2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 87 of 540 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 539 540
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi Michael I'm right there with you on the Christmas carols. I'm currently working out of the same book as you. My songs are: Carol of the Bells, What Child Is This, Silent Night, The First Noel, and Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring. The last 2 are just new starts and the best so far is What Child Is This. Silent Night Is coming along nicely but Carol of the Bells is a bit choppy still.

Like you I have to start early to get enough play time in to get these songs to a level I'd be happy to play for others. I am really going to try to beat the red dot and submit the carols to the Christmas thread!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Mr. S/H - I think we should make it a new ABF tradition to award the star for someone who went above and beyond for the forum and forum members. Yay!

Done!

Thank you - it looks great

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Love the SuperCarlos thank you badge. smile

Everyone has been having a great week, I love reading about the successes, be they big or small.
Marybee, I'd look forward to hearing your Pathetique!
Andy, I am sure your Clementi is going to be great - I loved listening to your recital submission. I even followed along with the score because it is a piece I haven't dared approach yet, but am curious about!
Michael - I don't think you started too early on the Christmas stuff. I'm working on Oh Holy Night right now. I love it.

I'm envious of those playing with siblings. No one in my family is close enough (geographically). However, what is really interesting is that a group of friends that I have pulled together a few times to have a meal and share music has taken things into their own hands and one of them has invited all of us over for a musical meal this weekend. I've created a music circle! woohoo!

I don't do Hannon but I have similar challenges with my Duvernoy. I'm still struggling with some of them, but getting there.

I have a lovely new piece called Romanza, by Daniel Steibelt, from my Joy of Classics (pink cover) - it is going to be a great exercise in terms of using the pedal and working on my crescendos and diminuendos.
Hmmm I guess as I live in Italy I should write crescendi and diminuendi to be linguistically correct smile smile
Anyway, it is really beautiful and I may even submit it to (gasp!) the Piano bar! I haven't yet participated there but I'd like to start. I think it will help me with the red-dot jitters.

Also I'm going to be working on the Salty Dog Rag smile (Thanks Cathy for helping me out!)

AND....... after about 10 days of fog, and feeling like I live inside a low-lying cloud.... THE SUN IS SHINING!!!! It is wonderful!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

I just realized that last year at this time I was just starting out looking for a piano. I feel so fortunate and thankful for all the piano related things in my life at this time - my new piano, my teacher, all the great music I am being exposed to, and all of you good folks here at PW. Learning to play the piano can be a lonely endeavor - after all, we have to spend hours practicing and few non-players, including family and friends, truly understand what it takes to become proficient. Having a PW family to share the ins and outs and ups and downs sure makes it less isolating, and for that I am very grateful.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have the same feeling, Jim. If this forum didn't exist, I could hardly talk about the piano.

B
B

My AOTW has been to, after long travels and adjustment, get back into a rhythm of daily practice - on the southernmost piano in the world. Okay, it's not a piano, it's a keyboard, but I'm almost 100% sure it's the southernmost one. First person to guess where it is and PM me their address gets a postcard. smile

Inspiration of the week has been the recital. I still have to finish writing up my comments on the last set of submissions, but I've listened to them all and boy was that great. This has got to be the best use of the internet ever. Okay, maybe second to email.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm always motivated but morso when starting new pieces. I've just begun Mozart A- Rondo K511. It will be a challenge but I'm excited to be studying it - It's Andante but full of trills, turns, 16th and 32nd notes. It will, I hope be a real 'growth' piece!! whooohooo!

And Michael, it's never too early to begin Christmas Carols. I have two beautiful Melody Bober intermediate Christmas books and am starting my second carol for this year. Good for you to be performing. I don't ever perform but I'm hoping this year, since my sister started playing, we can have some fun with some very easy duets!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
ok, Here's a little achievement... I was playing some Christmas carols with C, F and G cords and thinking...."man it is way to hard to be moving my hand around so much..."

When it dawned on me that I could keep finger 5 on C and switch the others to make the necessary combos.

It is something pretty basic - but it was "revolutionary" for me. smile

My teacher got a kick out my excitement on that one.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly
ok, Here's a little achievement... I was playing some Christmas carols with C, F and G cords and thinking...."man it is way to hard to be moving my hand around so much..."

When it dawned on me that I could keep finger 5 on C and switch the others to make the necessary combos.

It is something pretty basic - but it was "revolutionary" for me. smile

My teacher got a kick out my excitement on that one.

Well done! Next step - move on from the "melody in the RH, block chord in the LH" thing. It's a muddy sound, and rarely happens in "real" music.

The first thing that matters is the melody. Then comes perhaps the rhythm of the accompaniment, perhaps the bass line. That can be discussed. But the "fill-in" notes of the chord definitely come last!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
bessel - are you at the US Station at the South Pole!?!

casinitaly - I love it that you discovered that. It was life-saving for me the first time I had to play dance music laugh Well, gig-saving, anyway.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
M
amen, JimF.

I am struggling mightily with the next 8 bars of Minuet in G, but my AOTW is that I have played it more-or-less correctly a few times. I have to be satisfied with the small achievements or I wouldn't be able to keep going.

stupid question time: Is a block chord when 3 fingers are pressing down at once? What is it called when the 3 fingers play individually in succession? Is that a broken chord? I struggle with the former--a hand tension and perhaps slight arthritis thing--but I really need to master it because the music I most want to play (some Guaraldi-esque Belle & Sebastian songs) have lots of it.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
amen, JimF.

I am struggling mightily with the next 8 bars of Minuet in G, but my AOTW is that I have played it more-or-less correctly a few times. I have to be satisfied with the small achievements or I wouldn't be able to keep going.

stupid question time: Is a block chord when 3 fingers are pressing down at once? What is it called when the 3 fingers play individually in succession? Is that a broken chord? I struggle with the former--a hand tension and perhaps slight arthritis thing--but I really need to master it because the music I most want to play (some Guaraldi-esque Belle & Sebastian songs) have lots of it.

Re the Minuet in G, do try to play it, or sections of it, absolutely correctly, even if very slowly. Then repeat, lots of times. Otherwise you're in danger of practicing playing it wrong, and just getting it right a couple of times by mistake!

Yup, that's a broken chord. When it happens in the LH of a piano piece it's sometimes called an Alberti Bass.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I gave my family a break from my normal practice routine and just played (largely sight reading but some I'd played once or twice before) pieces from a book of holiday songs. First time through I would play as written, second time I would improvise using the chord tabs.

The achievement was that first time through - no way I could have done that last year. They aren't exactly hard pieces (mostly "easy piano") but I was still happy with my reading. Next year I hope to play them closer to tempo when reading ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by jotur
bessel - are you at the US Station at the South Pole!?!

Cathy

Yes! Send me a pm with your address if you'd like a postcard stamped from here. smile

There's a music room with a keyboard here, and if I go early in the morning I can get it - in the evenings it's pretty occupied with other folks playing all sorts of things...

B
B
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
amen, JimF.

MaryAnn -
Is this the minuet in G from Bach's Anna Magdelena notebook? If so, cool, I'm working on that right now. It has been deceptively devilish for me, but I'm finally at the point where I can play it haltingly, not musically, through... fun, though!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
bessel - how interesting! I read a book not too long ago by a woman who was the medical officer there and got breast cancer and had to treat herself with help from other people there until they could a get a plane in to fly her out. It was a real adventure story. Is this your first tour there, and do you think you want to do it again? I'm glad you've got a piano to play smile Maybe you could form a band.

I'll pm you my address - I'd love a postcard. My nephew in New Zealand is on a postcard-sending kick, too, so it's like old times laugh But yours would be really special. Thank you so much!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I practiced rotation and relaxation, and wow what a difference. Power and ease. Crushed grace notes that sound just right. Accents that are strong. Runs that are fluid. Fun, fun, fun.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Michael, I had the same goal as you, 'No.1 next year', a few months ago... and then started learning No. 1. It's addictive smile

It will probably feel sticky when you put hands together, but persevere and you will come out the other side.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

Started learning Bach's WTC prelude 12 from book 2. Thought it was Ab major, then I've realised it's actually F minor. So much for playing in a key I've been learning! blush Well, almost.

Last edited by Eglantine; 11/25/11 04:30 PM.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My achievements this week were 1) pulling out my easy Christmas Carol book, and sight reading with ease! It is very basic, but it felt good to be able to play everything pretty confidently. My daughter is visiting from the US next week, so I might get put to the test of playing carols for family and friends. My second achievement was getting the waltz rhythm in Chopin Waltz in B minor sorted out. I have never had to think about pedaling on anything. It always just came naturally, but my teacher wanted a clear pedal break on the third beat of the measure for the waltz rhythm. Since the melody line crosses the third beat, that felt completely unnatural to me. After hours of frustration, I have it working!

Last edited by SwissMS; 11/25/11 03:29 PM.
Page 87 of 540 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission