2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 140 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 139 140
T
T
Here's lesson #3:
Besides what I'm uploading here I'm also doing hanons and voicings in all keys and even the solo pattern in all keys. That is slow going but I feel I need to do it. It's helping me understand what makes up a good melody.
The vocal on the blues is really awful and while I'll continue doing them I probably won't upload any more (vocals).

I also composed a one-chorus solo of Body & Soul (except the intro which I borrowed from an old Coleman Hawkins recording). I did it in a kind of four-to-the-bar style like the recording.

Blue Prints

A Froggy Day

vocal - Blue Prints

Body & Soul

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tf,
All sound really good.
Don't sweat it with the vocals. If you don't like posting them, then don't.

The Body And Soul sounded really good. Is that a composition or improvised? Either way, sounded really nice.

T
T
Thanks Knotty. It was not improvised - I'm a long way away from doing that. But that's why I'm here. smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
hey TF, everything sounded real good man! I liked the combination of LH "windshield wiping" (strumming) and block chords on Froggy Day, the vocals sounded fine, and the B and S solo was excellent. The LH 4 to the bar you can try not staccato, more like marcato or blended, it would sound a bit more modern. Try extending some lines on your written solos intentionally to 3-4 measures of swing 1/8th without a rest, it's a bit harder to do but will give it great flow (in addition to the 1-2 bar lines).

Blessings and keep swingin,

Dave Frank

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Nice going tf! smile Body and Soul sounds professional, seamless. Did you write it out or had you internalised it? Just curious.

As for the scat singing, it helped me *a lot* to remember it's not about the singing. It's about listening and engaging. You've got the idea!

Dave - I get marcato, but what's 'blended'?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
oh wow Time ! Your output was so kool.
B & S was awesome, your compositions are very melodic.
You played the JOI tunes extremely well, much better than I ever did. So are you up to Lesson 5 now ?
And as Dave said, your singing was fine. Even though I record all my singing, I don't post as I think I sound funny in the LH chords and the a capella versions.

T
T
Dave, thanks for the feedback! I'll work on those things. Also thanks for "windshield wiping" - love that phrase.

Thanks 10, I had to write it all out. My memorizing ability ain't what it used to be.

Thanks Cus. I just started lesson four.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yo Dave,
Did you make it on Google+
And have you tried the hangout button to see if it works.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by time flies
Thanks Knotty. It was not improvised - I'm a long way away from doing that. But that's why I'm here. smile

Perhaps not as long as you think!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi time, if that's written out, I'm tempted to ask you for the score. Sorely tempted. But then I would play it. So little time... Anyway, very nicely done! smile

I've been doing the improv practice as knotty describe, just in C. Nothing really to write about yet. Seems to work better when I go for longer phrases.

Tunes in lesson 16 trip me up. Persistently. There's this dom(b9) and no matter what I practice (and sing) I keep getting it wrong. Amazingly, both hands. Spent days on this. Moving on anyway. I can get it right, it's just hit or miss. It's not like it's difficult...

Progression lesson 19's a step up from before. Playing in 12 keys will take some time. How much time should I spend on this? It's a bit like playing the solo pattern in all 12 keys. Easy, with the capo. wink

T
T
Hey 10, here's the pdf. There are three choruses, #1 and #3 are just comping (sadly, I have to write everything down smile ) . They're for my sax-playing neighbor. I may have missed an accidental or two. If it sounds wrong, go with the chord symbol.
B&S pdf

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Time
What script-writing software did you use for this ? Looks impressive.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Tunes in lesson 16 trip me up. Persistently. There's this dom(b9) and no matter what I practice (and sing) I keep getting it wrong. Amazingly, both hands. Spent days on this. Moving on anyway. I can get it right, it's just hit or miss. It's not like it's difficult...

Hi Ten
I have Sidney Bechet's What is This Thing Called Love ? You can hear the blues in this very clearly.
The dom b9 diminished chord fits in harmonically very well with this blues sound.

What was difficult for me about this song was understanding the modulations. When I play D min7b5 and then G7b9, I expect to hear C min6 next. But instead C6 pops up to surprise me.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Progression lesson 19's a step up from before. Playing in 12 keys will take some time. How much time should I spend on this? It's a bit like playing the solo pattern in all 12 keys. Easy, with the capo. wink

Hey 10
At the end of last year, Knots advised on this thread that I can substitute Lesson 19 progressions onwards for arrangements.

One day when I finally finish JOI, I hope to go back to Lesson 1 and do the JOI Solo Pattern in all 12 keys. Maybe I will also add the Progressions onto the list.

T
T
Hi Cus,
I use MusEdit (www.musedit.com). One thing I really like about the program is you can enter an entire piece using the keyboard which is much faster than the mouse once you learn the shortcut keys. Also as of this year, the program is free. If you do go to the musedit website and you're redirected, just back up and retype the URL in the address bar. When you get there, go to the bottom of the page and read the piece about Doug Rogers, the programmer. It's, uh, interesting. If you do give it a try I'll be glad to help you get started.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks so much Time ! It's fantastic. I had trouble installing it on Apple but it worked on PC. How long did it take you to learn ?
Yeah the founder is amazing, reminds me of my ozzie surfie friends living on $6 a day in Bali.

T
T
reminds me of my ozzie surfie friends living on $6 a day in Bali.

I need to call a travel agent.

Glad you like it Cus. I don't remember how long it took me to learn it.

Let me know if I can help.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

Hi Ten
I have Sidney Bechet's What is This Thing Called Love ? You can hear the blues in this very clearly.
The dom b9 diminished chord fits in harmonically very well with this blues sound.

What was difficult for me about this song was understanding the modulations. When I play D min7b5 and then G7b9, I expect to hear C min6 next. But instead C6 pops up to surprise me.

That major 3rd surprised me, but now I'm used to the sound. tbh, I don't think much about modulations. smile

The flattened 9th kept tripping me up, both hands, both tunes. I have called it sufficiently done to move on. One day I will play everything perfectly...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

Hey 10
At the end of last year, Knots advised on this thread that I can substitute Lesson 19 progressions onwards for arrangements.

One day when I finally finish JOI, I hope to go back to Lesson 1 and do the JOI Solo Pattern in all 12 keys. Maybe I will also add the Progressions onto the list.

OK, I'll do something, maybe not all 12 keys. See when I have time for arranging.

tf - thankyou for the score. smile I'll have a look at it.

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 08/12/11 12:27 PM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by davefrank
Ok, I'm down for this Sunday at 10 AM NYC time. We'll do a modal improv class, this should be a superfun new topic, I'm looking forward to seeing you all.

DF

Dave
Thanks so much for listening to my improv progress and also for the awesome class on modal. This modal stuff was completely new to me and is very liberating. After I do all my JOI work, modal improv and tonal improv, I will be totally wiped out by the end of each day.

Knotty
Sorry for mucking up your lesson time ! The modal improv you did was terrific. One moment I'm in space, the next moment I'm in the desert.

Time
Nice to have met you. You picked up the modal improv so quickly.

Laura
You've done really well on your Week 1 improv.

Norm
Great stuff on playing Lesson 1 with 2 hands.

Page 63 of 140 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission