Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Bean23, 36251, Beardog, AnthonyPaulO, anotherscott, Albert Brighten, AWilley, 26 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177606
01/14/03 04:04 AM
01/14/03 04:04 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Folks,

I've understood that Yamaha have released a new model grand (the GC1) which apparently contains "most" (?) of the features of the C1. Has anyone compared (played) these side by side and do they have any opinions on which is better.

I'm currently looking to buy and have size constraints (the C1 size is fine) but would like the "silent mode" also (which narrows my choice in terms of maker since a> I prefer the system built in from the factory for reliability / warranty and b> the choice of piano's / dealers in Geneva is not as great as that of the US).

Thanks for any comments on the GC1 model smile

Regards,

Gary.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177607
01/14/03 09:51 AM
01/14/03 09:51 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Gary,

I spoke with Yamaha USA technical about this piano just to get a feel for the differences between the C1, GH1, and GC1.

The GC1 does not have a sostenuto pedal, and there are structural differences. The scale is better than the GH1, but not the same as the C1.

IMHO, the model is more of a fix to drooping sales of the GH1 than praise to the C1.

I say, buy the piano that you like best. Neither will fall apart in your home and they both sound decent, at least as new pianos in the showroom.

One last thing, no serious classical musician would buy a grand without a sostenuto pedal. This may give you a clue who Yamaha thinks will purchase the GC1.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177608
01/14/03 04:33 PM
01/14/03 04:33 PM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
Hi Gary,

The GC1 does not have a sostenuto pedal, and there are structural differences. The scale is better than the GH1, but not the same as the C1.

One last thing, no serious classical musician would buy a grand without a sostenuto pedal. This may give you a clue who Yamaha thinks will purchase the GC1.
Thanks for the feedback smile

I can't believe the piano does not have a sostenuto pedal - wow, I thought only the cheapest grands and uprights lacked this pedal.

I guess I'll be going for the C1 ... (or, at least, not for the GC1 unless the sost. can be included as an option).

Thanks again,

Gary.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177609
01/14/03 06:04 PM
01/14/03 06:04 PM
Louisiana
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jolly  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Louisiana
Hi Gary,

What Rich said, of course, was true. And yes, the Yamaha C series are nice pianos.

But when you are talking about pianos in the 5'3" range, other pianos may deserve consideration. So it may behoove you to do a bit of comparison shopping. Unless, of course, you are totally sold on Yamaha, and then my suggestion is moot smile .

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177610
01/14/03 06:16 PM
01/14/03 06:16 PM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by Gary P.:
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
[b]Hi Gary,

I can't believe the piano does not have a sostenuto pedal - wow, I thought only the cheapest grands and uprights lacked this pedal.
Thanks again,

Gary.[/b]
Just to follow up, I just checked the Yamaha literature I picked up from the dealer (basically, lots of blurb and pictures saying how good things are) and on the back page, there is a list of the models and specifications. It says the GC1 is the same as the C1 in all things except "Lid Prop positions", "Lid edge", "Soft close Fallboard" and "Lid Fallboard locks". For all models (GA1 through CF111S), it says they have a middle "Sostenuto" pedal.

Apparently, the scaling is the same - Duplex Scaling and "Tone Collector" (hence the original question ... confused ).

Must be the structural points you mentioned - the difference in price is more than US$3000 eek Hmmm, as you say, I'll have to play them side by side to see if the changes affect the tone/playability etc..

Regards,

Gary.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177611
01/15/03 04:21 AM
01/15/03 04:21 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by Jolly:
Hi Gary,

What Rich said, of course, was true. And yes, the Yamaha C series are nice pianos.

But when you are talking about pianos in the 5'3" range, other pianos may deserve consideration. So it may behoove you to do a bit of comparison shopping. Unless, of course, you are totally sold on Yamaha, and then my suggestion is moot smile .
Completely agree on what you say. I'm basically limited by 3 things: size (my wife wants a decent dining table in the living area... go figure smile ), the desire for an acoustic piano but the need for a silent system and finally, the fact that I live in Geneva but speak little French (I'll have to manage with not only the dealer to buy but also with the techs in the future).

I'm only favouring Yamaha because it is the best fit taking into account the above criteria. While I was living in Thailand a few years ago, I hired a Yamaha C1 for the home which was a little "bright" for me but better than nothing at the time.

I personally prefer Bluthner or Boesendorfer because of the "mellowness" and light action(first 12 years of practice was on my Fathers Bluthner) but sometimes you have to compromise frown

However, I still have more dealers to visit and need to assess what hybrid pianos I can actually buy here and focus on those. The only dealer I have spoken to (well, my wife has spoken to) doesn't recommend a retrofit silent system - they tried it and had no end of problems with the system thereafter (don't have more specifics) ...

Regards,

Gary.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177612
01/15/03 11:08 PM
01/15/03 11:08 PM
Melbourne, Florida USA
TomtheTuner Offline
500 Post Club Member
TomtheTuner  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Florida USA
The Middle sostuneto pedal means a fake or bass damper lift. that means the middle pedal lifts the bass dampers like on the average older vertical. I would buy the C1 unless the price of the GC1 is really a lot lower. like $5000 or so. I aggree with everything everybody has said. Its about time that yamaha fixed the stupid mistake they made on the tenor break scaling. good luck.....

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177613
01/16/03 06:03 PM
01/16/03 06:03 PM
J
Josef Offline
Josef  Offline
J

I work for a Yamaha dealer and I have worked with these instruments. I have looked over the instruments and here are the differences and similarities. The GH1 is dicontinued, it has a bass sustain for the middle pedal and no duplex scaling, also no under felt on the hammer heads.It has a design flaw creating an twang sound in the notes at the break line between the tenor string and the bass strings. The GC1 has a less fancy cabinet infact it looksjust like the GH1 on the outside. No lock; it has a bass sustain for middle pedal. No underfelt on the hammerheads. It does have the same action as the C1, infact the GC1 action says C1 on it. Both GC1 and C1 have duplex scaling and what they call tone collecting system. The scale is very similar in GC1 and C1 and I even think that they may have the same scale.The scale has a much cleaner break line. C1 has underfelt on the hammerhead making it somewhat easier to voice.The C1 has a lock on the cabinet and a soft-fall fall board which is spring loaded to let the fallboard fall gracfully down and not slam shut. I hope that this gives you idea of the differences.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177614
01/17/03 03:30 AM
01/17/03 03:30 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by Josef:
I work for a Yamaha dealer and I have worked with these instruments. I have looked over the instruments and here are the differences and similarities.
No lock; it has a bass sustain for middle pedal.
C1 has underfelt on the hammerhead making it somewhat easier to voice.
I hope that this gives you idea of the differences.
Thanks for the feedback Josef (and the others also).

Josef - you mention the bass sustain on the GC1; does the C1 have a full sustain or it's the same?

Based on feedback, I'm now tending toward the C1 rather than the GC1 - particularly the comments on voicing since over time, I will try to get the technician to soften the tone and the underfelt will help this process.

Regards,

Gary.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177615
01/19/03 12:15 AM
01/19/03 12:15 AM
J
Josef Offline
Josef  Offline
J

Gary,
The right pedal works the same function on both pianos, full sustain. The C1 has had more time spent at the factory for fine regulating and voicing. You may some difficulty in having the piano voiced down. Yamahas are designed to be bright and too much voicing can make it sound like it is being smuthered with a pillow. I found that out the hard way.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177616
01/19/03 11:22 AM
01/19/03 11:22 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Josef,

They may have a more similar scale than the C-1 and GH-1, but according to Yamaha, they aren't the same scale.

Thanks for confirming the bass sustain pedal.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177617
01/19/03 11:04 PM
01/19/03 11:04 PM
J
Josef Offline
Josef  Offline
J

The GC1 and the C1 come very close in measurements that I have made when the first GC1 came in. They have the same break points and same style duplex scaling and measurements of the bass strings are almost the same. There will be small differences to lessen the cost of the GC1. When the opportuninty comes up, try these two models side by side and see what I mean.

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177618
03/21/03 08:22 AM
03/21/03 08:22 AM
N
ngjyang Offline
ngjyang  Offline
N

hi..
Basically, I think that the sostenuto or bass sustain pedal is seldom used in piano playing.. At least in classical music..and chances of you playing something that requires a true sostenuto/bass sustain (or Poor Man's Sostenuto as some might call it) is very low..

I also tried the C1 and GC1 side by side at a Yamaha showroom near me and I found that apart from the added features of the C1 (like slo-close fallboard, true sostenuto pedel etc), i find that there's absolutely no difference in the tone or the touch between the two models..except the price which is about few Ks.. The GC1 is a superb improvement over the GHs which sound very harsh..

So if you have the money to spare, i would recommend C1, if not, the GC1 would be a very good alternative to that.. hope this helps..

Re: Yamaha grand - GC1 vs. C1 #177619
03/21/03 11:20 AM
03/21/03 11:20 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gprice Offline OP
gprice  Offline OP

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by ngjyang:
hi..
I also tried the C1 and GC1 side by side at a Yamaha showroom near me and I found that apart from the added features of the C1 (like slo-close fallboard, true sostenuto pedel etc), i find that there's absolutely no difference in the tone or the touch between the two models.

So if you have the money to spare, i would recommend C1, if not, the GC1 would be a very good alternative to that.. hope this helps..
It's very timely that this thread popped up again - I have been looking at various pianos over the last month or so but am really forced (family, house, neighbours etc.) to the silent system and understand that the Yamaha is the best one (I've heard various comments on retro-installation and tried one myself - it sounded like a toy piano!).

So ... I have the size template (floor mat) from my local dealer and will go either for a GC1S, C1S or C2S. Currently (despite the price), I'm favouring the C1S (the C2S is good also but imposed space considerations don't lend themselves to the C2S).

I played 2 C1's and a DC1(?) (a GC1 with Diskclavier system) again at lunchtime today when picking up the template. They have voiced one of the C1's very nicely - I was pleasantly surprised. The other C1 hadn't been voiced yet (it hadn't reached the showroom) and it clearly showed. I said to the dealer that I would be fussy on the voicing and wanted it voiced in my house to match the accoustics and my preference which (if I decided to buy) which he said was no problem.

Unlike my last visit to the dealer, I didn't touch the Bosey's, Fazioli's, Steinways and Grotians sitting alongside the Yamaha's. Doing that has put me off Yamaha before since I hear (and know) they are better (but a> they cost a lot more and b> there's this "silent" thing)...

So, based on comments here and my feeling, it looks like I'll be buying a C1S in the near future eek

Gary.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What PianoWorld has cost me...
by David B. 03/26/19 07:48 PM
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,148
Posts2,811,207
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission