2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Not on the pair I have, virtually silent.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I never heard any noise with my RP8's nor 10s. That's strange and disturbing. It sounds like it comes from both, so it's less likely to be just a bad speaker.

BTW, besides the noise, how is the sound when compared with your truths?

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/08/12 09:57 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The S/N on each, or what I think is the S/N are fairly close, so could be from a bad run. However, when I google, there are various reports of noise issues with the Rokits. My studio is on the second floor, but when I lugged one downstairs (definitely on a different electrical circuit) same idle noise. I also tried plugging them into the same electrical outlet as the Behringers, and no difference.

I was concerned about the physical size, which is one reason for getting a pair of loaners. The size in the studio is OK. I quite like the sound, apart from the noise. I will be returning the loaners, and will then have to decide about ordering new pair (unopened box), and maybe getting lucky, with no noise issues.

Still, why are some having these issues, and others not? Poor quality control? Not instilling confidence.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Baffling. It's amazing that any speakers that cost more than $100 produce noticeable noise when they are not plugged in to any audio source. I had an M-Audio BX5 that would start out quietly but then develop a noise that got louder and louder over time as the speaker warmed up (whether attached to a sound source or not). It must be a hard thing somehow to make a quiet set of speakers.

People complain all the time about Behringers producing noise, but I think all monitors at reasonable price levels have QC problems, irrespective of brand. Low quality built-in amps maybe?

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/09/12 12:47 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's NOT hard to make a quiet set of speakers.
But it's very easy to make junk.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Its interesting there is a lot of noise of forums about Yamaha HS80m's producing a humming noise but mine don't but I have had noise from a $17k pair of Focal SM11's on some occasions. I don't pretend to know much about speakers and why they produce noise except I know what my ears tell me.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Not on the pair I have, virtually silent.

Monitoring from what distance? How quiet is your room?

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 01/09/12 02:40 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I never heard any noise with my RP8's nor 10s.

Monitoring from what distance? How quiet is your room?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dr Popper and gvfarns -

I'm trying to determine if the 10-3's I have are defective.

You both report "virtually silent" and "never heard any noise". As I wright this, I can hear the 10-3's from about 6 feet away, and that's over the noise of the computer. (The computer is a Mac Pro and pretty quiet, but still not silent).

What do you hear with your ear up to them?

Thanks,

Lawrence

J
J
Guys I have the HS 80's and I definitely have a low hiss coming from both speakers even with no cables connected and tried in a number of different outlets thru out the house-

Not very loud and not heard when playing even at low volumes--

Spoke to Yamaha and they acknowledge that it is there and is the amplifiers producing the VERY low hiss-

Now I use the monitors thru a mixer and I can increase the volume of the hiss if I do not have the gain set correctly on the mixer--again the hiss is not at all annoying but is definitely there and from what I have read on other forums seems all HS 80's exhibit this low hiss.

Jack

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I no longer have my KRK's (sadly) but I used to have the RP8's (generation 1) and the 10S (also generation 1). I used balanced XLR cables to connect to my DP. I never noticed any extraneous sound at all, even sitting just a foot or two away in a silent room. I never put my ear all the way right up to it, but for practical purposes, I can say they were silent.

I've never owned monitors, but the comments, above, don't speak well of the low-cost kind.

I use a conventional 5.1 stereo receiver. With no inputs and volume set to maximum, I hear absolutely nothing from the speakers. With the mixer connected I get a very faint hum and hiss, barely audible. But I normally listen with the volume set to -40 dB, so that hum is 40 dB below barely audible. No problems at all.
Originally Posted by JackieH
I have the HS 80's and I definitely have a low hiss coming from both speakers even with no cables connected ...

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

What do you hear with your ear up to them?

With everything off and my ear up to them I can hear a slight noise but it isn't audible say 1 meter away unless I'm REALLY listening for it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks gvfarns and Dr Popper.

It would seem that the pair I have are defective, based on what you are saying.

When I spoke with the store they said "turn them down". Well, I had already tried that. Adjusting the volume control on the back of the monitors had no effect on the volume of the hiss. They then said that is because the control is only turning down the preamp stage, and the amp is running at full level.

I need to find another pair, even at another store, to see if I can get the quiet levels you guys are.

I of course, don't typically put my ear up to a monitor, but only did this to compare the Behringer with the KRK.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
What a strange thing to say. What could they be referring to when they say "turn it down" besides the gain (i.e., preamp or volume) on the dial in the back?

They did understand you when you said that the noise happens even when it is not plugged in, right?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
They did mean the control on the back of the monitor. Also, I did make it clear that the noise occurs even with no audio attached.

Basically, I was told (a) they've never had anyone make this complaint before, (b) the monitors are too large for my room, and (c) my room is too quiet for the monitors.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
They did mean the control on the back of the monitor. Also, I did make it clear that the noise occurs even with no audio attached.

Basically, I was told (a) they've never had anyone make this complaint before, (b) the monitors are too large for my room, and (c) my room is too quiet for the monitors.

LOL @ C

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I can't find a SNR spec for the RP10-3, but if it's "only" going to manage CD levels of dynamic range, then at 1 metre the background noise would be 113dB (the max rated SPL of this speaker) - 96dB = roughly 17dB SPL, which is definitely audible, but rather quiet. In this age of high definition audio though, you'd expect it to do considerably better than CD quality.

Greg.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission