2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1816491 01/01/12 04:00 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Due to the revamped programming in my viewing area PBS
doesn't carry the piano guy's program, if you are a fan
take heart! smile www.pianoguy.tv

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hahahahahahahahahaha :P Oh I am sure watching that will make playing piano that much easier and happen "in a flash" haha this guy needs HELP LOL

Last edited by joeb84; 01/01/12 04:27 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
B
B
The problem with the "piano guy" is that he really doesn't teach you anything. His guests are the ones who I wouldn't mind learning from but all they do is some small talk and then play the tune at their very advanced level and you're left with saying "huh?". Early on I bought into this program but really didn't go anywhere at all until I actually got a teacher and then things started coming together.

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I get your point BT..I learned by watching..IE guest Dave Powers played "I've Got You Under My Skin" and demonstrated the opening riff.. and I did learn from watching..
it smile

B
B
Dave Powers is my favorite guest on the show and "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "Fly Me To The Moon" are played wonderfully by him. Wish I could take lessons from him.

oh, that's the guy that has the emmy award. He should sometimes mention that on his site and advertising ;P

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm not here as an apologist for Scott. But lighten up. There are many ways to learn. Scott's approach is one of those ways. Some of us are simply not interested in the traditional methods.

I have bought some of Scott's material and found it useful.

If nothing else Piano Guy TV is very watchable as infotainment.

Cap'n

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by btcomm
The problem with the "piano guy" is that he really doesn't teach you anything. His guests are the ones who I wouldn't mind learning from but all they do is some small talk and then play the tune at their very advanced level and you're left with saying "huh?". Early on I bought into this program but really didn't go anywhere at all until I actually got a teacher and then things started coming together.

+1. But I'm also agree with Captain Kawai on not throwing out the baby with the bath water. Just because Scott's don't doesn't mean that there aren't products out there that do--for those of us who, for whatever reason, can't manage a private teacher.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/01/12 07:32 PM.
N
N
Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
If nothing else Piano Guy TV is very watchable as infotainment.

Yeah I've watched a few of his vidoes on youtube... as a complete beginner they don't help me learn anything because they are too fast and talk about stuff I haven't learnt yet. I do however, enjoy the gung-ho, positivity of them. He's just so enthusiastic about it all. I simply enjoy watching/listening to them talk about how to play music... thumb so yeah for me its infotainment rather than teaching.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Very good motivator. I like him.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enaple
Very good motivator. I like him.

My thoughts exactly... Scott does a great job of encouraging and motivating learners of all ages, but particularily adult learners. Plus, he is an all-around nice guy!!! smile

The fact that his TV programs and DVDs are successful speaks for itself.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rickster

That all depends on how you define successful. They are certainly successful from a marketing and sales standpoint, but from a critical user's point of view, I'm not so sure. A lot of his dvd's have received only average ratings from viewers on Amazon and there are a lot similar products by others that consistently receive much higher ratings. His image as being such "a nice guy" might be part of his marketing strategy, but image and truth don't always jive.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/02/12 12:06 AM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Originally Posted by Rickster

That all depends on how you define successful. They are certainly successful from a marketing and sales standpoint, but from a critical user's point of view, I'm not so sure. A lot of his dvd's have received only average ratings from viewers on Amazon and there are a lot similar products by others that consistently receive much higher ratings. His image as being such "a nice guy" might be part of his marketing strategy, but image and truth don't always jive.

You mention "similar products" that receive much higher ratings.

I would be interested in what those products are.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with most of your views, I like Scott. He is enthusiastic and has the ability to get people's attention. I too watched the video on Bluberry Hill and just wondered, will I ever be able to do that?

Could be helpful to try some of his products, and have access to Scott through email. I've tried a few online lesson packages and when i've sent emails to the providers they've been helpful. Still I avoid spamming them, think I've only sent between three and six emails to each of those, over a period of six to twelve months.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joeb84
hahahahahahahahahaha :P Oh I am sure watching that will make playing piano that much easier and happen "in a flash" haha this guy needs HELP LOL

Was that really needed joeb84 ?

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
i've watched many of Scott's free vids, and have learned a few things from him and his guests, but i can't get much out of watching somebody's hands. Maybe his pay-for products are notated/transcribed? I don't expect much from anything free, yet there's nothing that would tempt me to order anything either. Sorry Scott.

nada
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dannac
Was that really needed joeb84 ?

It might be useful to keep in mind that the comment was made almost a year ago. If we need to have another discussion on this topic, it seems like it would be better to start a new thread rather than resurrecting a zombie from the past.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You are absolutely correct.

I resurrected it in an effort to find out about the "similar products" mentioned by Starr Keys as more highly rated.

I know she frequents this forum and thought she would notice this topic and jump in.

I probably should just PM her.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi Don,

I don't want to offend Scott or his fans--both of whom, in almost the year that's gone by since I last posted in this thread, I've learned also frequent this forum. So, yes, feel free to PM me.

I am puzzled by your sudden interest in the topic since, as you've stated, you've been studying piano for over six years and, last I heard, were studying jazz with a private teacher and were extolling their virtues. From what I've seen, Scott's materials are mostly geared to a lower level of accomplishment and self-study.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission