2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The last post in the long running Alfred 3 thread was back in Aug. - and the even longer running and more frequently posted Alfred 1 & 2 threads have been conspicuous more by their absence than anything else recently - whats up with this MIA status? Have they been banished for crimes & misdemeanors against the finer sensibilities of our more delicate members, or have they just died a natural death due largely to lack of interest?

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Everyone finished - great job! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my case, interest is definitely there, progress has hit a road block. Book 1 still has several newbies, although it's not as active as it used to be. Many of my fellow Book 2-ers have gotten more interested in finding regular repertoire and only dip into Book 2 occasionally. And it looks like everyone from Book 3 must have either graduated or moved on to bigger things.

I miss reading the threads too, but between eye trouble and lagging progress, I haven't been posting much. Hopefully that will change soon.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I got up to the Star-Spangled Banner in book 3, got a bit frustrated with it, and then moved on to other things. Mainly, I downloaded the sheet music for Tom Waits' "Martha" (one of my favorites) and I've been working on that.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
L

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013
L
I did all of book 1 and most of book 2, but my present teacher is not happy with going through the book methodically and has been choosing a few pieces here and there while supplementing with repertoire and getting me working on RCM exams. I've done only a couple of pieces from Book 3 but she really dislikes the book and I have to say I agree. Not a lot of interesting pieces and seems to me to be kind of a big jump in difficulty from book 2 (but that may just be my own ineptitude). She's going to have a look and see what else she can find to replace it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And whatever happened to Mark..., the founder and chief promotional agent for the Alfred threads?

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
For me it was finding more interesting and better sounding works to learn from like Burgmüller 100, Anna Magdalena notebook,Clementi 36.

I continue to review the Alfred books for music theory and am gradually learning the pieces at the end of book 3.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
because book 2 is too boring for me personally. i dunno about book 3 i look forward to it though if i can get thru the end of the back of book 2 hahahahahhaha LOL

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Everyone finished - great job! wink

LOL

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
In my case, interest is definitely there, progress has hit a road block. Book 1 still has several newbies, although it's not as active as it used to be. Many of my fellow Book 2-ers have gotten more interested in finding regular repertoire and only dip into Book 2 occasionally. And it looks like everyone from Book 3 must have either graduated or moved on to bigger things.

I miss reading the threads too, but between eye trouble and lagging progress, I haven't been posting much. Hopefully that will change soon.

thumb

D
D
I'm still slowly making my way through. I'm about 2/3 through it and at the rate I have been going it will be mid-summer next year before I finish. That will have been about 2 years for me. Definitely not the length of time I had hoped but it is what it is. I am slow.

I stopped posting in the thread because the only thing I had to offer was what I was working on and how my lesson went. It got repetitious and I didn't want to keep boring people.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DougF, it isn't boring to hear how you're doing.

I quit book #2, and I can sum it up in one word. Blah. I did love the progression of book #1.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
J
J
Alfred's 2 has great things to learn -- but it is terminally boring. They could easily replace those dog-tired songs with new-age material that would accomplish the same pedagogical task. After two years of fairly productive self-teaching with Alfred's, I got a teacher who gives me assignments I want to play (Mannfred Schmitz - Beethoven Sonata in G 2d Movement, etc.)

I don't think I'll go back, but I respect the Alfred's program and it did a lot for me.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
M
M
I just received book 1 in the mail, so i'll be posting in that thread soon, probably. Trying to learn Bach's Minuet in G has been so fun that I think I'll always have a classical piece (or two) going on the side in addition to the lesson books.

F
F
I am in book 1 of All-In_One. Other sources are Gil DeBennedetti web page, "Alfred Merry Christmas Book" (now at Christmas", "Alfred All Times Favorites", http://www.makingmusicfun.net/.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

I thought Book 2 was fairly boring with a few exceptions and Book 3 is even worse to me until the "ambitious" section. I'll be posting in the Book 3 thread real soon.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jrcallan
Alfred's 2 has great things to learn -- but it is terminally boring. They could easily replace those dog-tired songs with new-age material that would accomplish the same pedagogical task. After two years of fairly productive self-teaching with Alfred's, I got a teacher who gives me assignments I want to play (Mannfred Schmitz - Beethoven Sonata in G 2d Movement, etc.)

I don't think I'll go back, but I respect the Alfred's program and it did a lot for me.

thumb Somebody PapaPLEASE tell me book 3 isn't anything like Book 2...LOL

Originally Posted by joeb84

I've found book 3 to be nowhere near as overwhelmingly mind-numbing as book two. It does have its dull moments...but it also has some very interesting pieces to learn.

It can't be too awful as I haven't thrown book 3 even a single time! grin (Book two was airborne quite often and eventually received early retirement.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tararex
Originally Posted by joeb84

I've found book 3 to be nowhere near as overwhelmingly mind-numbing as book two. It does have its dull moments...but it also has some very interesting pieces to learn.

It can't be too awful as I haven't thrown book 3 even a single time! grin (Book two was airborne quite often and eventually received early retirement.)

yea...i noticed a lot of music theory books, book 2 is mostly HARMONY...probably the most COMPLEX part of music theory grinI honestly look FORWARD to it though thumb

Last edited by joeb84; 12/09/11 02:22 PM.

The theory in Book two is actually useful and well presented. For me it was its non-musical learning pieces that pulled my interest into the abyss whenever I opened its pages. I stopped posting on the Alfred's thread after I realized that all I had to say was "Arghh, rip...tear...mangle".

I've never posted about my progress in book three as I barely have time to practice let alone post about my plinking on these threads.

I hope you have better luck and patience with book two than I did!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission