2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by Morodiene

And to tlt: I call them modes but I see how that could be confusing.

smile

How about 'flavours'?

I was trying to say something about music theory the other day without using the adjectives 'major' or 'dominant' and I got completely tongue-tied.

Knowing some of my students, they'd start calling natural "banana" and harmonic "blueberry" or something laugh. But whatever works!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I still don't know what to think about the idea of things being based on the C scale. It happens that on the piano the C scale reflects major scales in a way that no black keys have to be used so it's a good reference point.

The major scale has a particular set of intervals. I'll use "H" for half step,and "W" for whole step. So you have:
C(W)D(W)E(H)F(W)G(W)A(W)B(H)C
The piano plus C scale give us a handy reference point if we forget what the halfs and the wholes are, because it becomes visible. But that series is the same for any major scale.

A chord which is formed from the notes of this major scale and does not contain notes not in that scale (diatonic chords) will end up being defined by where the whole steps and half steps fall.

I CEG - you hear and see a major chord
ii DFA - you hear a minor chord
etc.
Therefore you get the series of chords I ii iii IV V vi viio (diminished)

Our notation system is nicely designed to fit with major scales. If you want G major, and stick a sharp in the key signature so that every F is F#, you will end up with the right intervals. If you stick in another sharp on C as C# and start on D, then the intervals are perfect for D major. It's just how it works.

The major chord was originally one of a bunch of modes. The other mode we borrowed from that time was the Aeoliean, which corresponds to the natural minor. If you take that C scale and start a third lower going from A to A, you get this mode.

A(W)B(H)C(W)D(W)E(H)F(W)G(W)A

This one also works nicely with key signatures. It's like you are playing C major, but starting two notes lower. That is why these pairs have the same key signature: C major & A minor; G major & E minor; F major & D minor etc. Each minor key starts 3 notes down, a minor third below.

You will notice that in C major, there is a half step from B to C. B is known as the "leading note" because it leads into the tonic (C). But in A minor, G to A is a whole tone, and this doesn't provide the same movement. You also don't get a dominant chord (seven chord) which also leads into the tonic. So the "harmonic minor" takes care of that. We raise the G to G# and voila - we have a leading note. The reason we have to do that is because we are borrowing a key signature that is best suited for the relative major. There is no G# in the key signature of C major (relative of A minor) so we have to add an accidental. So now we have:

A(W)B(H)C(W)D(W)E(H)F(3 half tones)G#(H)A

Your V7 chord is EG#BD ... the G# is in there and you're all set.

Other times it is handier to have the melody be natural minor, and other times you want the leading note, but the awkward leap from F to G# sounds out of place so you sharp the F# as well. This is also done for the sake of some chord progressions. Then you have what we learn is the "melodic minor"

A(W)B(H)C(W)D(W)E(W)F#(W)G#(W)A

In all three "minor" scales, your tonic chord is minor, and that alone gives it a minor kind of feel to it.

Somebody pointed out that the minor scale is a kind of chameleon that keeps changing its shape, that there "isn't" really such a thing as the minor scale types we learn, and the only real thing is that beginning.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by 6070sMusic

* And if I hear cheap jokes about "Mixed-Up-A-Lot-Ian" modes I will be sorely vexed. LOL!

This is getting borian.

OP Offline
keystring,

Well thought out, and concisely phrased; thank you.

====

ten left thumbs,

You're right, we're getting "borian" so we'll put paid to this topic, and move along. ;-)

====

Again, thanks to all for comments / replies.

--Pat

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by joeb84
whoever came up with the major/minor names is stupid. i mean they couldn't think of something better.

How about ionian and aeolian? Is that better? laugh

yes. whome all this music theory is boring me as well. i just wanna make music. is that so hard? oh yea it is kinda grin

Last edited by joeb84; 10/30/11 08:30 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission