2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi,

Has anyone tried to run Ivory II on Windows Embedded?

(The box in question has a AMD Turion Dual Core Processor 2.3 GHz, so the performance might be sufficient, but I am not sure about the software limitations.)

Thank you for your help:

Csillag

C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
By the way, I am talking about a HP gt7720 box, see here:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF05a/12454-12454-321959-338927-3641157-3867471.html

This is originally sold as a thin client, but might be sufficient to run Ivory in standalone mode, too.

Last edited by Csillag; 11/10/11 11:52 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
After looking at this and your two other posts, it's clear that you're using unconventional equipment in an unconventional configuration.

In contrast, I suspect that most users here have a conventional computer with a conventional local disk and a conventional sound card, interconnected with conventional USB and/or conventional MIDI.

So I wonder how many people can respond based on their actual usage? You're likely to get replies that speak to the subject hypothetically.

You might want to cast a wider net, and seek answers on some other boards:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board
http://acapella.harmony-central.com
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum

Interesting idea, however is Windows Embedded available to the general public? Couldn't similar results be achieved with a WinXP installation that had been aggressively stripped by nLite?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Interesting idea, however is Windows Embedded available to the general public?

The system image for this box (that is, the disk contents of a fully installed machine) can be freely downloaded from HP.

Couldn't similar results be achieved with a WinXP installation that had been aggressively stripped by nLite?

Good idea; maybe. I can try installing WinXP nLite at my box, and see if it works.

C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
After looking at this and your two other posts, it's clear that you're using unconventional equipment in an unconventional configuration.

True. That's because
a) I like to tinker
b) I am on a tight budget, so I would like to try to avoid new hardware whenever possible, so I would like to re-use my existing equipment (which is somewhat unconventional sometimes).
c) I have some very special requirements

In contrast, I suspect that most users here have a conventional computer with a conventional local disk and a conventional sound card, interconnected with conventional USB and/or conventional MIDI.

So I wonder how many people can respond based on their actual usage? You're likely to get replies that speak to the subject hypothetically.

That is probably true; but I have no problem with hypothetical answers, and I might get one or two answers based on actual experience, too.

You might want to cast a wider net, and seek answers on some other boards:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board
http://acapella.harmony-central.com
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum

Thank you for the tip; I will consider this.

E
E
Umm I have experience with this kind of thin clients and I think it won't do a great job with Ivory.

Anyways I couldn't see if that particular thin client supports pci-express cards (some do, which people use to install opengl cards), but if that's the case I would buy a SSD pci express hard disk for it and install Ivory there.

T
T
You also need ASIO drivers, which you may not have on Win Embedded.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
RE: Windows Embedded, FWIW there was some discussion about Crumar's products, which do in fact use W.E. Here is the first post from Crumar in the thread: Crumar's first post

(and peruse the other replies at your leisure)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 11/11/11 02:27 AM.
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by egallego
Umm I have experience with this kind of thin clients and I think it won't do a great job with Ivory.

HP sells a lot of different models, which all look very similar. However, they some with completely different processors.

Some come with low-powered Via Edens, AMD Geodes, Intel Atoms and the like, but this modes contains a dual-core AMD Turon processor clocked @ 2,3 Ghz, which scores 1162 on cpubenchmark.net - similar to Intel Core2 Duo E4400 @ 2.00GHz (score: 1167) or Intel Core2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00GHz (score: 1154).

So I don't think this will be the problem.

Anyways I couldn't see if that particular thin client supports pci-express cards

It does, which an extension pack I have just fetched from ebay.

I would buy a SSD pci express hard disk for it and install Ivory there.

Yeah, I considered this, and it's still on the table, but I will only make this step if I see that disk IO is a bottleneck.

My primary concern here is that the built-in OS (Windows Embedded 2009) might not be supported.

Last edited by Csillag; 11/11/11 02:45 AM.
E
E
Dear Csillag, I already saw the processor, personally for that kind of work I would use a Core i7 2600K and 16Gb of RAM, so understand my opinion smile I think the Turion falls a little bit short.

The performance you will get from a pci-express SSD won't be comparable to any external disk. Take into account the size of Ivory II and the RAM of the device. This is by far the best tweak you can do to the thin client.

IMHO for software pianos, the more the better, we are talking about a sample set of 20/40Gb, so unless you have that much RAM...

Windows Embbeded Standard should be fully compatible with Win32 Applications, but of course you won't know until you try.

Anyways you can always install Windows XP on it if needed, we used to flash every HP thin client with our own Linux image.

Regards

C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by egallego
Dear Csillag, I already saw the processor, personally for that kind of work I would use a Core i7 2600K and 16Gb of RAM, so understand my opinion smile

Fair enough smile

If I was to configure the parameters freely, I would go with something similar, too. (Maybe 2600 instead of 2600K, because it has better support for HW virtualization. Might come handy later.) But here, I am working with spare HW, so it will have to suffice.

I think the Turion falls a little bit short.

Synthogy specifies "2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU" for the recommended HW, that's why I hope it would be OK.

But obviously, something stronger would be better.

The performance you will get from a pci-express SSD won't be comparable to any external disk. Take into account the size of Ivory II and the RAM of the device. This is by far the best tweak you can do to the thin client.

IMHO for software pianos, the more the better, we are talking about a sample set of 20/40Gb, so unless you have that much RAM...

No question about this. But the cost of the upgrade would be almost as high as the price of the entire box.

Windows Embbeded Standard should be fully compatible with Win32 Applications, but of course you won't know until you try.

The question is whether Ivory II checks the OS version, and starts complaining.

Anyways you can always install Windows XP on it if needed,

Yeah, that's possible, but currently I don't legally own a license to windows XP. (But the windows embedded came with the box, so that's OK.)

we used to flash every HP thin client with our own Linux image.

Currently, I network-boot every HP thin client with our own Linux image wink

C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by sullivang
RE: Windows Embedded, FWIW there was some discussion about Crumar's products, which do in fact use W.E. Here is the first post from Crumar in the thread: Crumar's first post

(and peruse the other replies at your leisure)

Greg.

Thank you, this sounds good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission