2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is my first report. From now on I plan to check in periodically to keep up. I'll have a lot more time - and energy to devote to practicing. I had a great day today - about all day playing: Moment Musicale, Schubert; Waltz in C#m, Chopin; Maple Leaf and Heliotrope Bouquet, played through some other stuff; FM - steely dan. 2.5 hour band practice - 8 songs - for a 12-17 show.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Prokofiev Sonata no.2 Mvts 1,2,4, Bach Toccata in G major, Chopin Op.12. Good day for me! smile

1942 Baldwin M
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Op.118 no.6! And some work on some kapustin stuff...and sneaked in some Rachmaninoff. OSK, you're doing his 1st sonata? I'd kill to hear you live!

Are you doing 118 6? Yayyyyyy, me too!

I think it's the perfect ending of the opus... so dark and almost removed from the other ones. I so so so love it, especially that minor 10th near the end.. (so glad I can reach it, barely) It's such a genius work! Are you playing the whole opus?

It's my favourite part of the opus...the only ones which I haven't really warmed up to yet are numbers 1 and 4. I dunno if I'll try to take on the whole set, but we'll see. I'd like to do nos 2 and 5 as well but I don't know how I'll approach them...there are so many difficulties in voicing and phrasing that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Brahms is really difficult!

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 10/30/11 11:03 AM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Op.118 no.6! And some work on some kapustin stuff...and sneaked in some Rachmaninoff. OSK, you're doing his 1st sonata? I'd kill to hear you live!

Are you doing 118 6? Yayyyyyy, me too!

I think it's the perfect ending of the opus... so dark and almost removed from the other ones. I so so so love it, especially that minor 10th near the end.. (so glad I can reach it, barely) It's such a genius work! Are you playing the whole opus?

It's my favourite part of the opus...the only ones which I haven't really warmed up to yet are numbers 1 and 4. I dunno if I'll try to take on the whole set, but we'll see. I'd like to do nos 2 and 5 as well but I don't know how I'll approach them...there are so many difficulties in voicing and phrasing that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Brahms is really difficult!

Really, I love 1 and 4! 4 is really, really cool. How about 3, do you like that one? The set is difficult.. it feels like a sonata, really!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

I'm having some trouble with the part where you have to play all the keys at once. laugh

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I practiced SINGING. laugh

L
L
Not much! I'm moving and have a lot of family stuff going on.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So far: just those triplets in Op. 53. Over and over trying to get my hand strength up - first RH, then when it gets tired, LH and RH, LH. The together. Whew.

Edit: and this afternoon, the first 5 pages - listening hard, playing with eyes closed, trying to refine the pedaling and make every note even. My brain is tired.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Practiced for a recital that I played today. For the first time ever in practice I played a C major chord where I should have played a F major chord. And guess what? I did the same thing in performance! GRRRR!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What piece was that in?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
T
T
Herz nocturnes for 2 hours today.

Pleasant works that are easy on the ear and fingers.

Thal

I'm inclined to agree with Thal
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Had a lazy day today and didn't practice laugh . Oh well, tomorrow and the rest of the week is going to be insane..

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
M
M
Funerailles and the second movement of Brahms' C major sonata, because I heard a recital Friday night that included performances of both (the latter as an encore) and decided to revisit them.

The Brahms I hadn't played or heard in so long I couldn't remember what it was, so I had to ask the pianist (Peter Toth of Hungary, performing in Carmel, California) what it was. Nonetheless, it came along pretty nicely when I played it through a few times. Funerailles too; it's not too bad technically, except for about 30 seconds there. wink

Speaking of Peter Toth's recital, he also played the Haydn B minor sonata, Hob. XV:132; the Schubert A minor sonata, D. 537; What the West Wind Saw; No. 12 from both Op. 10 and 25 of Chopin; the Scriabin D# minor etude; and Mazeppa and Widmung by Liszt (with an assist from Schumann on the latter, of course). The whole recital was quite good, but he seemed more at home with the post-classical-era pieces.

And yes, his octaves in Funerailles were, um, noticeably better than mine!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What piece was that in?

A Mozart sonata (k. 376 for violin and piano). You know, one of those places where anyone, including non-musicians would have noticed something was wrong... C chord in the bass, F in the RH, a fermata, and forte. I quickly switched to the F major chord once I knew what I did, but the damage was done already.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MathGuy
Funerailles and the second movement of Brahms' C major sonata, because I heard a recital Friday night that included performances of both (the latter as an encore) and decided to revisit them.

Just watched Argerich's octaves - she really is unbelievable with her speed on those. (see 6:55 here - Argerich Funerailles ) One tip I heard in class the other day for playing fast octaves is to think of them moving horizontally instead of thinking "down, down, down" for each of the notes.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Last page of the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 81 A and read through the first page of the third movement

Read two pages of Lecuona's Danza de los Nanigos

Sped up Islamey

Started reading through Mephisto Waltz again

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
...and Widmung by Liszt (with an assist from Schumann on the latter, of course).
I'd be much more inclined to say by Schumann with assistance from Liszt.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
...and Widmung by Liszt (with an assist from Schumann on the latter, of course).

I'd be even strongly inclined to say so... laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
Originally Posted by Arghhh

Just watched Argerich's octaves - she really is unbelievable with her speed on those. (see 6:55 here - Argerich Funerailles ) One tip I heard in class the other day for playing fast octaves is to think of them moving horizontally instead of thinking "down, down, down" for each of the notes.

Those are pretty darn fast! At the last stage, where it's in D major, you can she misses a few, but since you can barely tell by listening it's probably not all that important.

I definitely agree with thinking of the overall movement as horizontal; you just have to get those vertical oscillations timed correctly along the way.

M
M
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Originally Posted by currawong

I'd be even strongly inclined to say so... laugh

OK, the last piece on the program was Schumann's Widmung, transcribed by Liszt. Curiously, the program didn't even mention Schumann's name in connection with it!

Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission