2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I just started a thread in the Adult Beginners Forum and one of the suggestions was to post here for a recommendation of an online teacher using Skype.

I'm in a small town in Alaska and there are no FTF ones available to me.

I've been developing dreadful habits for about two years now and have slogged through Alfred and gotten stalled with Piano handbook. I watched and liked Furmancyk and have used various other DVD/You Tube options but feel like I'm stuck.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Kaz

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This sounds interesting! There are other teachers here who do use Skype for lessons; I'm wondering what their input is when it comes to the physical demands of playing piano.

(I'm always willing to try something new.)

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
K
OP Offline
K
Minaku. If you go to my thread on Adult Beginners: "When a teacher is out of the question" you'll get my story: When a teacher is out of the question. No matter how much I would have preferred to have a FTF teacher I simply can't so it was either teach myself or not play. I taught myself and am now stuck/stalled and looking for ways to get to the next level and/or go back and try to correct everything I've done wrong up to this point.

Basically the story is I'm a geezer in a small town in Alaska with NO teachers available.

Last edited by kaziranga; 11/14/11 12:43 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Right, I get that; I wanted to know from the piano teacher's perspective what it's like to Skype lessons. There are some who frequent Piano World.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
K
OP Offline
K

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i sseriously seriously recomment this guy.. he is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

many of his 'courses' are free. one can subscribe as well for a minimal amount. he is engaging, accurate and able to convey logically, what one needs to know.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
"Andrew Furmanczyk's Youtube Music Academy, How to Play Piano I'm just a regular guy, who enjoys helping people out. I've been playing piano and studying music since I was 5 years old, and I am currently a Piano Teacher in real life, I have about 30 students in my studio. I wanted to make this series to help people who want to learn piano, but can't afford or don't have access to a teacher. I'm a pretty easy going guy, so hopefully you'll be entertained!

Happy Practising! "

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minaku
Right, I get that; I wanted to know from the piano teacher's perspective what it's like to Skype lessons. There are some who frequent Piano World.

After moving to Illinois from Maryland, I've continued teaching several of my students in Maryland on Skype... only adults and teenagers though. I like it for the most part. The only complaint I have is that the sound and picture quality can be distracting sometimes, usually because of technical issues with the student's internet connection or computer. All of the student's have said that they have no trouble seeing and hearing me though, so I think they just need updated equipment. That said, I like the convenience, and when everything is working properly I don't miss anything not being "there" with the student. I can see their hands good enough to watch for technique/fingering issues, and I have no trouble hearing what's not working even if I can't see the keys as clearly as in person... generally my ears are good enough to know what's being played without seeing anyway. One other small issue is playing with the students, because of the delay. I often play with students to help them with timing, so I just have to play steady and let them follow along, but it's hard to tell if they're getting it since I hear what they are playing come back considerably late. But it still seems to work ok. After a few repetitions I have the student play alone so I can hear if they are getting it or not. So all in all, I'd prefer to have students in my studio, but I like doing lessons on Skype better than driving to the student's homes.

P
P
I have had students move away and I am still teaching them by Skype. We love it and each one looks forward to their lessons each week. There ARE some "issues" with delay but we all understand that it is a "problem" and we have learned to deal. I have been teaching for over 30 years and just recently took it out of my house. I love being in the large studio.

Piano Teacher

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission