2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I found a buyer for my K, which I love but after playing AG, am just ready for chance to have grand action in my space which isn't big enough for a real grand although I could fit an N3. I'm pretty set of N2 although I'm ready for someone to sell me on an N3.

I also would like some advise as to offers I make to dealers. One dealer gave me prices of $9,788 for N2, $13,588 for N3 and a floor demo of N2 for $8900. Since the depreciation for this piano will be large I don't want to pay too much. Does anyone think I can walk in to same dealer with a wad of cash and say will you take this? (say $8000 <or less> for a new one?)

Also, any info to updates coming soon would also be most appreciated since it's been out since 2009. It's too bad they don't create an open architecture for the sound, since the action is old school doesn't have the same curve for updates.

Thanks for any advise I can be given.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you're just interested in the grand piano action, the N1 would be even more attractive financially though the N3 would look nicer in your living room.

I made the plunge 13 or 14 years ago when I played a GranTouch on a theater job. I traded in my Yamaha C3 within a few months and bought the GT1.

The price you were given for the N3 is very attractive.

Of course the purchase will depreciate though on the other hand the same can be said for the purchase of an acoustic grand. The treat for me - every day I have a grand piano action with a grand piano sound that is perfectly in tune.

Everything in life is a trade off. For me, the trade offs work in my favor ... other folks have other priorities.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
That's about what I paid for my N2 a month ago.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
If you're just interested in the grand piano action, the N1 would be even more attractive financially though the N3 would look nicer in your living room.

I tried N1 and it's nice but it's not just the action but the whole live experience which I got more from the N2 and N3. My main question is the N3 worth the extra money and extra space it will take up in my space? I know the specifications of each model inside out. I'm now looking for something intangible from anyone that owns either and what decision steered them to their final purchase.

K
K
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

I tried N1 and it's nice but it's not just the action but the whole live experience which I got more from the N2 and N3. My main question is the N3 worth the extra money and extra space it will take up in my space? I know the specifications of each model inside out. I'm now looking for something intangible from anyone that owns either and what decision steered them to their final purchase.

I'd get the N3, mostly because the sound is not bouncing directly at the player. The N2 treble can be ear piercing as it flashes off the lid and hits your right ear. I wonder if the sampling of the AvantGrand was tailored more to the N3 than the N1 and N2.

EsseBrace has talked about an effect in the N3 of sound building by virtue of the resonator so that one can generate a sound through successive blows of the same chord that is more substantial than what could be generated by one blow. I've not explored this effect.

Aesthetically, the N3 looks better to me.

And, finally, in for a penny, in for a pound. I got the N2 because I had a grand already and thought I'd be using the Avant mostly through headphones.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
What the helpful dealer asked me was this pair of questions:

"If you buy the N1 now, in six months are you likely to regret not spending the extra money for the N2?"

My answer was "yes."

Then, "If you buy the N2 now, in six months are likely to regret not spending the extra money for the N3?"

My answer was "no."

YMMV, of course, and that's not a knock on either the N1 or the N3 -- just proof of a sort that the N2 was what I was looking for.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Good luck with your choice, let us know how you get on with the N2.

I think based on features vs price I would take N1 over N2 - well, possibly anyway. That said, when I first arrived at the shop where I bought my N3 the dealer demo'd the N2 first and it sounded breathtaking from across the room.

As kippesc points out I think the soundboard resonator on the N3 is overlooked. There is a behaviour present on the N3 that I don't think could be exploited on N2 or N1. It works for me anyway and I do find the N3 very handsome looking, with a unique balance struck between traditional and modern. N2 needs the silly top lid to be open and that somewhat compromises the cleanliness of the look to my eyes.

Best wishes,

Steve

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
N2 needs the silly top lid to be open and that somewhat compromises the cleanliness of the look to my eyes.

Yeah, but where else are you going to hide the letters of transit?

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
N2 needs the silly top lid to be open and that somewhat compromises the cleanliness of the look to my eyes.

I was thinking about that lid, which in some ways is like lid on a grand. When I owned a not so great grand I used to keep lid closed most of the time. On these pianos you have to keep them up.

My other thought is the lid on the N2 projects the sound towards the player. Does the N2 have 6 speakers in that area (L/R/Middle?) Does anyone play their instruments with the lid closed?

This is going to take a while cause the person buying my piano lives many states away from me.

I've played these instruments 3 times now and have enjoyed the experience more each time. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I personally like having space if front of me. When I play an upright I feel like the piano is right on top of me (which it is of course). Both the N1 and N3 are open in that respect.

While I can't back up the following statement, I would imagine the N3 would be easier to sell when the time comes and would also be more attractive to the dealer if trading in or trading up.

Having said that, you can almost buy two N1's for the price of the N3. Since I practice with headphones I could be happy with any of the models ... and if money were an issue, the N1 would be my choice.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission