2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 181 of 341 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 340 341
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Scep, you never warn us that you've got new recordings posted on you box.net. I'll check it out.

Oops. After you posted Solar, and I wrote about your take, I uploaded these and I thought I posted that I was doing so. I actually forgot that I uploaded them too. Weird.

So yes, both are from jams with these guys I've been playing with. As you can hear I'm not really solid with the changes and what to do with that CmMaj7 to Fmaj. To my ears its never sounded right, and I'm still struggling to find a way to make it musical. I swear that chord (Cm) was supposed to be some sort of sus or simply a Maj chord, and somehow got recorded wrong and the rest is history.

Anyone know the true history of this tune? Anyone know of a similar chord progression (just the first four bars--the rest has been used on a number of different tunes)

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Scep!
Very pretty version of Body and Soul and I loved that unusual rhythmic feel for solo piano. Your acoustic touch is really good. I think that your playing sounds really good and melodic with less 16ths then this proves it.

I enjoyed the vibe on that one as well. Nice.

Thanks! Has anyone heard Esperanza Spalding's version in 5/4? She's an amazing bassist and singer.

Scott asked earlier who I listen to for ballads and I realized that what I usually do is think about Chopin, Scriabin and other Romantic piano composers, as well as Satie, and some other more 'modern' ones. So many rich voicings and voice leading to really augment one's jazz vocab.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I dislike the first 5 bars of Solar too. It sounds awkward to me, so I avoid the tune.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I thought it was just me. I thought the chords simple enough but yes, in reality it's not that easy of a tune to make sense of. So I too have avoided it.

But Chris posted it first and started the ball rolling. It really cycles through the changes pretty quickly and you're back to the top so fast that it's hard not to become repetitive.

Now though, I have taken it as a challenge and am still working on it.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I must say I love the tune - and those first 5 bars smile
One way to look at them is to view the chordal passage in a triadic fashion.

CmMaj7: G major triad
Gm7: Bb major triad
C7: A major triad
FMaj7: C major triad

Do you see a connection? smile

(LH plays the chord, RH plays the triad [though in the first chord I prefer a Cm6/9 in the LH, and let the RH carry/hold/play the 7th)

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I have never thought of Solar as having awkward or strange changes, but now you mention it I can't think of any other tunes that go from tonic minor to subdom major. There must be some though even if I can't think of them offhand.
I did recently find out that Solar was actually written by Chuck Wayne and not Miles though. It seems Miles was pretty good at putting his name to other peoples compositions - tune up, four, blue in green are all further examples.

Last edited by beeboss; 11/02/11 09:54 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wiki: "It is now well known that his tune "Sonny" (not SUnny), named for Sonny Berman, was appropriated by Miles Davis – who recorded and took composer credit for it as "Solar".

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beeboss
I have never thought of Solar as having awkward or strange changes,.

I haven't either. I don't lock myself into always playing C Melodic Minor on the Cm Maj7 for the 2 bars. Sometimes I'll play off the C harmonic Minor, C Minor Aeolian (Eb Scale) or C diminished, or play C Dorian too. I look for common melody notes or harmonic structures between the Cm and the Gm7. I might even skip over the Gm7 and play off an altered chord on the C7 for two bars. I could do a mix of starting the line with dorian or melodic minor and then going to diminished or vice versa.

A lot has to do with how the music is flowing (or not frown ) , the bass player and drummer, my mood or what I'm hearing that day. I try not to force things. How you connect lines & harmonies are very important--some days it's happening for me, other days not.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

I haven't either. I don't lock myself into always playing C Melodic Minor on the Cm Maj7 for the 2 bars. Sometimes I'll play off the C harmonic Minor, C Minor Aeolian (Eb Scale) or C diminished, or play C Dorian too.

I look for common melody notes or harmonic structures between the Cm and the Gm7. I might even skip over the Gm7 and play off an altered chord on the C7 for two bars. I could do a mix of starting the line with dorian or melodic minor and then going to diminished or vice versa.

That's really good advice. I've noticed the first 2 bars start to sound same-old-same-old after several choruses. That opened my eyes up a little bit with the flexible approach on those chords.

I guess it depends on what the bass player is playing. Unfortunately, I'm practicing with iRealB so it's not a real player. Maybe I sould simplify the chord on it so I have room to manuever and try it out. Like put C- triad in there instead.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Simple is good. Try a Cm add2

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chrisbell

CmMaj7: G major triad
Gm7: Bb major triad
C7: A major triad
FMaj7: C major triad

Using triads is very good too. Again looking for a common connection using triads with the minor Maj 7 but also the aforementioned modes too.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Two more scales/modes that popped into my mind to use over the C minor would be the Eb melodic minor and G harmonic minor. There are others too but those two work well....

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Talking triads, what I was focusing on was the augmented triad on the C-Maj7. And then it starts sounding old. Nice to have my eyes opened a little. smile

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, in your recording, what subs did you think you used or might have used? After listening to it a few times, it may not have been as unusual as I first thought. I think some where chromatic subs to ii-V-I's.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

I guess it depends on what the bass player is playing. Unfortunately, I'm practicing with iRealB so it's not a real player. Maybe I sould simplify the chord on it so I have room to manuever and try it out. Like put C- triad in there instead.

The bass player is supposed to follow you if you are the soloist. If you are suggesting a certain tonality the bass player should pick up on it and play accordingly. If you have an unresponsive bass player then you best just to ignore what they are playing and do whatever you like. The clashes that result can be good. Even with a real player there isn't really much time to adjust your voicing or lines to accommodate the bass notes they play.
To break free of the usual tonalities you use try just playing lines with no chord - play anything however wild and get used to enjoying the weird sounds.
Or you could pick a particular voicing/tonal idea and use it every chorus until it is ingrained. This way you can build up a base of fresh ideas for further exploration.

All those scales suggested by Dave F are great.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

A lot has to do with how the music is flowing (or not frown ) , the bass player and drummer, my mood or what I'm hearing that day. I try not to force things. How you connect lines & harmonies are very important--some days it's happening for me, other days not.

I love those days when everything just seems to go right and feel good.
I wish I could find a mental approach to make every day like this.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well the machine can't follow me smile

But in live playing, instead of having a few clashes before the bass player hears that I'm reharmonizing, stating the first chord as C-(9) would at least make it semi-clear.

Fortunately, I found that my regular bass player does follow me and I follow him rhythmically too. Hard to practice though when I'm just playing against a machine 98% of the time. You're fortunate that you make your own bass tracks smile

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

But in live playing, instead of having a few clashes before the bass player hears that I'm reharmonizing, stating the first chord as C-(9) would at least make it semi-clear.

It makes little difference because a bass player may well play any note on either of those chords. For instance a fairly normal bass line on Cm7 F7 would be ..
C, D, Eb, E, F etc
You might think that the E clashes with the Eb in the chord but it doesn't. The rules that you may use about which notes you should and shouldn't use in voicings don't really apply for bass lines.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
At first that didn't make sense, but I forgot to think in quarter notes and I now realize that the E would be on Beat 4 (a downbeat). So you're right, that would be a common bass line move. That's good to know.

So when is there conflict with a bass player? Are you saying that as long as the root of the chord agrees on beat 1 it doesn't matter?

I appreciate the bassist viewpoint you share here.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Bassists don't have to play the root on the first beat. Often they may play the 3rd, 5th, sometimes the 4th or a tritone, or other notes, depending on context. There is no rule for avoiding conflict with other players, sometimes a chord inversion and bass note will clash a bit, but that can also be good. When everybody knows slightly different changes sometimes it can take a while to work out what changes the others are playing.

Page 181 of 341 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission