2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
casinitaly #1849985 02/23/12 05:15 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Hi again PPP, thank you for accepting my words in the spirit they were intended.

I really do admire your determination - and maybe you do need to give your target more time to see if it is realistic or not.

I have an idea. How about a sort of compromise?

I will go to the first page of MOYD and create a new category - I will call it "MOYD with a twist" smile

This can be a slot for anyone who has a special target for their daily activities. The target doesn't have to be disclosed or discussed - (so no stress for anyone) - but you can report in as necessary that you fell off the wagon and are getting back on....and I hope that I won't be seeing too many reports! :):)

Would that work for you?

Really the point of all this is to help and encourage people to reach their goals, - if that will help you, then.... well, why not? It isn't as though it creates extra work.

Would you like that?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

casinitaly #1850001 02/23/12 06:29 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, so far, other than my trip to the states, I have been faithfully practicing every day. I will admit that one day was only 15 minutes, because we went on an overnight skiing trip. While everyone else was breakfasting, I slipped off for a short rendezvous with my piano. It was all I could do before the train. But, that balances out my 4+ hour practice days when its such fun that I just can't get enough piano!

casinitaly #1850479 02/24/12 12:14 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Hi again PPP, thank you for accepting my words in the spirit they were intended.

I really do admire your determination - and maybe you do need to give your target more time to see if it is realistic or not.

I have an idea. How about a sort of compromise?

I will go to the first page of MOYD and create a new category - I will call it "MOYD with a twist" smile

This can be a slot for anyone who has a special target for their daily activities. The target doesn't have to be disclosed or discussed - (so no stress for anyone) - but you can report in as necessary that you fell off the wagon and are getting back on....and I hope that I won't be seeing too many reports! :):)

Would that work for you?

Really the point of all this is to help and encourage people to reach their goals, - if that will help you, then.... well, why not? It isn't as though it creates extra work.

Would you like that?

Sounds Great! Lets do it.

casinitaly #1850498 02/24/12 01:16 AM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I didn't contribute to polyphasicpianist's original thread about wanting to go beyond the minimum MOYD requirements, but having watched this in operation now, I don't think MOYD with a twist makes sense. In the context of MOYD, I feel no cheerleading sympathy at all for someone beating themselves up for practicing two hours a day. I think MOYD is about just getting to the piano, and if someone wants group motivation to do something else or more, it would work better on a different thread.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I didn't contribute to polyphasicpianist's original thread about wanting to go beyond the minimum MOYD requirements, but having watched this in operation now, I don't think MOYD with a twist makes sense. In the context of MOYD, I feel no cheerleading sympathy at all for someone beating themselves up for practicing two hours a day. I think MOYD is about just getting to the piano, and if someone wants group motivation to do something else or more, it would work better on a different thread.

PPP did try to start a different thread, but there were no takers. I'm trying to offer a compromise.

I see your point - but I see that it is important to PPP too.

However, if there is strong feeling against this idea then that's a problem too.

hmmmmmmm a bit more thinking on this one is required perhaps..

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1851099 02/24/12 10:30 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
casinitaly, I have recovered from my ill humor of last night. If the Twist works for you and polyphasicpianist, and no-one else objects, then I won't object either.

Separately: I got to play a clavichord for a very teeny bit tonight. A fascinating instrument. I wonder if this counts for MOYD smile .

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
casinitaly #1851114 02/24/12 11:13 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I've been reading this, too, tho I don't participate in MOYD simply because it's not my style to play every day. I do have goals, and I keep track of them. I don't personally feel a need to find a way to use MOYD "with a twist" in order to keep track of them or to share them with others, tho that's just me. MOYD is MOYD, to me, and it's been around a long while. I think it's a kick that people do this to encourage each other.

I've read casinitaly's clarification, each time ppp posts, that MOYD isn't about how much time, and for sure not about 4 hours a day, but about getting some time each day. And I can see that it needs to be clarified each time, because some people come to the thread late and may not read the whole thing, and be confused about the basic premise of MOYD.

So for one thing I think it is ppp's responsibility to MOYD to clarify, if he's posting about specific numbers of hours, that he's fallen off his personal wagon, and not off an MOYD wagon, so that others will not mistake the "particular amount of time" as a general MOYD thing, rather than the "at least a little" time that really is MOYD's. I don't think casinitaly should have to do that.

And I really don't see a need for a category for one person. :shrug: If no one else was interested in Extreme MOYD (I think that was the proposed name) then - oh well. MOYD as it is can work for ppp if he sets his own goals and reports when he's off the wagon. He could, in fact, simply report that he's off the wagon without going into what his particular goals were, and treat MOYD just like everyone else does. "I'm off the wagon today - I was just lazy laugh " or "I'm off the wagon - work took a huge amount of time, but hope to be back on tomorrow." That would work, too, and he wouldn't have to explain, in order to be responsible to MOYD, that his personal wagon is 4 hours/day.

So I think, if ppp took the responsibility of doing the clarifying about his personal goals, and - for his sake as well as others - used MOYD as encouragement to get back on the wagon and not punishment for falling off (I'm with casinitaly on this - the encouragement is the thing), then the separate category wouldn't be necessary.

JMO, of course, and since I only lurk on this group, it's worth about what you paid for it laugh

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 02/24/12 11:14 PM. Reason: added some commas

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
casinitaly #1851144 02/25/12 12:18 AM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
jotur, that makes sense.

casinitaly #1851227 02/25/12 04:55 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Pianostudent88 - thanks for coming back with a different perspective. (and wow, playing a clavicord? what fun. In my MOYD book, that counts (and I guess therefore...it counts wink )

Jotur/Cathy - that was a very thoughtful and logical post. I really like the way you laid everything out so thoughtfully.

Personally I think this could work very well, and at the same time keep things simple and not create confusion on the fundamental premis of MOYD which is simply to get to the keypboard.

PPP - are you still with us - does this work for you?
It seems like a very good option to me.
Let us know.

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1852744 02/27/12 09:26 PM
D
D
I was out of the country on vacation last week. Just had my first practice session since returning. It felt great (both the vacation and the practice session).

Derrek #1855530 03/03/12 01:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My husband had surgery last week and was in the hospital for two days. So I had two days when the only practice I did was playing through a couple of pieces from memory for a total of about five minutes at the end of each day. He is doing very well, and should make a speedy recovery. He hopes to be back to skiing before the snow is gone!

SwissMS #1855555 03/03/12 02:24 PM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My husband had surgery last week and was in the hospital for two days. So I had two days when the only practice I did was playing through a couple of pieces from memory for a total of about five minutes at the end of each day. He is doing very well, and should make a speedy recovery. He hopes to be back to skiing before the snow is gone!

Glad your husband is going to make a speedy recovery! That's wonderful.

As for only getting in 5 minutes - hey, you got to the piano (at what must have been a stressful time!) I hope those 5 minutes added a smile to your day.

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1855787 03/03/12 10:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let us know.

Yeah, everything is good. I haven't had a chance to get onto PW in a few days, but I seem to be back on track, or "on the wagon" as MOYD lingo would have it.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
Let us know.

Yeah, everything is good. I haven't had a chance to get onto PW in a few days, but I seem to be back on track, or "on the wagon" as MOYD lingo would have it.

Welcome back "on the wagon" smile

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1856108 03/04/12 02:38 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
SwissMS,
I'm glad your husband is home and mending...that kind of worry is tough. I'm impressed you got the 5 minutes in...good for you.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
casinitaly #1861387 03/13/12 09:26 PM
M
M
Hi Casinitaly, I missed March 5-12 ( except 9 and 11, where I squeezed in a bit of practice on the hotel piano) and will miss March 17-21. Both are work trips. I have been "practicing" fingering of the minuet I'm working on away from the piano, and reading the Charles Cooke book about effective practice, just to keep my head on the piano...

casinitaly #1861523 03/14/12 03:26 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
MaryAnn - great idea to do some brain work on the fingering when you can't actually get to the piano!

I almost missed yesterday - I had a super long day and came within inches of just not playing, I was pooped. However, I decided I would just run through my scales or something...and ended up playing for about half an hour. smile

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1863053 03/16/12 11:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My husband made a quick recovery, so we went on a ski trip Tuesday through Friday. I was unable to practice piano Wednesday or Thursday. We are going again next week for the same Tue-Fri so I will miss those same two days. The skiing was great, and now my legs are happy that I am back on the piano bench!

SwissMS #1863179 03/16/12 03:36 PM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My husband made a quick recovery, so we went on a ski trip Tuesday through Friday. I was unable to practice piano Wednesday or Thursday. We are going again next week for the same Tue-Fri so I will miss those same two days. The skiing was great, and now my legs are happy that I am back on the piano bench!

Great to hear your hubby is doing so well!!!!

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #1865021 03/19/12 10:04 PM
T
T
Hello. I need to be excused today for illness. Hope to be back at the keyboard tomorrow. Too queasy today to focus on a score, alas.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission