2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Anglagard44, CyberGene, AB99, astrotoy, Bett, BachToTheFuture, danielp11, DionG, 5 invisible), 407 guests, and 493 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? #1819619 01/06/12 10:56 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi,

I am new here, I am looking for some advice.

I have a piece that I can play and I really like (in this case, it's the The Bach/Gounod Ave Maria, for Piano and flute, but that should not matter), and I am looking for pieces that are (subjectively) similar to this.

How does one searches for pieces that are similar to other pieces?
(Besides starting a thread here for every question, which does not seem to be that effective.)

Is there a site somewhere, which collects some "music similarity data" for music pieces, and can list similar pieces for a given piece?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819622 01/06/12 11:01 AM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Similar in difficulty, mood, compositional era, form, length, or...?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/06/12 11:03 AM.
Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819633 01/06/12 11:17 AM
Mark_C Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by Csillag
....Is there a site somewhere, which collects some "music similarity data" for music pieces, and can list similar pieces for a given piece?....

I doubt it. As per the above reply, there would be all kinds of ways of defining what kind of similarity you're talking about, plus other issues.

The main thing that strikes me about your question is that the notion seems to come from some different field, and I wonder if it does. I'm aware of various fields that do deal with things like that -- such as the disparate fields of weather forecasting and baseball analysis! -- but I've never come across anything like that in music. Do you have some background or experience with another such field?

I'm a big baseball fan and love looking at "similarity scores" between different players. One of the major baseball websites, baseball-reference.com, gives lists of "most similar" players for each player, based on crunching of their records. I think this would be much harder to do with music in any particular way that would satisfy many people. There are just too many variables, and I think they would be very hard or impossible to define effectively in a way that would lend itself to this kind of parsing.

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819659 01/06/12 12:20 PM
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A music score Pandora... That would be awesome!!

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819686 01/06/12 01:14 PM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
pianoloverus:

In this particular case
- Should be arranged for piano + flute
- Should have a similar mood. (Or the exact emotions could be different, but the level of passion should be at least the same.)
- In this given piece, I especially like how the various keys morph into each other, while the melody is moving along like nothing happened. (For example, how the beginning C-major is kind of "overthrown" by an F-major, and then G-major, and then the original C-major returns.)

Mark_C:

Yes, there are many variables, and many ways do define similarity; however, if people could leave textual descriptions (about why they consider two pieces similar), this could be covered. (But I understand why this is not easy, or common.)

About similar projects: what comes to my mind first is the anime recommendations database, and than there is TV Tropes.

So, of there is no such site, then should I just start asking around?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819697 01/06/12 01:48 PM
pianoloverus Offline
I'm sure there there are quite a few pieces but I don't know the flute repertoire at all. Here's the only one I know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8kLy8qJFbM

Available here:

http://www.mikegarson.com/shop/inde...ghters-for-flute-and-piano-digital.html#

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: pianoloverus] #1819715 01/06/12 02:18 PM
Susan K. Offline
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Here's the only one I know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8kLy8qJFbM

Oh, that was absolutely lovely. Csillag, what I do is actually go to Sheet Music Plus and look around for the music. So you can search piano/flute -- then I would look at the music and if you found something seemed similar to the features you're looking for, then I would put it into YouTube and listen to the music to see if I actually liked it. The other thing that I really like about YouTube is that if you put in one thing, there are always the other "related" videos on the right column that can lead you to hear other pieces that you might like. Yes, you hear some really bad stuff, but it's research to find the gems. Good luck with your quest.

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819737 01/06/12 03:04 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Probably the closest to what you are looking for (although not quite what you are looking for) is this. I don't think that what are you looking for exists, although it would be awesome.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: ChopinAddict] #1819744 01/06/12 03:26 PM
Mark_C Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Probably the closest to what you are looking for (although not quite what you are looking for) is this.

Great get!

I don't think that what are you looking for exists, although it would be awesome.

Yes. I think what you found might be as close as there is to what I thought he meant. smile

Csillag: I didn't realize you meant specifically flute + piano. In view of that, I think you're trying to be way too fine on the rest of it, regarding any formal search of that sort, since the combo in itself is a fairly limited repertoire. What SusanK said sounds like the best advice there could be:

....you can search piano/flute -- then I would look at the music and if you found something seemed similar to the features you're looking for....

Re: site for searching pieces that are similar to other pieces? [Re: Csillag] #1819759 01/06/12 03:55 PM
pianoloverus Offline
SS:The Swan
http://imslp.org/wiki/Le_carnaval_des_animaux_(Saint-Sa%C3%ABns,_Camille)#For_Flute_and_Piano_.28Taffanel.29

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do I start teaching piano?
by Classical Lover - 02/22/20 02:00 AM
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,112
Posts2,928,487
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission