2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
We're having a discussion over in the digital piano forum about the differences between (acoustic) grand & upright actions.

Regarding the let-off feel, which is mostly noticable when playing softly, is there anything about the let-off feel in a grand piano that is superior to that of an upright, that allows the player to play very softly? We are not talking about soft repeats (for which double escapement helps on the grand) - just normal, soft playing.

If a grand is better for soft playing, and it's not due to the let-off, why is it better?

Thanks,
Greg.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, there can be a difference in the feel of let off.

At the point of let off both the upright and the grand have the jack tender contacting the let off button. But on the grand the rep lever is also contacting the drop screw. Well, at about the same time... So there is more, or can be more, feel of let off on a grand. Also the jack can be adjusted for what position on the knuckle it pushes before let off. So this is another place where the feel of let off can be adjusted on a grand that is not available on an upright.

But there is a much more basic thing involved. on a grand the hammers are lifted against gravity. On an upright, they are mostly pushed against a spring, but also are near their balance point. In fact, the bass hammers have enough weight that the difference in the balance point is significant.

So I would say that a grand can be better for soft playing because there are more adjustments available, which may or may not be correct. And when these adjustments are at their optimum a grand will be able to be played with more control when play softly because the gravity working more evenly on the hammers than it does on the hammers of an upright.

But good voicing can make a world of difference, too...

Anyway that’s what I think.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks Jeff - much appreciated.

I read in another thread about the importance of having the hammer to string distance at let-off as small as possible, to aid soft playing. Aside from all the things you have already mentioned, is it perhaps possible for a grand to have a smaller hammer to string distance than an upright?

Greg.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, it is possible to have let off closer to the strings on a grand. But I think the most bang-for-the-buck is good voicing. When the notes sound softer when payed softer, playing softer sounds softer. (Say that 3 times fast wink )

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
We're having a discussion over in the digital piano forum about the differences between (acoustic) grand & upright actions...
Interesting forum to discuss that kind of thing. Over here on the "real piano" forum [am I in hot water now?] f we don't spend too much breath discussing the action on digital keyboards... whistle
...but I think you got the answer to your question...
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
... When the notes sound softer when payed softer, playing softer sounds softer. (Say that 3 times fast wink )
And I'll add: when the louder playing sounds louder, the louder is louder. laugh

JG
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Where is Yogi Berra when you need him?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'll duck the smarty-pants comments wink and ask another serious question: (it may as well go here, because it's related)

Is it true that piano manufacturers have been trying to eliminate the let-off feel (which is especially noticable for soft playing), because it's considered to be a flaw?

Thanks again, superior ones. smile

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think I can now answer my own question. Here is a patent from Yamaha dated 2008 that appears to be for a mechanism that completely eliminates let-off feel/friction:
http://www.google.com/patents/about/11_237_702_Friction_in_a_grand_piano_com.html?id=SnSbAAAAEBAJ

This says to me that let-off is UNDESIRABLE. It also says to me that most digital piano actions are superior in this regard to real pianos! Ha ha - take that. ;^)

EDIT: Sorry - I've been a bit over zealous I think. Let-off has not been eliminated, but the build-up of friction that is mostly felt when playing softly has been eliminated. (although no mention of the repetition lever resistance when it hits the drop screw in that patent)

Greg. (running away and hiding)

Last edited by sullivang; 11/03/11 06:25 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
http://www.mmdigest.com/Gallery/Tech/HickmanAction/analysis.html

I've always felt let-off was a good thing, especially as a piano player since childhood. I like the progressive friction, damper first, then let-off. I feel that it allows for greater control. I could be wrong.

I would love to try a Hickman action, see what the let-off would feel on it. Would it still be as progressive in resistance as a traditional action? I think so as far as the damper is concerned, less with the let-off, but maybe enough to still feel it?

I know for a fact that I dislike digital pianos actions. Especially because they don't have that extra bit of friction/resistance at the bottom of the keystroke.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"If a grand is better for soft playing, and it's not due to the let-off, why is it better?"

Because you are working against gravity.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
I think I can now answer my own question. Here is a patent from Yamaha dated 2008 that appears to be for a mechanism that completely eliminates let-off feel/friction:
http://www.google.com/patents/about/11_237_702_Friction_in_a_grand_piano_com.html?id=SnSbAAAAEBAJ

This says to me that let-off is UNDESIRABLE. It also says to me that most digital piano actions are superior in this regard to real pianos! Ha ha - take that. ;^)

EDIT: Sorry - I've been a bit over zealous I think. Let-off has not been eliminated, but the build-up of friction that is mostly felt when playing softly has been eliminated. (although no mention of the repetition lever resistance when it hits the drop screw in that patent)

Greg. (running away and hiding)

Uh, Roland makes a digital piano that has some kind of rubber fingers to simulate the feel of let off. I agree with Jean. The feeling of let off is desirable.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

Uh, Roland makes a digital piano that has some kind of rubber fingers to simulate the feel of let off. I agree with Jean. The feeling of let off is desirable.

Yes, but that proves nothing IMHO, because some players will want the defects as well, so that it is easy to move between digital and acoustic, for example. I.e - it seems to be a worthwhile goal to make some digital pianos behave as closely as possible to a real piano, even if that means emulating the flaws.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 11/04/11 08:19 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So by the same sort of logic, the "defect" of diminishing volume (decay) is a flaw that is emulated in digital pianos, but not digital organs?

Bah!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
I can't see anything wrong with my logic whatsoever. Real pianos are still important (very important!), so given this, it seems very worthwhile to make digital pianos that behave as closely as possible to real pianos, so that players can practise on digital pianos when real pianos are not available. Any discrepancy between digital and acoustic will make it more difficult to transfer from a digital to an acoustic, and vice versa.

Another "flaw" that is often carried over to digital pianos is the graduated weight. Is that really something that we all want in a piano action, or, perhaps, is it something that is very difficult to eliminate from real pianos, due to the fact that it has larger hammers in the bass, which are necessary to create the same loudness as the treble notes?

Greg.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Seems like a good question for the digital piano forum.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
I found another patent related to reducing jack/knuckle friction, FWIW:

http://www.patents.com/us-5511454.html

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Quote from: http://convention.ptg.org/Class%20materials/FromthePointofView.pdf

"One hallmark of fine regulation is “playing off the jack.”
a. Resting the fingers lightly on the keys at drop/let off contact, press through very
rapidly.
b. Each key should sound, a very light pianissimo, next to impossible to achieve
otherwise.
c. Close let off is the major factor.
d. Some pianists use this on occasion in performance – if the piano is regulated so
that it will work."

So this little "trick" appears to be one advantage of having the build-up of resistance - i.e - without the tactile feedback, the pianist would not readily know how far down to press the keys in order to position them optimally for this style of playing. Very interesting!

Greg.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsy5sz17PzU

Try that one. Yamaha has a digital keyboard...which uses a grand-action as the controller. You want a real piano 'feel'? Can't beat this. Lead weights in place of the actual hammer, but the keyboard itself is from a Conservatory-series grand.

Grands generally have a longer key than uprights (better leverage), let-off can be pushed closer to the strings, good knuckles, geometry, and good regulation can make let-off very light in a grand. No comparison; grands have greater control in ppp-playing. When you add the shift-pedal, and the various shadings in the hammer-felt for expression (the shift-pedal is not just on/off) a grand allows for a much wider degree of expression at low levels. Really! It's an aspect of playing/expression/control that digital pianos cannot touch....yet.

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks again Jeff. (Of course, we now have the AvantGrand, which is presumably a step up from the GranTouch)

Here is another patent for reducing jack/knuckle friction: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/6232537.html It appears to be sort of similar to the Hickman action, in that it has an articulated jack.

Greg.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Wow! I checked out that link on the 'articulated jack'. It is amazing what people come up with. That one actually kinda makes sense.

After reading through the endless minutia of the patent application I reached the description. Basically; don't scrape the jack across the knuckle for let-off. Just fold that puppy in the center and fold it out of the way. Very nearly no friction at all, it just cracks in half and collapses away from the knuckle. Spiffy!

I note that the guy seems to work for Baldwin...wonder if it will get any use in the real world. Good ideas, with extra parts, means expense. Builders don't like expense or we'd still see lost-motion compensators and working sostenutos in vertical pianos.(sigh)

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission