2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
On my old Beringher mixer, there's two 1/4" (L/R) in's per Input so that confused me.

My Iphone is using the two RCA jacks and on the Allen & Heath, there's a separate L/R there so I don't think I have to do anything there other than leave the pan in the middle.

I will try again recording again later smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes

In general though, all the samples still sound better to my ears than anything else I've played.

Totally agree! There's nothing else remotely interesting to me in one package compared to the Nords, particularly the Nord Piano. I wonder when the Nord Piano 2 is coming...

Whoa...I just bought this. Give me at least a year...

Lol. It was announced 2 years ago and released in May of 2010, so I'd guess it'll be up for a hardware update in a year just didn't know if anyone heard anything on an NP88 2.

Don't worry you'll be good to go for a while! smile

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well I won't have so much GAS if I don't find a deficiency. smile I did last with a P155 for several years because I did most of my practice on a grand.

I haven't gigged with this yet so I'm crossing my fingers. I did some recordings of the FP7F last year and the nice "stereo" recordings sounded really good. Then I play at a gig and it sounds like the recording below. You can see why I had to DUMP the FP7F fast.

Tenor Madness (Live with Roland FP7F)
http://soundcloud.com/jazzwee/tenor-madness

When the tone comes out metallic like this, I have to tell you that it impacts on what I play. I just can't get into it. My solo suffers too. That's why it's important to see how it sounds when I'm pounding the keys with a band.

(BTW - I did see your Youtube of Tenor Madness too. Nice job but too short of a solo smile ).

My Jazz Blog

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes well this is what I find too - the SN sounds transition into this horrible metallic sound at unnaturally low velocities. You play soft and the piano is totally lost, you play hard in order to be heard and it turns out like this.

People say Yamahas are bright and in general they probably are on the bright side, but they just don't ever sound like this in a mix - they cut through without sounding bad.

I think the Nord will please you a lot more than FP-7F for what you want.

Steve

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
But you hear that right? I placed an order for the Nord, blind, a few days after hearing that recording. At that point, I didn't even care how good the Nord was, just as long as it was non-metallic.

In a nice quiet setting doing a recording at home, I don't end up with the metallic sound and everything is hunky dory. So as a warning to everyone, THESE RECORDINGS NEED TO BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Now having said that, I've tried to simulate a band at my house by playing pretty loudly so I probably have more faith in the Nord recordings.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Just did a test run and looks like the recording is stereo now. The waveforms are different for each channel. So I'll do some solo piano stuff later on on different samples.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
OK this is in Stereo. Solo piano excerpts. There are four separate samples here (with space between each).

Order of Samples:
1. Studio 2 C7
2. Grand Lady D
3. Bosendorfer Imperial
4. Studio 1 C7

Solo Piano Excerpts
http://soundcloud.com/jazzwee/stella-excerpts-solo-piano

I just loaded the Studio 2 C7 tonight. I didn't have it there before. I have to say that in the medical register, it sounded the best to me. However it loses body in the upper register compared to the Grand Lady D or the Bosie. So depending on the circumstances, my favorites will be the Studio 2 and Grand Lady D.

Now as before, I left the EQ constant. With individual EQ tweaking, all the samples are actually good. If I forgot what I picked as a sample, I could get lost in it. (I did and then later realized I was on the Bosie).

My Jazz Blog

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
They all sound good here just playing into the recorder, Nords always do. My preference here are the Yamaha studio 2 and Bosie.

You might wanna turn your levels down a bit, you were clipping pretty noticeable in places on the Grand lady d and Studio 2 recording.

With the group I find the Bright Yamaha to work the best for me live.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm downloading the Bright Yamaha sample and giving that a try. I think the useless one of the bunch for me is Studio 1. I can't find anything to like in that one.

Sorry about the clipping. But at least it's in stereo now.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jazzwee for the compliments on the Tenor Madness...and yeah my solo was a hit short!

The Long Release to my ears allows for the note to ring out a little longer when struck to give a more natural decay and more acoustic like behavior. It's a subtle difference but one I could hear.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee just listened to your recordings. I agree with Dave. The Studio 2 and Bosie sound quite good. I have to say give the Studio one some time. It took my ears a good 6 mos to warm up to the tone if the Studio 1, but it has its use for sure.

By the way, what are you using to record? I'm looking at buying an Apogee Duet but what software are you using?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Zachary, I'm using a Zoom H4 as a recorder. I have it plugged into the mixer. Really good recorder.

You don't find Studio 2 thin in the upper registers? That's the only issue I have with it. In my recording I didn't use the upper registers much.

I'm looking forward to listening to the Bright Yamaha. The word 'Bright' turned me off but the sample file name indicates S4. So if this is a Yamaha S4, I'm going to like it.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah I just find the Studio Grand 2 so usable across various genres of music. As for the Bright Grand, notice how different the bass register is (an S4 is only 6'3"). Compare that with the bass of the Grand Lady D and Bosebdorfer Imperial!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well I only have a 5'11 Steinway O at home smile Seems good enough. LOL.

For jazz combo playing though I'm staying away from the bass player's domain anyway. But in the real world, I love the sound of a real S6 and S4. And actually, I would call it the opposite of 'bright'. So it does make me wonder if they ruined a perfectly sounding S piano. smile

Haven't loaded it yet. Will do so in a moment and the mystery will be answered.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Someone in another thread made a comment about my playing lacking dynamic range. I play jazz so don't look at me as a source for testing this with classical music. Not my deal. I bought this specifically to stand out in a band mix.

And you can all criticize my playing all you want. Doesn't concern me.

But for a more delicate version, Beeboss did post this earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted by beeboss

Anyway here is a demo I did with the Yamaha studio 2 sound on my nord stage 2.

http://soundcloud.com/david-beebee/em-braceable-nord-stage-2mp-3

A year ago, I had a similar samples thread on the FP7F and that's probably a more apples to apples comparison.

My Jazz Blog

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Someone in another thread made a comment about my playing lacking dynamic range. I play jazz so don't look at me as a source for testing this with classical music. Not my deal. I bought this specifically to stand out in a band mix.

And you can all criticize my playing all you want. Doesn't concern me.

jazzwee, as you know that criticism on the other thread was motivated by a rather single-minded desire to defend the V-Piano and was very unfair in the circumstances. You are right to not be concerned about this criticism!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I quite enjoy your playing jazzwee. I'm waiting to see what you think of the Bright Grand S4. I played it last night and the sample itself sounds much more even throughout the entire register. You can tell the larger newer samples vs the original samples. I think you'll find that S4 very useful in a band setting. I really like that sound.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Zachary, I did load the Bright Grand and though tonally I can see why it would stick out in a mix, I was just a little disappointed because it didn't sound like a real S4. Or if it is, it's an S4 with hardened hammers. One of the things I liked about the S4 (I did consider buying one) was the tone.

So getting beyond that, I just looked at it as the bright grand sample that it is. It's very clean sounding. I actually think it would great for someone playing with a dense harmonic style like Dave Ferris.

For single lines I still like the Grand Lady D and the Studio 2. The Bosie's right there after that.

I have to give credit for Dave Ferris' experience so I have Bright Grand on the board in case my expectations at home don't match when I'm playing at a gig with bad acoustics. So far everything Dave has said has been spot on.

And thanks for what you and EssBrace said. I appreciate it.

My Jazz Blog

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Wow, that's great! Both musically and sonically. In fact when listening to Nord piano demos in their website, I like the Studio Grand 2 most. What kind of reverb have you used in that recording, is this all coming from the Nord Piano?

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/02/12 11:09 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Thanks for the demo. I'm continually impressed that the Nord pianos sound like acoustic pianos, as opposed to digital pianos.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission