2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
T
T
Not really, James. The NX300 organs are amomng the worst I've ever come across.

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by thomsurf
My Kurz SP4-7 could do the job, but the action is just too poor.

Oops, sorry Thomsurf, didn't see that you'd already got the SP4-7.

Although I'm not gigging with the SP4-7 at the moment, I have it as a second-tier board above the MP6 for rehearsals. I'm using it mainly for its KB3 organ sounds. Having loaded in the PC3 patches (with OS 2.0), and added an Evolution UC33e as a controller, I get full midi drawbar control, and the sound is very good. I use The Real ABC patch almost exclusively, as I think its the most authentic Hammond patch in the board. The action seems OK for organ. Have you thought about using the SP4-7 as a secondary board, above your Roland?

If you're just looking for an all-in-one solution, the FP-7F has a tonewheel generator, as does the MP6 (with the added benefit of being a few pounds lighter). The Numa with the updated sounds, and using the second organ patch, will give you something just about usable for that Coldplay song, although its a somewhat fuller drawbar registration, if memory serves.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
T
T
The Real ABC is my favorite hammond program on the sp4 as well...Thanks for your advice, but If I have to pretend I'm Chris Martin from Coldplay, I only want one piano on stage as it will be sitting in a fake piano cabinet wink
I actually played an MP6 for an hour yesterday. Incredible action, but I couldn't really connect with the piano sound.

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The NX300 organs are amomng the worst I've ever come across.

I don't disbelieve you, and lots of people say this about the tonewheel organs in the RD-700GX & RD-700NX which I suppose are the same. Have you tried tweaking them? Because some say if you heavily tweak them you can get a much better sound.

Does anyone have a MIDI file of an organ performance, and an associated MP3 file of that performance using an organ voice they're particularly fond of? If so I'd like to try replicating it on our RD-700NX.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I actually played an MP6 for an hour yesterday. Incredible action, but I couldn't really connect with the piano sound.

I know exactly what you mean. I keep trying (and I mean really trying) to fall in love with the MP6 as a piano, but the most I can muster is a mild flirtation. I was playing my FP-4 yesterday, as a prelude to taking it out on some jazz-oriented gigs, and was getting annoyed with the action. So I turned to the MP6 to give it a go instead, and just couldn't make it sound as good as the old FP-4! Of course the MP6's action is in another league compared to the Roland, but it just doesn't quite cut it sound-wise. I'm weighing up (literally!) whether to hump the FP-7F to the gigs instead, and enjoy great action and sound. Maybe I should book the chiropractor now... Or I could give the Numa a go, but I've been reserving that for use with my main band.

mabraman, 2015
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I didn't realize the FP7F is that much heavier than the MP6.

T
T
Originally Posted by dewster
The NX300 organs are amomng the worst I've ever come across.

I don't disbelieve you, and lots of people say this about the tonewheel organs in the RD-700GX & RD-700NX which I suppose are the same. Have you tried tweaking them? Because some say if you heavily tweak them you can get a much better sound.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just spend an hour trying to create a sound but it came out worse than the preset. Don't know if that says more about me or the rd300nx wink

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
K
K
Just checking in to see how the Numa piano has been treating you on your gigs? I'm really interested in the Numa line (The Nero looks interesting) as a midi controller for a Virtual piano.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
The Numa Piano has been fine on gigs for me. The soundpack update has made levels more consistent across different sounds, which is helpful. I still wish there was some way to access the old sounds, but Studiologic seems deaf to that request.

There are still some kinks to be worked out. I wanted to attach a sound module, but there is no way to turn off program change messages (see earlier in the thread), even when not using the MIDI controller section. Also, very occasionally during rehearsals I have been startled by the piano playing a few notes on its own! I don't know if I was touching anything at the time, but somehow it must have plucked a MIDI message from the ether. This has never occurred during a gig.

The action is adequate but not great. It is a little difficult to control at lower velocities. I might give the velocity curve another tweak to see if I can get it better. However, I've been spoiled recently as I was using the MP6 for band practice - and that action is streets ahead of most other DP actions.

However, when I pack it in an old Privia gig bag and carry it in one hand, with my Numa organ in the other, I can forgive it its foibles! And it sounds great!

mabraman, 2015
K
K
Glad you like it! Thanks for the update.

Last edited by KHen; 12/25/11 03:26 AM.
T
T
I recieved my Numa Piano yesterday. I have no logic reason for getting one other than a feeling that it's a very special DP. I don't even need an extra DP...But I guess it's ok to act from the heart once in a while.

Anyway, I was right! This is a special piano. The piano sounds are very good and have a long smooth decay that makes me relax when I play. Something I've been missing always in my DPs. I thought my RD300NX was as good as they get, but IMO the Numa Piano beats it.
I'm a pop/rock player so pedal stuff (other than sustain) doesn't mean that much to me, but this would be an even better dp if it had that. Especially the 'pedal noise' that I enjoy when playing my Roland...
I really thought the Numa Piano would be a gigging piano and that it would fall short when playing with headphones at home. Stoked that it's both! It sounds absolutely fantastic through my AKG 240s.

Thank you all for the many posts in this thread!

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Welcome to Club White, Thomsurf! I'm glad that you're happy with the purchase - it's always nerve-wracking when you buy without the chance to try the instrument first.

I assume that you're running on the original sounds, and haven't updated yet. I still wish I could reload the original main piano as one of my sounds, as it's quite different from the updated one, and has a charm of its own.

Please do keep us posted as you get to know the Numa.

mabraman, 2015
T
T
Thanks VP.
I assume that it's the original sounds I'm using. I don't think I will update these as the first preset is a killer piano except for the fact that the lower keys could be a bit louder, especially the second lowest 'g'. Anybody else experiencing this?

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
T
T
Congrats on the new purchase! I'm still really digging mine and am looking forward to seeing how far they (designers & programmers) take this unit. I must admit that it was nerve wracking before they got the instability issues worked out wondering whether or not it would lock up on a gig, but I'm pretty sure (hopefully anyway) that those days are behind us.
I really enjoy playing both the Numa piano & organ and am thrilled that there are finally keyboards on the market that sound great and don't break your back or your wallet.

Tom
T
T
Thanks Tom...
I had my first rehearsal yesterday with the band. I have NEVER experienced a DP that sounded that good in the mix. We're talking the worst circumstances here: Crappy PA and a guitarist that's way too loud ; Hooray for the Numa. It's cuts through and 'sings' in a way that makes it a joy to play. I'm happy.

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I just wish that Studiologic/Fatar would support their customers. I have written three emails to Studiologic, and one direct to carlo.maffei@fatar.com and received not one reply.

I need to be able to revert to the original soundset/firmware, and have not discovered any way to do this. I have another small glitch with the latest firmware whereby the piano will occasionally play random notes with indefinite sustain. The original firmware seemed to be pretty solid by comparison with later offerings.

I have also tried American Music and Sound, as well as the supplier, but to no avail.

I really like both my Numa Piano and Organ, and think the concept is great. Why will Studiologic not support their gear? It seems that this pathetic unwillingness to communicate with their customers will damage them in the long run.

mabraman, 2015
K
K
That's a shame to hear voxpops! I'm still really interested in the Numa Nero or, as discussed in another thread, just getting the TP40 Wood action and buying a PNO Midi strip and something to house the keys in to make a portable controller. It's to bad they wont respond and stand by their product.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
Why will Studiologic not support their gear?

This is one of my main concerns with Numa anything. Studiologic has a long history of buggy software and no support. So if it does what you need out of the box, great. But if you hit any glitches, don't expect any fixes or any help. I'm not saying that people shouldn't buy them, but it is an issue.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by voxpops
Why will Studiologic not support their gear?

This is one of my main concerns with Numa anything. Studiologic has a long history of buggy software and no support. So if it does what you need out of the box, great. But if you hit any glitches, don't expect any fixes or any help. I'm not saying that people shouldn't buy them, but it is an issue.

why not say people shouldn't buy them? customer service is a critical part of any business- we should NOT tolerate corporate arrogance or incompetence from those whose products we buy. That is plainly and simply the beauty of the free market, you vote with your wallet. if nobody buys Studiologic stuff- then somebody will wind up buying Studiologic the company and will fire the stiffs who create such an atmosphere.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
T
T
Sounds like I should stick with the original firmware. Don't want to risk anything. I agree that non existing customer support is unacceptable and needs to be addressed, I guess some companies in some european countries tend to a different business 'culture' than what you Americans are used to.

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission