2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
hey there!

i was looking for a 88 hammer action piano with the lightning key function. all i could find was by casio, the models are

PX500L
Casio PL-40R
CELVIANO AL-100R
CELVIANO AL-150R

here are two demos of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43TH46GOnY (fantasie impromptu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhjRdAt3LGI (piano concerto 1)

the best of them seems the celviano cause it has two different colors for the right and left hand, while the others have only color red.

they all have the song "fantasie impromptu" by chopin and i wanna learn it. im not that good at sight reading so these special pianos might help out.

the problem is, i cant see them anywhere nowadays, cause theyre pretty old.

do you know anything about casio making new pianos like these? that would be so great!

thanks, ben

Last edited by Benjamin86; 12/30/11 01:34 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No one learns from those keys with lights, no one.

Take the plunge, hire a teacher, and learn to read music notation, notation that has been around for centuries. Your local library has stacks of printed music for your use. Well, not your use, the printed music exists for those who can read. smile

Your request would be similar to someone who could not read the printed word asking to be directed to the spoken book section.

Get a teacher, learn to read, you'll progress much faster and more importantly, have a more solid basis from which to progress.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
No one learns from those keys with lights, no one.

I didn't even know such a thing existed. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and the Fretlight guitar came out.

[Linked Image]

Plenty of people have bought them, but I am still yet to come across a solid musician who graduated from the Fretlight approach. Therefore I would echo Dave's comments.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Here's an equally worthless method of learning ...

^^^^^^ OMG not that guy again! smile

Dave's right. Get a teacher, learn to read and play from notation. You'll be glad you did, honestly.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Also, while you're learning notation always be sure to take music from the radio, TV, CD, whatever, and try and figure it out without printed music ... using your ears as well, ... but learn to read notation. You'll thank us, believe me.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
While I agree with everyone that you can't learn to play piano with lit keys, I think it *can* help someone who already knows some piano learn a particular piece, which is what the OP asked about. Assuming the intent is to memorize it as you go, it could save a bit of time for a poor reader, particularly if someone's memorization skills happen to be much stronger than his reading skills. Even some pretty skilled players are poor readers, having learned to play largely by ear, and the lit notes could provide a bit of a shortcut.

But that particular piece? Well... I would not be optimistic. Because figuring out the notes more quickly than having to read them would likely be the least of your problems unless you are already an extremely capable player.

G
G
Originally Posted by Benjamin86
... they all have the song "fantasie impromptu" by chopin ...

First of all: Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin is not a song. Second of all: You will need years of school to learn proper techniques to play it.

B
OP Offline
B
i already learn notes, but its kinda hard for me. i can read almost every note, but i need some time for it. it doesnt go automatically, i have to think about it so theres no fluent play frown. i had 3 piano lessons so far, but i didnt talk about sight reading with my teacher, all i could see is that he could play "river flows in you" and "chopin etude 25/9" from the paper with ease. i was kinda "that is insane!!" but he just said "what is insane?". hes a good teacher and next time i see him ill ask him how i can improve my skills in sight reading.
i have some books with children pieces in it, too. for me its kinda frustrating seeing 7, 8 year old kids at youtube playing beethovens moonlightsonata 3rd mov while i got troubles playing "my bonnie is over the ocean". hm, i guess thats a known problem for the adult beginner and i am not the only one who learns this late. the idea with the lightning piano just came because i thought that i can learn harder pieces faster with with it. maybe im wrong.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think most people starting from no musical training at all take a lot of time to learn how to make the finger movements and a lot of time learning to match notes on the page up to notes on the piano. At various points it can feel like one or the other is the thing holding you back (right now you feel that your fingers can do more than eyes and brain can read off the page) but pretty soon you'll go through another phase where you can read stuff that your hands can't manage to play.

For my own part, I can read music really well from playing other instruments. So I have the opposite feeling from you, the notes just fly off the page for me and then my stupid fingers just stumble all over each other trying to keep up.

Also keep in mind that while you're patiently learning to read the notes off the page faster and easier, you'll be working on not only getting your fingers on the right keys in time but also working on doing it smoothly and with exactly the right emphasis and dynamics (loud, soft). That's the part that takes a long time to develop with your fingers...so you might as well spend that time learning how to read the music also.

The lighted keys thing is for people who want to just bang out a tune with the right notes rather than develop the touch and ability to make it sound musical...

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Brent H
but pretty soon you'll go through another phase where you can read stuff that your hands can't manage to play.

wow! i hope i can say that one day. it would be just awesome being able to read like this.

Last edited by Benjamin86; 12/30/11 03:26 PM.
B
B
LMAO, I used to have a light up piano when I was 7. It did not help me learn anything. Its essentially a waste of time and money. If you want to learn how to play piano, stop trying to find shortcuts and do it the proper way.

Ask your teacher to work on sight reading with you. Having the keyboard light up is only going to tell you what notes to play, but you arent going to learn the proper fingering at all. Its just a gimmick.

Last edited by BrokenChord; 12/30/11 03:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission