2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dustin, I find your general attitude hard to swallow. You have a lot to learn.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I agree with everything you wrote in your post, except for this statement:
Originally Posted by pianomommy1
If you teach because you love it, then it will show and you will have a full studio and you won't be "worried" so much about raising your rates.

Plenty of piano teachers truly love their jobs, but their studios are not full, and if they raise their rates at all, they'll end up with fewer and fewer students.

I think THAT is the real "moral dilemma" of being a piano teacher.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders

When I see the mega churches and million dollar private jets publically frowned upon by the majority of other churches and pastors or Christians...

That information exists, but you would have to study the issue to find out that information, because it is not controversial or sensational, and thus the media will not broadcast it.

I was also under the impression that many small churches have to give a portion of their rakings...

Rakings? Nice.

Bye, Dustin...have a nice day!

ps...Do you realize that now all the religious people in your area who google your name for piano lessons will potentially see this thread and read your thoughts about the church. (not just the Christian church...other faiths also collect "rakings")

Is insulting large portions of the population a component of your business plan?

Oh, so I am not allowed to voice my opinions on any matters other than what you think is appropriate? If someone wants to pass my studio up because of my personal views on religion, then that is up to them. I'll still have a full studio either way.

And not that is should need to be said, but my name will only come up if someone is searching for my religious affiliation. Google uses contextual searches, not searches primarily based off the name alone. You would need to type in my name + church or + religion ... and you'll probably find an atheist forum that I frequent often. Have at it! I do not hide my name or my views because others may be (gasp!) offended!

If you go searching for public officials in office that speak hate against Atheists you won't have to look hard and they are not publically criticized. You know, George W. Bush senior saying that he doesn't think you are an American if you don't believe in God.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Minniemay

general attitude? Are you referencing my criticism on religion? I'd be happy to provide my real thoughts on it if you so desired.

P
P

I was also under the impression that many small churches have to give a portion of their rakings to their parent churches and organizations who are all part of the entire chain of command - which eventually leads to the megachurches and high profile church leaders who are making quite a lot of money.

--

"Most" and /or "many" churches have a personnel committee - or deacon body - which decides what to pay the preacher so most of them do NOT get paid mega bucks. (Granted -- there are some out there who make the decision themselves and that is where the "problem" lies). IF a church is part of a larger organization (ie: Southern Baptist Convention) then they CAN give part of their "rakings" (as you put it) to the organization. They are NOT required to by any stretch of the imagination (well -- I speak for the SBC and a few others but not all religious organizations) This organization does NOT just pay their "high profile leaders" -- this group (I will stick with SBC) pays missionary's, HUGE relief efforts (look into them -- they are some of the first responders with VOLUNTEERS), helping small churches pay their mortgage, etc, etc, etc --

Piano Teacher

P
P
It seems like you have an important business decision to make here.

I am in a very similar situation to yours. I hired a professional graphic designer to design my studio website, and I did a web marketing campaign on Google. Shortly after, I had a full studio and a small but growing wait list (note: I only have 11 students, all of whom take one-hour lessons, since I work full-time).

I don't see an issue with raising your rates incrementally. However, as you say in your original post, you will likely alienate many of your current students.

I don't know of any products or services that raise their fee by 33% at one time. Would you continue using your cell phone, electricity, mortgage payment, etc. if the price went up 33%? To me, 3-5% per year is expected and reasonable.

You put yourself at risk for pricing yourself too high if you do this. Plus, you'll be a less reliable teacher since parents are going to feel extremely susceptible to further heavy rate increases. Part of my corporate job is contract negotiations, and I mandate the inclusion of clauses about capping rate increases at 5% over the term of the contract.

I applaud your business acumen in seeing an opportunity for rate increases, but I feel that such a large raise would reflect more greed than business sense. I value my students' and parents' loyalty, so my loyalty back to them is a reasonable rate increase. My policy protects both my students and me by stating that I can implement a rate increase at any time, but must provide 90 days' written notice. I have stuck to 5% per year (rounded to the nearest dollar) for rate increases, and I haven't lost students for that.

Even though you have a waitlist, you don't know a) if the students are actually going to start piano b) how long they will last. What if their availability doesn't match yours? What if they've already found other teachers? What if they come for an interview and decide that you're not the best fit for them? Or what if they quit 4 months later? The grass looks greener on the other side, but is it?

Children's piano instructor
Member NGPT, MTNA/TMTA/PMTA, NFMC/SJFMC
P
P
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I agree with everything you wrote in your post, except for this statement:
If you teach because you love it, then it will show and you will have a full studio and you won't be "worried" so much about raising your rates.

Plenty of piano teachers truly love their jobs, but their studios are not full, and if they raise their rates at all, they'll end up with fewer and fewer students.

I think THAT is the real "moral dilemma" of being a piano teacher.

ANZ - I think you misunderstood my position and what I was saying === I know that there are many studios which are NOT filled and they love what they do. I have also been in the position where I don't feel like I can raise rates (FL here) and I am STILL in that position (we are priced low in order to provide quality lessons to most anyone who wants lessons). I was speaking more towards Dustin -- if HE taught because he LOVED it (instead of "worrying" over the huge amounts he can make) then his studio would be full and he wouldn't be having this conversation. If HE wants to price himself high - I say "go for it!" -- see what happens.

Piano Teacher

P
P

general attitude? Are you referencing my criticism on religion? I'd be happy to provide my real thoughts on it if you so desired.

I think Minnie is implying that (as you said) you are only 24 with no degree and you seem to "value" yourself above all other teachers (ok -- most). That said, I agree with Minnie -- you have a lot to learn over the years when you get to be 45, 55, 65, and you have LIFE under you and you have a degree (maybe) and you have a better sense of business, and you have been teaching longer. Please respect those who have been at "this" a lot longer than you and who treat others with the respect they deserve.

In our 20's, most of us thought that we knew better than others too, and then we realized later that we didn't know as much as we thought we did.

Piano Teacher

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with Dustin. But I think that using his age against him, just because he mentioned it, is unfair.

Arguing for OR against his points on the merit of the points seems fair to me. The rest is not.

L
L
Here's some gossip, and once said, I won't repeat:

Dustin, In a studio near you I shared with another teacher, my partner was reading The Da Vinci Code and happened to leave her book out where it could be seen. One mother saw it and flew into a rage! My friend meekly put her book away, never to be seen again. Yes, there are those types around, for sure.

Now I can say pretty much what I want to because I have retired from the younger students (people like that parent are partly why), however, I still refrain from expressing my very liberal views on religion because I still work with people who may have me in their church sometime. Maybe not right, but, it's work, and those paying may decide to hold it against one. I have hinted at this, and I will say it again. That area you are in has some of the most viscious people I have ever seen anywhere in my life. Hopefully the current group is growing older and will be phased out. These women even gang up on school children they think should not get what they have earned. Want to know more? PM me sometime.

I do like the way you have your policies set, and I think they will evolve as you gain further experience. It's good to be confident, but it's nice to learn from other teachers, too, don't you think?

I have not checked into these studios on your site, however, I will. Also, know this from someone who has seen it all in this area, the teachers that I mentioned earlier who cannot so much as play a sonatina, have wonderful, outgoing personalities. Unfortunately, this is what draws an unsuspecting public to them, not their abilities. They usually do have great testimonials. Some people can be very misguided when seeking lessons, and have no idea what to look for in a teacher. One of these "teachers" gives out huge piles of material gifts after recitals (in which nothing is played!), getting big smiles all around from happy kids and happy parents. Having seen her students play, I was appalled to see that they didn't even know how to lift a finger up and down from a key. All the fingers pressed at once, and this was a student in a later book. I had to listen to this woman stand up to her students parents, who were rapt as she lectured on Robert Schubert, who, she claimed "was a good one" (whatever that means), and that he was very successful and had lots of money and friends. Well, it doesn't take much to find that this is total crap, and Schubert died penniless and very young, only supported by his close friends. But, she's outgoing, so what does it matter? I truly believe this is robbery by deception. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on those who have testimony from parents/students, only to be careful at what appears to be good because of testimony. I know of two other just like her. One is online and his claim to fame is his testimonies. Same as previously mentioned woman. I know these people quite well, and this man may have taken a few lessons , but he can't play much at all. Looks good with his suit and pointer sticking out of his pocket, though.

Lastly, on the topic of testimony, I also know a number of professors who have told me that they, and all the good, demanding teachers get the complaints. I've had certain mothers (from guess where?) huff off and threaten to boycott me if I didn't keep rescheduling their lessons. They canceled too much, and I refused. One woman who didn't want to use the swap list, but demanded resheduling actually took my swap list and CALLED others on the list to incite them against me. Another mother from this group went to war with me because I insisted that her daughter cut her nails. I know, unbelievable. But, my point is, complaints can be used as a form of vengeance by some, and others may have glowing testimony who don't deserve it. Things are not always what they appear. That's what I've learned from getting older. Try to associate with those who maintain their integrity through honest, hard work.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know if you can raise your rates by 33% or not, but one year I raised mine by 25%. No one quit.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Stanny
I don't know if you can raise your rates by 33% or not, but one year I raised mine by 25%. No one quit.
Whether 25% (or 33%) is too much depends on how low they actually were to start with, I guess. smile

Du holde Kunst...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I think Minnie is implying that (as you said) you are only 24 with no degree and you seem to "value" yourself above all other teachers (ok -- most). That said, I agree with Minnie -- you have a lot to learn over the years when you get to be 45, 55, 65, and you have LIFE under you and you have a degree (maybe) and you have a better sense of business, and you have been teaching longer. Please respect those who have been at "this" a lot longer than you and who treat others with the respect they deserve.

In our 20's, most of us thought that we knew better than others too, and then we realized later that we didn't know as much as we thought we did.

+1

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Um, it's not about how young someone is. Off the top of my head, I can think of one incredible 25-year-old that that is an amazing pianist and can be an unbelievable coach. He's better than most teachers here as both a pianist and teacher, I can almost guarantee that.. And some people here are 40+. So age does NOT matter - what matters is what you actually know and your experiences...... Just saying.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
B
Wow. Just finished reading this thread. Amazing how we let this person drag us down into a "discussion" of churches and the United States (which BTW, if you don't like it here, please leave. I will be happy to buy you a one way ticket! Sorry.....just sick and tired of the syncophant brats who do nothing (including work) but sit around and complain and listen to the national news without getting the facts!). Why not leave this where its lays and move on to more relevant teaching topics!

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
So age does NOT matter - what matters is what you actually know and your experiences...... Just saying.

Surprising as it may seem, I tend to agree. Many people do little with their allocation of years but grow older. I doubt I'm substantially wiser or more competent than I was thirty years ago -- I've just got a whole lot more cynical.

It's all about quality, rather than quantity.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
just remembering that we used to pay $2.75 for lessons when i was a kid.. (i'm not that old really).

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes apple, and I bet rent didn't use to be so high.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M

I wasn't advertising $400 / month for the entire last year. I was doing about $200 / month simply using google adwords. That got me most of my students because my website wasn't listed high at that time. Craigslist brought me some as well. Then within the past 3 months, I've been doing about $400 to push really hard to max out my studio.

This word of mouth you speak of doesn't get you 30 students within a years time during the FIRST year you start teaching. I would find that to be insane if anyone attempted to argue it IS possible. Unless you get lucky and have another teacher send you all their students after they move or they retire.

I had to spend money to get my students. Many of my students travel a big distance to reach me. I had lots of families pass me up because I lived too far away from them.

So , yeah - within a year, advertising between 200 and 400 a month , I have gotten together 30 students within a year.

If anyone could explain to me how spending $400 a month when the advertising costs are quite well paid for with the income of my lessons is a bad idea ...

I don't have a problem with advertising at all..whatever works. But, you've only been teaching for a year?? That statement in bold is what I'm referring to, and perhaps I misunderstand your meaning. I just find it odd, if that's the case, why you are touting experience as being more important than education when it comes to being a good teacher, and yet you have neither?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I think this is a moral question because the OP may feel that he is not worth what he is charging regardless of whether or not he is able to fill his studio at that rate.

There are piano teachers who charge $200 per lesson and are a bargain, and there are piano teachers who charge $20 per hour who are worse than a rip off.

So, to the OP, you have to define what makes a credible piano teacher worthy of what you are charging, and if you are living up to that definition, then you will not be troubled by what you are charging.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission