2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
35 registered members (EssBrace, earlofmar, Ankee, David J Staff, CyberGene, EVC2017, ChrisGoesPiano, aph123, Boboulus, 7 invisible), 236 guests, and 445 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hunting for Japanese sheet music #1797632 11/29/11 06:04 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi,

I am a new adult re-beginner, and I am hunting for sheet music.

Besides the classical stuff, the most inspiring music I listen nowadays comes from three Japanese composers: Joe Hisaishi, Kanji Kawai and Yoko Kanno.

So, I am searching for piano sheet music by them.

There are a lot of personal transcriptions (and illegal copies) on the net, but I would like to support these authors by buying their stuff. (Their music has brought me so much joy!)

The problem is, most of the material is only available via Japanese web-shops, or even if the web-shop itself is in English, then the descriptions are in Japanese...

Could someone please help me sort this out?

For example, here is a list of 24 books related to Joe Hisaishi.

The problem is, I have no idea which one to pick.
(Besides ENCORE Original Edition, which I know is great.)

Could someone please help me understand what these books contain, and help me choose from them?

Here is what I am interested in:
- Pieces arranged for piano
- Pieces arranged for piano + flute (my wife plays the flute)
- Pieces arranged for piano + violin (we can try to do these with flute, too)
- Pieces arranged for various levels of technique. (I am a re-beginner; might not be able to take Encore head-on.)

Here is what I am _not_ interested in:
- Anything that is not sheet music, but text.
- Anything _not_ done by Hisaishi-san himself; compositions of people leaching on his fame.
- Books containing only one or two pieces, sold for the same price as collections with many pieces.

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Hunting for Japanese sheet music [Re: Csillag] #1797633 11/29/11 06:10 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here is some stuff that _might_ be Kenji Kawai sheet music: candidate 1, candidate 2

And here are the two books that might contain sheet music by Yoko Kanno. (Obviously, the one which contains "Piano Solo" in it's title looks promising.)

The question is the same: could someone please tell me what these might contain, and is it a good idea to work from them?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

Re: Hunting for Japanese sheet music [Re: Csillag] #1797648 11/29/11 08:06 AM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Kristof, welcome to PW! I love Hisaishi, so I'm happy to help you if I can.

Are there any pieces in particular that you want? There are so many Hisaishi scorebooks that it would be easier to start with something specific. Also, doyouwant arrangements that are as close to the original (what's on a CD) as possible, or do you want easier arrangments?

Also, I have 5 Hisaishi scorebooks, and only one (Encore) is his, the other are credited as being arranged by someone else. But you have to understand that the Japanese sheet music publishing industry is very elaborate and well developed. Hisaishi gets royalties from sales of sheet music. So I don't think you need to rule out all books that are not his official arrangement. Also, a lot of arrangements are based on recordings (as opposed to being reinterpretations) and so for the dot part, they are very good.

Do you already have the scorebook Encore? If not, that is a great place to start.

I don't know as much about Kanno's scores, although I love her playing. One of those books you have listed is by Yuuko Kanno's, and is not sheet music at all, so yes, you have to be careful! The other one is listed as being Easy Piano.

I don't have time to check out all those books right now, and also that web site doesn't let you look inside, so it's probably easier to start with a website like Amazon Japan. If you give me some more info, including level of difficulty and specific pieces you'd like, I can take a look.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting for Japanese sheet music [Re: ShiroKuro] #1797661 11/29/11 08:52 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Hi Kristof, welcome to PW! I love Hisaishi, so I'm happy to help you if I can.

Thank you smile

About what I want: what I like best is music from the Ghibli films, like
- Kaze no Tani no Naushika
- Mononoke Hime
- Tonari no Totoro
- Tenkuu no Shiro Rapyuta
- Hauru no Ugoku Shiro

.. and the rest.

Now that I understand that the original composer also gets royalties from sales of sheet music arranged by others, I have no problem with buying such material, if the quality is good.

Naturally, the best would be to play the pieces exactly like they are recorded on the CD, but I am not sure whether I am up to it yet. (I learned for 10 years, but then I had a 12 year long pause, and now I am coming back... I have no idea how long it will take.) So, some simplified arrangements would be nice, too.

Do you already have the scorebook Encore? If not, that is a great place to start.

For starters, I have already ordered two items: Encore and something called Piano Lesson Book - Joe Hisaishi (by Hisaishi Jiyou) . (I ordered these in a hurry, even before doing further research, so that they arrive ASAP. Still, the ETA is already Dec. 24. So far off...)

Anyway, do you have and idea about the content of this second one, by any chance? Also, I wonder if "Hisaishi Jiyou" is just a variant of the same name, or is it a different person?

I don't know as much about Kanno's scores, although I love her playing. One of those books you have listed is by Yuuko Kanno's, and is not sheet music at all, so yes, you have to be careful! The other one is listed as being Easy Piano.

OK, so then I might try the second one later.

I don't have time to check out all those books right now, and also that web site doesn't let you look inside, so it's probably easier to start with a website like Amazon Japan.

Even if I switch the language (of Amazon Japan) to English, when I execute a search, it reverts to Japanese, so I can not use it right now.

If you give me some more info, including level of difficulty and specific pieces you'd like, I can take a look.

Thank you!

So, I would like to start with scores for "The Wind Forest" from Totoro. I think an all-piano arrangement can be heard on the Piano Stories I CD. I am interested in this full version, in a simplified version, and in a duet version, too. (I would love to play this together with my wife.)

On the other hand, if you have any Hisaishi-related recommendations for my 4.5 year old daughter, than I am also interested smile

Thank you for your help, again:

Kristof

Re: Hunting for Japanese sheet music [Re: Csillag] #1798255 11/30/11 10:01 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Csillag
I would like to start with scores for "The Wind Forest" from Totoro. I think an all-piano arrangement can be heard on the Piano Stories I CD. I am interested in this full version, in a simplified version, and in a duet version, too. (I would love to play this together with my wife.)

After a few more days of listening, I like "Rokubanme no Eki (The Sixth Station)" (from the Encore CD) more and more.

So, my preference is something like this:

Group 1 (in a tie)

- Encore: Rokubanme no Eki (The Sixth Station) (Vetoed by wife)
- Encore: Ashitaka to San
- Piano Stories 1: The Wind Forest
- Piano Stories 1: Innocent (Vetoed by wife)

Group 2 (in a tie)

- Encore: Ballade
- Encore: HANA-BI

Since I have already ordered the Encore music sheet book, it's only a matter of time now; however, in case the original version proves to be too difficult for now, I am also interested in easier arrangements of the same pieces.

Thank you:

Kristof

UPDATE: updated preference list.

UPDATE2: updated preference list with input from my wife. Since I am probably going to work on the same piece for months, I really don't want to start learning something that she does not like at all.

Last edited by Csillag; 11/30/11 05:27 PM.

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,317
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission