has to take it or leave it. And I'm pretty sure "it" involves not being able to pass on the credit card/PayPal fee (at least it did when I signed up years ago).

Of course state or national laws may supersede that contract stuff and add their own layer of complication...

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
dd: Yes, Paypal is nice when it works, but when it doesn't it's almost always a guarantee you'll not get your money. I've heard enough horror stories about it.

I've used Square Up, and I really like them except that their fee to run a credit card without being able to swipe it costs more than Paypal's fees. Still, both are cheaper than having a merchant account which charges you a minimum $10 or $15 monthly fee whether you use it or not in addition to having the same % fee that Paypal or Square Up does.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Minaku Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've seen too many people have trouble with Paypal to go with Paypal. Square is secure and I'll take that 2.5% in fees if it means one less trip out to the bank. I am THE WORST at depositing checks. I have checks from last month still sitting in my wallet. I will pay 2.5% for all the days I should have had money in my checking and didn't put it there.

I think customers would have a very hard time disputing that they paid for a service with Square, as they have to sign for the charges. I always send a receipt.

I think the easiest option is just for me to continue charging what I've been charging and for me to absorb the cost. The only "loss" I would take (I put loss in quotes because I am on good terms with the family) is on one student; she gets my old rate because she was my very first student ever in my private studio. Everyone else gets the new rate, often with the traveling surcharge tacked on since I am at their houses.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would think the loss is worth absorbing just not to annoy the customers who do choose the credit card option. Much the same idea as continuing to offer the old rate to your long-standing students.

Then again, if someone's already cutting their fees to the absolute minimum even a couple dollars a month could seem hard to swallow...

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
M
M
Right, and I think depending on your state, it may be illegal to charge those costs to the customer unless it's across the board for no matter how they pay for it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Minaku Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm only sad because I do not adjust for inflation, so my rate this year will still be the same rate next year, and the year after next, and presumably will stay the same unless I get more education... or if I get impatient after 5 years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission