2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monaco
I'm a beginner and it takes me less than 2 hours to tune,

"No bad cats. There are cooks who do not know how cook it's". Chinese folk wisdom

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Originally Posted by Dan Casdorph
How long does it take you to tune a piano

Dan,If the piano is in good technical condition ( tight pin- pin's hole- pinblock ) then I shall tuning more than 5 hours, new 7-9 h

It took me about 4 mins to tune a single 3 string unison with the plucking method. Times 88 that's about the time you mention, taking into accounts not all notes have 3 strings but you also have to set a temperament.

Using either a muting strip or rubber dampers you can cut this time down to 1-2 hrs.

How do you set the temperament (make sure all intervals are equal)?

Kees

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kees,

You can see in the videos that Max's "temperament" (if one can call it that?!) is based on 4ths, 5ths and octaves, using major triads as auxiliary notes (marked in red below).

e.g.
A4 --> E4 (playing C#4,E4,A4)
A4 --> D5 (playing F#4,A4,D5)
D5 --> D4 (octave, or playing D major)
D4 --> G4 (playing B3,D4,G4)

etc. etc.

My problem in calling this a "temperament" is that these auxiliary notes are not even tuned yet! Given this, I'm surprised at some of the results he does get.

Monaco,

Not that I'm keen on "fast and furious", but do you perhaps have a recording of one of your tunings that you did in less than two hours? I'm a beginner too, and although I might manage a pitch raise in less than two hours, a fine tuning definitely takes me longer.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
D
D
The reason I asked about time is because there was once a beginning tuner here who I saw doing a floor tuning in a store. I stood back and watched/listened for a few minutes and I found his methods curious.

He played the key and used mutes to tune using a traditional tuning lever. However, he did not play while he was tuning the string.He tuned silently. He would work his tuning lever, then play the note and listen. If the note/unison was off, he would either raise or lower the string silently, then play the note. He would then decide whether to raise or lower the pitch depending on whether the beats were getting better or worse.

I watched for about 10 minutes in total confusion as he struggled to tune a couple of unisons in the treble.

He never was able to get his tuning time under 4-5 hours and he quit tuning.

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Kees,

You can see in the videos that Max's "temperament" (if one can call it that?!) is based on 4ths, 5ths and octaves, using major triads as auxiliary notes (marked in red below).

e.g.
A4 --> E4 (playing C#4,E4,A4)
A4 --> D5 (playing F#4,A4,D5)
D5 --> D4 (octave, or playing D major)
D4 --> G4 (playing B3,D4,G4)

Dear Mark I did not set to show in your videos are absolutely accurate (final) fixation of sounds. Customers shoot me in the process of temperament. With regard to major triads you just said. This is just search sound one of my original methods . Now I shall looking for a broken piano to the online mode to configure it for an extended period of time

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Originally Posted by Dan Casdorph
How long does it take you to tune a piano

Dan,If the piano is in good technical condition ( tight pin- pin's hole- pinblock ) then I shall tuning more than 5 hours, new 7-9 h
you can cut this time down to 1-2 hrs.How do you set the temperament (make sure all intervals are equal)?Kees

Thanks Kees,but I think the rush is not necessary, to avoid errors and the quality was not affected

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is not necessarily the case that taking more time results in better tuning. Usually those who take longer get the worst results.

For concerts, I often have only one hour to tune the piano. That includes replacing strings I might break. If I run over, the audience has to wait until I finish. Most of the time, the piano is fairly well in tune beforehand, but I never can tell how the weather has affected the piano until I start tuning.

Semipro Tech
I can 'chip' a piano in around 50/55 mins, which can then be fine tuned in around 30 mins, give or take.

It takes practise, however. I hope I can improve on the above time, just for kicks.

Kees, you'll be able to improve your time quite easily by practising.

I don't intend to craft a career from chipping, but it is a fairly efficient way of raising/levelling pitch.

Piano Technician
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB

For concerts, I often have only one hour to tune the piano. That includes replacing strings I might break.

One hour is quite standard for a concert tuning.

How old are these concert pianos that are breaking strings?

Or are you an unusually heavy handed tuner?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

M
M
Mark,
Do you use an ETD?

B
BDB Offline
B
The newest piano is 5 years old. I am not the only one who breaks strings on it. That is about par for heavily used concert pianos.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
Originally Posted by BDB

For concerts, I often have only one hour to tune the piano. That includes replacing strings I might break.

an unusually heavy handed tuner?

I am HARD tuner

M
M
Does tuning with a plectrum provide enough inertia to the string to allow it to equalize over it's pressure points? I doubt it. Unless you pluck the HECK out of it, then maybe.

What makes one a heavy handed tuner? The strength of his blows or the amount that one raises pitch above the desired frequency? Is it at all likely that you could brake a string by smacking the key? My initial thought is that if there is such a thing as a heavy handed tuner it must be the latter.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monaco
if there is such a thing as a heavy handed tuner it must be the latter.

Hard fixation of pin as soon as possible, without re-return. But in practice I can not boast that it is happening at once and not have to go back to adjust the sound

B
BDB Offline
B
Well, I do not know about braking a string by smacking the key, but I certainly can break a string that way. I am pleased that in my career, I have broken a lot more strings than the artists have.

Semipro Tech
M
M
And these strings broke while sounding the note or turning the pin?

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
The newest piano is 5 years old. I am not the only one who breaks strings on it. That is about par for heavily used concert pianos.

Do you keep a supply of the wrapped bass strings? Or is it mostly the plain wire ones that break?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B
BDB Offline
B
It is mostly the plain wire strings in the top section that break. Universal strings are not long enough for more than 7' grands, so I am glad that they do not break so often.

They break when I am sounding the note, always at the capo bar. That is where the fatigue is.

Semipro Tech
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
Well, I do not know about braking a string by smacking the key, but I certainly can break a string that way. I am pleased that in my career, I have broken a lot more strings than the artists have.

I am entertaining the distinct possibility that you are kidding us.

You have given us so many intelligent insights, I find it hard to believe that you would fall into this trap.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
B
It is better to break a string before the show than to have it break in the middle of the show.

Semipro Tech
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission