2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
L
Dustin and Morodiene,

Let me make it clear that the teachers (in Baltimore) that I am talking about are nothing like either of you, or anyone else on PW. These teachers would not have the slightest inclination to do anything like this. Absolutely no comparison was meant at all!

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
L
L
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders
Yes, but what I have to offer is directly connected to what others do not. So if other teachers are awful teachers and should not be teaching, why should one not be able to use that as a reason to choose my studio?

My statements are provocative cause I'm a provocative person - It's my personality. My students like me for my personality and it just so happens I can at least play in books a wee bit past level 2. smile

I do think that teachers who make it a rule to stop their students mid flight are not doing them justice. Sure, do it sometimes, but it's important that the student get's to have fun.

But I admit, it is one sided. I stop my students mid flight as well, but I vary it up. I know some other teacher styles where they stop immediately the student makes a mistake. This is what I was referring too. It makes the student feel tense and they can't relax because they will become very conscious and afraid of trying.

Do you like my teaching philosophy at least? Many parents compliment me on that page and say that's the reason they chose my studio. Not because of other 'provocative' things I may say because I'm 24 and brash. smile

I've had some students who will keep playing no matter what the mistakes, and so each time they play a song it's different. One boy in particular had started doing this at some point and I asked him why he wouldn't try fixing his mistake when he made it and he said he was trying to play it like a performance. I commended him on this as it should be done, but *after* you've worked a piece to the point where you reduce the amount of mistakes. After this conversation, I had to stop him at each mistake so he would listen to his playing and become more aware of how it sounded vs. how it should sound. This took quite some time and I would probably stop him after the first note sometimes.

Was that bad teaching? I don't feel it was, and it was for a specific purpose. But you wouldn't know that if you asked my student, "How did you previous teacher go through your pieces with you?" and he answered about me stopping him all the time to fix mistakes. It's that sort of thing. There are always two sides (at least), and you can certainly address concerns a parent might have while not ragging on the previous teacher.

In my previous town I knew of many of the teachers and I would withhold judgment on those transfers from teachers I didn't know until I saw what the student was doing. Even if it later was proven that the previous teacher didn't really know what they were doing, I would let the student arrive at that conclusion in comparison to what they were learning with me. There ARE charlatans out there, but my qualifications more than speak out against them, and my results do as well.

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It will be the exceptional student (maybe someone with certain limitations, for example), who may turn to another teacher and place blame on the previous teacher.

Of course, it's a good idea to allow students to play through their pieces. There are specific goals that must be achieved, too, and that sometimes means playing in sections, and repeating certain areas in a piece. Students may balk at what they don't have patience for, but that doesn't mean the teacher is wrong.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Dustin, some of what you say is just not adding up for me, nor is it fitting with what you've said in other threads elsewhere on PW.
So I only need about 2500 to live on my own with my own studio , all bills paid for by myself.
("by myself" - haha - Who else would be likely to pay them for you?)

But do you mean $2500 a month? And this includes rent, business expenses, taxation, educational expenses, household expenses, transport, maintenance of your piano??

Du holde Kunst...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I wondered about the tax portion, too. Taxes are a huge part -- somewhere between 15%-25% of income.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by currawong
Dustin, some of what you say is just not adding up for me, nor is it fitting with what you've said in other threads elsewhere on PW.
So I only need about 2500 to live on my own with my own studio , all bills paid for by myself.
("by myself" - haha - Who else would be likely to pay them for you?)

But do you mean $2500 a month? And this includes rent, business expenses, taxation, educational expenses, household expenses, transport, maintenance of your piano??

$2,500 a month, yes. And why would it be so funny that I included the 'by myself' part? Some people have significant others that help pay the bills. Or they might have inherited a lot of money that helps them. Or if they are young like me, one of their parents could be continuing to agree to pay part of some bills. I know a few people my age that still have their parents helping them.

Also, in regards to the other comments, it is a different story when you make the agreement ahead of time to stop the student at every pause / wrong note / wrong rhythm / wrong styling, etc. If THAT is the case, then the student is prepared for it and if the teacher / student relationship is comfortable , then it shouldn't be any problem.

I suppose what I am referring to are the teachers who do this beginner students and don't make it a point to explain what they are doing or who ALSO don't let the student simply play and enjoy themselves once in a while.

I see how my comment can be confused as bashing more teachers than I originally wanted. I'll think to revise it. Thanks for the comments.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I wondered about the tax portion, too. Taxes are a huge part -- somewhere between 15%-25% of income.

Oh, so it's only ok for churches and big dog corporations and millionaires to evade taxes? laugh

Anyway, 20% tax of 5,000 is 1,000. 5,000 - 1,000 is 4,000. 4,000 - 2,500 is 1,500. 1,500 profit before I raise my rates and before I add an additional 5 hours of students into my open slots.

I don't know about others, but I am comfortable with that when other people are losing their houses and becoming homeless in this economy.

L
L
Very mature of you.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by LeaC
Very mature of you.

Wait a second, is this sarcasm or sincerity? My detector is in in the 'confused' zone!

L
L
Sincere! I can see where you might wonder as I can be that way at times.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Oh, so it's only ok for churches and big dog corporations and millionaires to evade taxes? laugh

Churches do not "evade taxes". The tax law is written so they are not taxed. They are following the tax law as written.

Last edited by rocket88; 10/31/11 12:20 AM. Reason: clarity

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Anyway, why don't you take a look at the front page of the MSMTA web site and read their code of ethics. It is wise, I think, to remain within that code, whether or not you are in the group.

Dustin was referring to my previous post (in another thread) that certain teachers--even ones in my MTA--who keep their rates so low, that it's impossible for other piano teachers in the area from attaining full studios. These teachers "hog up" all the students and have waiting lists longer than the Great Wall of China. What's worse? These teachers are long past retirement age--they are older than my grandparents!! And piano teachers live forever, you know? They just keep teaching until they drop dead in their studio one day.

So, what can I say about these teachers? Nothing. If I complain to MTAC heads of state, they'll just brush it off. What really bothers me is that these teachers also let their students take our state test, CM. You can just imagine how poorly their students do. But what I don't understand is how they manage to KEEP so many freakin' students, despite such poor performances!?

Meanwhile, responsible teachers are losing students left and right. This makes no sense.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
L
It's amazing how LOW the expectation level is of many (maybe most) parents regarding their child's music instruction.

Now there are plenty of exceptions to the statements I am about to make, but I've learned from many years of teaching that...

• Many (most) parents, deep down, really don't believe that their child is going to succeed at the piano. This is confirmed by their sincere expressions of shock when the child actually begins to. And this is because that, on the whole, most children don't.

• Many (most) parents have no concept of the training and experience that goes into becoming a really great teacher. It always cracks me up when parents say something to me in the middle of a lesson like, "Wow, you really do know a lot about music." And they are completely genuine about it! Or, when I sit down to the keyboard to demonstrate a little bit myself and they are so impressed! Almost like they are surprised that their child's piano teacher can actually play the instrument. And this is because there are many who practically can't.

I've come to accept that what I do and the professionalism that I bring to it will always be something that is valued by a minority of the population. When I lived in a small suburb outside of a small midwestern city with a failing economy, this was a problem. I had to keep rates fairly low and take whatever I could get.

Here in Chicago, the situation is a bit different. Out of a city of 2.9 million people and a metropolitan area of nearly 10 million, I need to find forty or fifty families who really get what I'm about as a teacher, who appreciate what I have to offer, and are willing to pay accordingly for it. Those are the kind of students I want. It takes a while for you to find each other, but it is much better in the long run.

Now, back to the topic of the original post, I think one of the biggest mistakes that new teachers make starting out is to price themselves too low. Once you enter the market at a certain rate, you are limited to incremental increases unless you want to pretty much start over. Families who had grown accustomed to paying $45 for your services are not going to be happy about now having to pay $60 an hour, even if it turns out they were getting a deal before and are now paying you more appropriately.

It takes more time to build up a studio in the beginning if your rate is on the higher side, but you will attract a more dedicated calibre of student. You will also be in a position to offer partial scholarships to those students who value your services but can legitimately not afford them. Also, if you command a higher rate, you will not feel as obligated to fill every waking hour of your schedule with students to get by, and are therefore more likely to greet each teaching day with patience, nurturing, and a smile on your face. You and your students both benefit.

Memorizing note names is boring…
Apps are cool!
www.FlashnoteDerbyApp.com
Now available for Android as well as iOS devices.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by rocket88

Churches do not "evade taxes". The tax law is written so they are not taxed. They are following the tax law as written.

Ok, so private jets and multi million dollar homes that are untaxed from the filthy rich mega church Pastors is quite moral.

Or is simply breaking the law immoral and anything you do outside of that is moral?

Also, using my tax money for many things that are quite absurd such as the United States desperate need to police the world and go on trillion dollar wars might make some people not feel their tax money is being used properly.

Not really important anyway, I don't want to go on a rant about this lol - But There are many things in the US lawbooks that I would consider to be immoral.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Anyway, why don't you take a look at the front page of the MSMTA web site and read their code of ethics. It is wise, I think, to remain within that code, whether or not you are in the group.

Dustin was referring to my previous post (in another thread) that certain teachers--even ones in my MTA--who keep their rates so low, that it's impossible for other piano teachers in the area from attaining full studios. These teachers "hog up" all the students and have waiting lists longer than the Great Wall of China. What's worse? These teachers are long past retirement age--they are older than my grandparents!! And piano teachers live forever, you know? They just keep teaching until they drop dead in their studio one day.

So, what can I say about these teachers? Nothing. If I complain to MTAC heads of state, they'll just brush it off. What really bothers me is that these teachers also let their students take our state test, CM. You can just imagine how poorly their students do. But what I don't understand is how they manage to KEEP so many freakin' students, despite such poor performances!?

Meanwhile, responsible teachers are losing students left and right. This makes no sense.

Do you have concrete numbers? Are the teachers still charging what they were charging from the 1950's? Or is it only a 10$ an hour difference?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Ok, so private jets and multi million dollar homes that are untaxed from the filthy rich mega church Pastors is quite moral.

We are not talking about morality...you began this with an allegation that churches "evade" taxes. They do not, so your point is based on a legal issue, not a moral one. Don't mix terms.

But I agree with you...filthy rich pastors are odious, and in my view, immoral.

But what you need to know is that they are abberations, a tiny minority of church people, and an embarrassment indeed to the majority of churches and pastors who are anything but rich.

Why would you use them as your example, rather than the majority who are not rich, do not have private jets or multi million dollar homes?

I was the church pianist for a while in a small church, and the pastor worked a full-time job in a hardware store. I never got a chance to see his jet plane! laugh

BTW, the same not-for-profit tax-exempt laws that religious organizations operate under also apply to many other organizations, such as Symphonies and music colleges.

Not really important anyway, I don't want to go on a rant about this lol - But There are many things in the US lawbooks that I would consider to be immoral.

I certainly agree with you there!

Last edited by rocket88; 10/31/11 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity

P
P
I have been holding my tongue on this topic but I can't seem to do that anymore. I own a music school and I must say ... I didn't even KNOW that you could have comments put up on the "place page" on Google until today. "Google Status" does not a studio make! With that said, we have NO comments (either positive or negative) about our school on that page. Does that make ME or my teachers "bad" teachers? No -- maybe it means that I don't "ask" my parents to go to that site and comment.... maybe it means that my parents are too busy to "worry" about commenting on that site. To make a "blanket" statement about the ability/personality/etc about a teacher/school based on "comments" alone, is a bit bold.

I have been teaching for 30+ years and I have never "advertised" until a few years ago -- only to see what would happen. When you are good, it doesn't take long for word of mouth to fill up your studio. I had a full studio when I decided to advertise so it really "was" just to see what would happen. What happened? I had to find more time. Then a bigger space. Then hired teachers ... because I was/am good and my personality is calming and vivacious (yes -- it can be both). I do NOT spend $400 per month on advertising. That (in my opinion) is insane!

My own children are your age and they have discovered that they they will earn more money without being "brash" and "provocative". They are loved by their students because they are demanding but gentle. That is the way it is with ALL my teachers. My teachers have upper level degrees but that DOES NOT MEAN that they are not good with children, etc. All of our teachers have degrees and are still learning because we can never learn it all. They still study with others, they still have round-table discussions.

I would just ask you to be careful in your remarks. You ARE only 24 and you have no degree. Yes, real life experience counts for something but please know that there are MANY on here and "out there" who have much more life experience and more knowledge and more business sense and more training and more time on their side, than you. Please ... be careful about making general statements that can not be proven.

Personally -- if I was in need of a teacher, I would not be going to someone who was "bashing" others on their website. Let your own abilities speak for themselves. Maybe I am a fuddy-duddy, and old-fashioned, but where is the respect for others? I make sure my teachers respect the student and family and I expect my teachers to NEVER bash another teacher. There is NO need for that. (with or without knowing names of teachers)

I agree with many other posters here -- don't disrespect another teacher (no matter how bad you think they are) because you don't know the underlying circumstances and situations.

Ok -- I am done here -- I know I might be banned for some of my remarks and if so... so be it... but I do implore you to be respectful of others -- either in person or on your website -- it will go a LONG way later in life.

To answer your original question -- when you raise your rates more than the market can bear, you will price yourself OUT of a job. Don't worry about the money end so much. If you teach because you love it, then it will show and you will have a full studio and you won't be "worried" so much about raising your rates. You can "expect" to have a waiting list, but be advised, that some on a waiting list don't STAY on a waiting list -- they go elsewhere. Just chill and keep your prices acceptable for your experience, ability and knowledge.

Piano Teacher

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Do you have concrete numbers? Are the teachers still charging what they were charging from the 1950's? Or is it only a 10$ an hour difference?

I have no idea when these teachers started teaching, but I can tell you the difference between their fees and my fee is anywhere between $15 and $40 per hour. I have had several students transferring from these teachers, and it's obvious to me which ones are solid teachers who just have no business sense and which ones are the charlatans.

I didn't include two music schools several miles away in two different cities. They keep their fees low because of the local demographics. One of these institutions is run by a very capable piano teacher--it's not every day that you get to hear piano students play popular music well. I'm just glad they found their niche and can serve their student populations.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by pianomommy1
I have been holding my tongue on this topic but I can't seem to do that anymore. I own a music school and I must say ... I didn't even KNOW that you could have comments put up on the "place page" on Google until today. "Google Status" does not a studio make! With that said, we have NO comments (either positive or negative) about our school on that page. Does that make ME or my teachers "bad" teachers? No -- maybe it means that I don't "ask" my parents to go to that site and comment.... maybe it means that my parents are too busy to "worry" about commenting on that site. To make a "blanket" statement about the ability/personality/etc about a teacher/school based on "comments" alone, is a bit bold.

I have been teaching for 30+ years and I have never "advertised" until a few years ago -- only to see what would happen. When you are good, it doesn't take long for word of mouth to fill up your studio. I had a full studio when I decided to advertise so it really "was" just to see what would happen. What happened? I had to find more time. Then a bigger space. Then hired teachers ... because I was/am good and my personality is calming and vivacious (yes -- it can be both). I do NOT spend $400 per month on advertising. That (in my opinion) is insane!

My own children are your age and they have discovered that they they will earn more money without being "brash" and "provocative". They are loved by their students because they are demanding but gentle. That is the way it is with ALL my teachers. My teachers have upper level degrees but that DOES NOT MEAN that they are not good with children, etc. All of our teachers have degrees and are still learning because we can never learn it all. They still study with others, they still have round-table discussions.

I would just ask you to be careful in your remarks. You ARE only 24 and you have no degree. Yes, real life experience counts for something but please know that there are MANY on here and "out there" who have much more life experience and more knowledge and more business sense and more training and more time on their side, than you. Please ... be careful about making general statements that can not be proven.

Personally -- if I was in need of a teacher, I would not be going to someone who was "bashing" others on their website. Let your own abilities speak for themselves. Maybe I am a fuddy-duddy, and old-fashioned, but where is the respect for others? I make sure my teachers respect the student and family and I expect my teachers to NEVER bash another teacher. There is NO need for that. (with or without knowing names of teachers)

I agree with many other posters here -- don't disrespect another teacher (no matter how bad you think they are) because you don't know the underlying circumstances and situations.

Ok -- I am done here -- I know I might be banned for some of my remarks and if so... so be it... but I do implore you to be respectful of others -- either in person or on your website -- it will go a LONG way later in life.

To answer your original question -- when you raise your rates more than the market can bear, you will price yourself OUT of a job. Don't worry about the money end so much. If you teach because you love it, then it will show and you will have a full studio and you won't be "worried" so much about raising your rates. You can "expect" to have a waiting list, but be advised, that some on a waiting list don't STAY on a waiting list -- they go elsewhere. Just chill and keep your prices acceptable for your experience, ability and knowledge.

You're definitely not going to get banned for your comments. I take no offense to them.

Click through rate for google places listing is much much higher when you are listed number ESPECIALLY if you have the 5 star rating next to you with positive reviews.

Now, the thing about advertising in my area. I live in the middle of nowhere. It takes me more than 10 minutes to get to anything you could call 'civilization' - gas pump, grocery store, a restaurant.

I wasn't advertising $400 / month for the entire last year. I was doing about $200 / month simply using google adwords. That got me most of my students because my website wasn't listed high at that time. Craigslist brought me some as well. Then within the past 3 months, I've been doing about $400 to push really hard to max out my studio.

This word of mouth you speak of doesn't get you 30 students within a years time during the FIRST year you start teaching. I would find that to be insane if anyone attempted to argue it IS possible. Unless you get lucky and have another teacher send you all their students after they move or they retire.

I had to spend money to get my students. Many of my students travel a big distance to reach me. I had lots of families pass me up because I lived too far away from them.

So , yeah - within a year, advertising between 200 and 400 a month , I have gotten together 30 students within a year.

If anyone could explain to me how spending $400 a month when the advertising costs are quite well paid for with the income of my lessons is a bad idea ...

As for my 'bashing' of other teachers, I have heard horror stories about the two sites I do list on my website as having none or negative reviews. I also listed another studio that I think has exceptional reviews and said I would recommend that studio because of the happy clients.

Last edited by Dustin Sanders; 10/31/11 02:26 PM.
D
OP Offline
D

We are not talking about morality...you began this with an allegation that churches "evade" taxes. They do not, so your point is based on a legal issue, not a moral one. Don't mix terms.

But I agree with you...filthy rich pastors are odious, and in my view, immoral.

But what you need to know is that they are abberations, a tiny minority of church people, and an embarrassment indeed to the majority of churches and pastors who are anything but rich.

Why would you use them as your example, rather than the majority who are not rich, do not have private jets or multi million dollar homes?

I was the church pianist for a while in a small church, and the pastor worked a full-time job in a hardware store. I never got a chance to see his jet plane! laugh

BTW, the same not-for-profit tax-exempt laws that religious organizations operate under also apply to many other organizations, such as Symphonies and music colleges.

I certainly agree with you there!

When I see the mega churches and million dollar private jets publically frowned upon by the majority of other churches and pastors or Christians - instead of them preaching hate towards homosexuals and atheists, then I might agree with your point.

I was also under the impression that many small churches have to give a portion of their rakings to their parent churches and organizations who are all part of the entire chain of command - which eventually leads to the megachurches and high profile church leaders who are making quite a lot of money.

I also admit you are correct about the term 'evade' as being the wrong choice.

errrr, and the music colleges and symphonies do not lay guilt trips on their members or hint that you may not be a proper member if you do not donate 10% of your income. An argument could also be made that they actually teach things that are beneficial to society, rather than a church for instance where it isn't an academic institution, but a place for a few to tell the many what they believe is the true interpretation of ONE book, but without actually teaching the mainstream textual criticism of the majority of new testament scholars. So churches are not there to teach, but to preach. I think that's a notable difference.

Symphonies and music schools also do not discriminate based off sexual orientation or belief system.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

When I see the mega churches and million dollar private jets publically frowned upon by the majority of other churches and pastors or Christians...

That information exists, but you would have to study the issue to find out that information, because it is not controversial or sensational, and thus the media will not broadcast it.

I was also under the impression that many small churches have to give a portion of their rakings...

Rakings? Nice.

Bye, Dustin...have a nice day!

ps...Do you realize that now all the religious people in your area who google your name for piano lessons will potentially see this thread and read your thoughts about the church. (not just the Christian church...other faiths also collect "rakings")

Is insulting large portions of the population a component of your business plan?

Last edited by rocket88; 10/31/11 03:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission