2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ClavBoy
Hi,

as the magazine is not available in the stores here in Germany, I've seen they offer an iPad edition.
Has any one tried this? Is it the same content as the printed issue?
There is one issue included in the prize of the app, which one would you recommend for a beginner like me?

I haven't tried the app version (they hinted that they were looking to make that available for free to magazine subscribers but we'll see). The current issue (62) would be as good as any.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
C
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Andy, it sounds like the purchase via Amazon is more directly linked the company. I mean it does not go through some hidden intermediary. I think I will buy it next time via Amazon.

I purchased the magazine through the company's website. so I thought I was buying "directly" from them but it appears that I was buying from their US distributer. I contacted the company through the company's website. They contacted their USA subscriptions company ExpressMag for my order. I received an e-mail message form ExpressMag this morning that I will receive the magazine within a week. What bothers me is that the lack of transparency. At least in Amazon, you can track the status of your order. I am not sure if I received anything if I did not contact the compoany.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Andy, it sounds like the purchase via Amazon is more directly linked the company. I mean it does not go through some hidden intermediary. I think I will buy it next time via Amazon.

I purchased the magazine through the company's website. so I thought I was buying "directly" from them but it appears that I was buying from their US distributer. I contacted the company through the company's website. They contacted their USA subscriptions company ExpressMag for my order. I received an e-mail message form ExpressMag this morning that I will receive the magazine within a week. What bothers me is that the lack of transparency. At least in Amazon, you can track the status of your order. I am not sure if I received anything if I did not contact the compoany.

I think they are still fulfilled via the same company since I got a letter from ExpressMag anyway. They just need to change their name to SlowMag wink. Perhaps they order "just enough" so they have a long lead time. Having the magazine come every two months makes any "delay" a long one.

Kawai K3
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hahaha, I like the new name "SlowMag"

FWIW, I was quite surprised at how quickly I received my copy here in Finland. I ordered the current issue (to see if I want to get a subscription...) from the company's website and it was here in two days! The confirmation email said "up to 28 days", so I was expecting a longer wait.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
I bought the iPad app. I chose issue#61 with Lang Lang on the cover. The iPad version includes the magazine and the audio files. It's pretty cool so far.

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 10/27/11 12:04 AM. Reason: Corrected iPad typo!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
I huts bought the iPad app. I chose issue#61 with Lang Lang on the cover. The iPad version includes the magazine and the audio files. It's pretty cool so far.

I bought it too but it crashes all the time. I have an iPad 1. You have no problems?
And the sheet music is too small on the display for me to play. I'll try making screenshots and print it as the software has no print function.
But the articles are quite helpful.

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

I have an iPad 1 as well. No problems at all with mine. I only wish you could play the audio file off line....I would like to be able to listen to the pieces while on a plane.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I finally got it! smile Edition No.62 of Pianist magazine finally came to my house. I ordered and paid for it in August 9th. So it took 3 months. But as far as the content is concerned, I am happy. thumb As everyone mentioned, there were lots of music in the center part of the magazine. I had incredible fun playing those pieces that I have never played in my life. Some of the composers I have never heard of. I played Alberti, Chopin 28-6, a couple of pages of Joplin and Tchaikovsky's October from the seasons op 37a. Had a blast.

Now, don't get excited. I am doing it at slower speed and without the ornaments for the intermediate pieces. I am not knowledgeble enough to deciper which way trills and mordant go, if you know what i mean. I tried Bach arrangement of Adagio BWV 974 too but could not play without practice. I don't read Baroque pieces very well. I enjoyed the Tchaikovsky piece - very beautiful. The magazine also contains Brahms duet - Hungarian Dance #2... I wish I had someone to do this with. Any taker?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I hope you're finding more than sheet music in the magazine. Most classical pieces are available as FREE sheet music online. And it's not just a few select pieces. It's practically EVERYTHING.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I browsed through the latest copy of Pianist Mag. today, yes, the pieces are all in public domain, not worth paying £5.25 ($8.00) for. These forums are more informative. OK to pick up for reading on the plane though. There's also CLAVIER COMPANION to read online, there could be more.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It is true that, except for a few pieces they are all public domain. But the same is true of a lot of music I've bought. It's the selection, the editing and any notes that you pay for. For me it's ok value.

Kawai K3

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with Andy -- there's value added in the editing on the sheet music foldouts.

But I buy it for the articles, of course. smile

The CD with sample performances of the pieces in the sheet music supplement is an added bonus.

On the whole, not a cheap magazine, but I think it well worth the cost.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I bought it for the article and currently enjoy reading them. The sheet music was an icing on the cake. I like it that someone whoes knowledgeable about music (I'm guessing here) selected the sheet music. I would not have picked most of the music provided in the magazine myself since my knowledge is limited to whatI know. So it's great to have that kind of exposure. It's also a good source of sight reading practice. Like Andy, I found value in the notes on the score as well. I just wish I got it sooner, that's all. Apart from the slow delivery, it's a good magazine.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anyone know of a similar magazine published in the US? I looked into this, and it looks like it's from the UK. A year subscription is ~60 British Pounds which is almost $100! It looks like an interesting mag, but that's pretty steep for just 6 issues confused

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
The iPad version is cheaper. 6 issues for $36. You still get the sheet music and audio files.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by milehighou
Anyone know of a similar magazine published in the US? I looked into this, and it looks like it's from the UK. A year subscription is ~60 British Pounds which is almost $100! It looks like an interesting mag, but that's pretty steep for just 6 issues confused

Yeah, it's quite expensive - though not quite as bad as that: $59.00 through Amazon in the US; £27.00 in the UK. I think you were looking at the cover price and I doubt there's a magazine in the world that costs the cover price for a subscription.

Kawai K3
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I payed exactly $59.00 as well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I payed exactly $59.00 as well.

Cool, thanks. I didn't even think about Amazon...will have to take a look.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission