2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 83 of 540 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Christine, blavo! It sounded very beautiful together. Great job for 8 min on stage. Wow.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Is it necessary to make a piece different from how everyone else plays it?

Or is that not what your teacher was implying about making it your own?

Yes, her point was that it's harder to make a well known piece "your own" than one that's not well known. I can see her point but, to be honest, if I could play it identically to (for instance) Valentina Lisitsa's version I would be jumping up and down with joy wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Christine, blavo! It sounded very beautiful together. Great job for 8 min on stage. Wow.

Oh gosh, I hope that it was clear that the youtube clip IS NOT ME!!!! I just posted it so you could hear the music.

I love this piece and most of the work of Arvo Part.

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Yes, her point was that it's harder to make a well known piece "your own" than one that's not well known. I can see her point but, to be honest, if I could play it identically to (for instance) Valentina Lisitsa's version I would be jumping up and down with joy wink

+1,000 That version is sublime. I listen to it regularly. BTW do you recognize her mistake?

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove

+1,000 That version is sublime. I listen to it regularly. BTW do you recognize her mistake?

Did she made a mistake? I only noticed the violist dropping his bow against the piano in the beginning.

Or maybe you mean the missing notes at 1:40? I have two versions, one without the notes and one with the notes. But they are both interpretations from the original. Also because modern piano's have a greater resonance.

Btw, nice that you have your duet with a cello player. I hope there is more to come.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Hmm, I just watched it again but I don't think I hear it. So, if I manage to copy her exactly, I'll have made a mistake?! Rats!! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My bad. I totally assumed it was you. Sorry!

Oh gosh, I hope that it was clear that the youtube clip IS NOT ME!!!! I just posted it so you could hear the music.

I love this piece and most of the work of Arvo Part.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

rofl. Right.

My achievement is that my teacher complimented me on my study of the Kabalevsky waltz smile

She has also given me a technical exercise for this week, from my Duvernoy book. It is the most brain twisting thing I've come across in a while. Both hands move up and down in a scale-like pattern, in the key of D, but the left hand starts on D and the right hand starts on F#.

MY BRAIN HURTS. Mamma mia!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Checking back in - never quite sure if I should, but anyway I just finished re-recording one of my favorite Christmas songs: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", which will probably show up in Mr. Super Hunky's annual Christmas music thread (he usually starts this around Dec. 1st) - anyone else working on Christmas music?

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Hmm, I just watched it again but I don't think I hear it. So, if I manage to copy her exactly, I'll have made a mistake?! Rats!! wink

Just for the record, I didn't hear it myself, but learned of it reading the Piano Teacher's forum thread regarding simplified classical music. I believe "Gary D" pointed out that beginning with measure 14 you play a series of D sharp then E (six times total) in the pattern left hand, right hand, left hand, right, right, right. She repeats only 5 times.

Christine

[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
It was a very interesting day for me.
1) I completed my preliminary recording but i hate it. - I will record it again tomorrow and submit one that is better.
2) A friend of mine called me for a small recital of young (very gifted artists areound here). So I went. One of the performers played the Pathetique all parts. It was a very intersting experience. He had a noticeable (to me) memory slip on the 1st movement at about the same spot I had memory slip when I played it in my recital. But his recovery was much better. He played the 2nd movement beautifully. It was much more emotional rendition than mine, and of course, much better. Anyway, I compared my recording to his performance at home. I realized that the major difference is that I play measure by measure even when I think I am playing the whole phrase.. My video shows myself bobbing head with the beat measure by measure.. Got to fix this. No wonder it does not sound beautiful. Retrospectively, I should record my practice performance regularly. I would have noticed it long time ago. So, DECISION - I SHALL RECORD MY PRACTICE.
3)Husband and dogs did not leave the house. In fact I wound up with a funny video of those two. My husband is crawling by the piano with the dogs. He thought if he crawls he would not be capture by the video. I got both of them captured and intend to share it with you once my husband's computer becomes available. I need to buy my personal laptop. My company forbits us to download any software for security reasons. So it makes it impossible for me to download / upload zoom pictures. Next week, I am buying an apple computer, Mac Air:) since I it's so inconvenient not having a personal laptop. I figure Apple is better for youtube and related activities.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Another achievement = I remembered how to upload videos from youtube.. Yay! I posted it another thread but it's too funny not to post it here too. Enjoy

O
O
I'm not crazy by this sort of topics but here it goes... After the first lessons i took following the learning piano material provided by playpianoTODAY.com (David Sprunger, member here), i was able to arrange my own little Amazing Grace with some simple triad voicings. Im absolutelly thrilled about it. For me at least that's what primarely piano means. Sitting down and improvizing songs you enjoy:)

O
O
Another achievement = I remembered how to upload videos from youtube.. Yay! I posted it another thread but it's too funny not to post it here too. Enjoy

I dont know who to say it was funnier...you, your dog or your husband:))

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Next week, I am buying an apple computer, Mac Air:) since I it's so inconvenient not having a personal laptop. I figure Apple is better for youtube and related activities.

That's fine. But buy the Mac Air because you want an ultra-thin, lightweight (and designer-priced) laptop, not from any idea that it will do YouTube better than a cheaper machine!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hey, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. With my hubby's request, I made it "private" so it soon becomes unavailable after 50 views or something like that. He told me that he does not want to be a youtube sensation. I told him "relax, you weren't nakid" but he is kinda shy about things.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Hey Farmgirl, it was so excellent I watched it three times!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I managed to practice 3 consequtive days with absolute concentration. I found the secret in making progress faster - it's called using my brain while I play which is a brand new concept for me but I am getting used to it. I kind of expected my hands to do everything till now and played on autopilot laugh

So in 3 days I did more than I did the past month, I corrected all the problems my teacher pointed out in my current pieces.

Last edited by Teodor; 11/13/11 03:31 PM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C,

Both hands move up and down in a scale-like pattern, in the key of D, but the left hand starts on D and the right hand starts on F#.

Don't look now, but it sounds like you are playing D major scale in (major) thirds as I understand it. laugh

I've only tried that a few times and also found it pretty mind twisting. I think there is a standard hannon exercise for this but will have to look when I get home.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just this week I received the music that I will be playing with a cellist. My part is quite easy, but the piece is really beautiful (if you like minimalist music). I have pasted a link to a wonderful youtube clip of it. Of course, we will never sound as remarkable as this, but it will be awfully fun trying!!!!
One of my favorite pieces! The first time I heard this was last year in a live piano/violin performance, and it brought tears to my eyes. Just lovely! I'm sure you will enjoy playing this.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Page 83 of 540 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission