2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1776441 10/24/11 06:38 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I'm starting a new section on the PianoBuyer.com website: Piano Buying Stories. These stories about the experience of buying a piano can be anywhere from a couple of paragraphs to a few thousand words in length, and can be authored by both consumers and salespeople. I'm looking for stories that reflect something surprising, touching, or unusual, and demonstrate how shopping for a piano is unlike shopping for most other consumer goods.

Here are the rules:

1) Stories must be true, though names of characters may be camouflaged to protect privacy.
2) The author must use his or her real name on the submission, though where there is good reason, I may be willing to omit the name when published.
3) Authors involved in the piano industry must reveal their professional affiliations.
4) Stories are published at my discretion, and may be edited for length, style, and grammar.
5) Generally, compensation will not be provided for the stories, but where an unusually long story is submitted by an established writer, some compensation may be possible.
6) Authors may be required to sign an editorial contract with a hold-harmless agreement.

Please send submissions or queries to me at larry@pianobuyer.com .

Larry Fine

Author, The Piano Book
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I've got some good piano stories to tell, but they pretain to pre-owned pianos and not new ones, if that makes a difference (and I think it does).

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yeah, sure I'll give you my story, if I have time. It will be very interesting to read when it's out, surely. Looiong forward to it! laugh

1942 Baldwin M
M
M
Sounds interesting! Somehow, buying a piano seems so much more interesting that buying a car, boat, house etc.

1928 Chas. M. Stieff 6'1" Grand. Major rebuild 2011
1920 Mason & Risch Upright (actually my mother's)
1971 Hammond R-100
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play
I harbor a lot of jealousy for these piano stories, especially when the prospective buyer pays a visit to a first-class piano manufacture (or workshop, factory, etc.), compare incredible instruments side by side, and choose which one that speaks to them. The piano will then probably (I'm not sure what happens exactly) be prepped and regulated to the customer's taste and eventually be shipped. I'm pretty sure the customer also gets a full tour, meets up with some key people (usually family of the founder who manage the business), and the works. It's just amazing. I don't think there is an experience quite like it.

Yeah, you can take a tour to Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet and be astonished with the craftsmanship, history, and beauty of their timepieces, but choosing an musical instrument that truly speaks to you, an instrument that soon becomes your own voice, well, is an experience that transcends (I know everyone here hates that word) acquiring a beautiful object.

It's an emotional and spiritual undertaking for a serious artist, and quite a privileged one at that.

Of course, we don't have to traverse the skies to find an instrument we love, but it is something most musicians don't get to experience.

The piano stories section is a great idea, Mr. Fine. I do hope to see a lot of well written soul searches. It's a wonderful way to make Piano Buyer more entertaining that it already is.

Last edited by R_Dorothy; 10/25/11 02:21 AM.

If you want love you must be love
But if you bleed love you will die love
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is going back about 25 years but I bought a Yamaha C3 from Orange County Piano & Organ (or Organ & Piano) in Middletown, NY over the phone.

I'm pretty sure the entire transaction was over the phone. We agreed on a price, I sent a check and they delivered a new C3 to my house. They called me when it arrived at the store wanting to know if I wanted to witness it being uncrated and I said no.

No fuss, no muss. [sent to LF]

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Dave,

Your testimonial is in fact the excact opposite of the OP's thesis, being:

shopping for a piano is unlike shopping for most other consumer goods.

Does what you say means you consider buying a piano just a buying any other commodity?

schwammerl.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
This is going back about 25 years but I bought a Yamaha C3 from Orange County Piano & Organ (or Organ & Piano) in Middletown, NY over the phone.

I'm pretty sure the entire transaction was over the phone. We agreed on a price, I sent a check and they delivered a new C3 to my house. They called me when it arrived at the store wanting to know if I wanted to witness it being uncrated and I said no.

No fuss, no muss. [sent to LF]

Only with Yamaha could that be rational. Such is their uniformity, piano-to-piano.

Last edited by qualia; 10/25/11 04:37 PM.

Bechstein Academy 210

Working on: Bach

Only with Yamaha could that be rational. Such is their uniformity, piano-to-piano.

Fact is there are several others involving a number of different makes right here on the board.

Anticipating that other submissions to Mr Fine will prove same point.

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 10/25/11 05:54 PM.

I still do not know if these piano stories should pretain to used pianos or new, or either...

Let me tell you about the time.... laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Larry,

Just wanted to say thanks for creating such a great book, and putting it online! It's a valuable resource. I recently bought a new piano, and although I have some experience w/the process, your price guidelines and brand info were extremely helpful!

thumb thumb thumb

Last edited by milehighou; 10/26/11 07:48 AM.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
You gotta put in Franks story.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Originally Posted by Pianolance
You gotta put in Franks story.

I second that motion! smile

Rick

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission