2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I meant no disrespect to Sail, who was asking a sincere question and I don't think that was implied in my comment. I was refeffing to the debate. I still don't understand why other people endlessly feel the need to debate a defined concept.

Perhaps because it's not as clearly defined as you think? The fact that the debate arises so frequently on this forum alone suggests to me that it isn't clear-cut.

Not that it really matters, in my view. Arguing about what words mean serves only to reduce the amount of time available for arguing about music smile

sail #1772720 10/18/11 08:17 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There's a poster over in the Pianist Corner who is an exceptional sight reader. And he proved it in this thread:

Give me something to sight read!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
sail #1772721 10/18/11 08:19 AM

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Sight-reading music is a bit like working in another/new language that uses a different alphabet. (I speak and translate and interpret various languages.) Learning another language requires a lot of hard work in order to have the facility required to 'read' and instantly interpret in some fashion.

Perhaps the mistake many of us make is that we think we might be able to do this without that specific application.

I've bought a number of volumes - a little below my playing level - specifically to practice sight-reading (every day, if I can).

Last edited by Eglantine; 10/18/11 08:20 AM.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
sail #1772813 10/18/11 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Likewise "reading" one piece of music and playing it until you've got it really polished does not help you (greatly) with your overall ability to read music.

I agree; working on a piece until you've polished it probably doesn't help with learning to read music. However, reading the piece does, whether simultaneously playing it or not. Of course, if you read it enough times that you start reciting from memory, that kind of defeats the purpose...

Originally Posted by landorrano
Still, I think that it helps to see that sight-reading is only/merely/simply/just/plainly reading (with an adjective). And that it is this relationship of the two that is the most important.

And that the distinction isn't pedantic.

I agree whole-heartedly. I would also like to add that I think it's important to make such a distinction in order to help manage people's expectations. "Sight-reading" in the strict sense can seem quite daunting to a beginner, whereas increasing one's fluency in reading music is a much less intimidating goal.

Originally Posted by Eglantine
Sight-reading music is a bit like working in another/new language that uses a different alphabet.

Exactly! I think that may be the best way to highlight the difference between "reading" and "sight-reading" that we've been discussing. Learning a language with a new alphabet involves a phase where words are decoded letter-by-letter; eventually, a certain level of fluency is achieved and whole words (or portions of words) become instantly recognizable, at which point one can "read". Being able to orate from text or recite poetry, however, requires still a higher level of fluency, which might be analogous to "prima-vista" sight-reading.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
sail #1774017 10/20/11 10:03 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
It is a pity that interest in this thread has faded so quickly. It is such an important topic, that I would think ought to be of primary concern to everyone who comes to this forum.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It is a pity that interest in this thread has faded so quickly. It is such an important topic, that I would think ought to be of primary concern to everyone who comes to this forum.

But it's been discussed many many times and will be again.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Sorry, I think I'm confused by your signature. Are you going through a course or creating a course? Either way, would love to hear about it.

Brian, I am creating it and would love to talk about that. But I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about my own product. I will send you a PM.

SightReadingMastery – Master Sight Reading with Real Music
W
W
I would like to point out that in some countries a beginning music student, be it a child or an adult, typically has a half-hour lesson each week on his instrument, and two hours of reading class each week.

What do they do during these classes? I would have thought you would have to be doing reading as an individual exercise, and unless this is one on one instruction sitting at the instrument, I would like to know the broad outlines of the process.

whitfit #1777960 10/27/11 02:45 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by whitfit
I would like to point out that in some countries a beginning music student, be it a child or an adult, typically has a half-hour lesson each week on his instrument, and two hours of reading class each week.

What do they do during these classes? I would have thought you would have to be doing reading as an individual exercise, and unless this is one on one instruction sitting at the instrument, I would like to know the broad outlines of the process.

No, this is not sitting at the piano, it is a group lesson in a classroom. It is not especially for piano, students of all instruments find themselves together in these classes. The only instrument that the students have is their voice and their hands.

A
A
This has been true in my limited experience, as well. Studying a new piece away from the piano, just getting a feel for the tempo, the overall structure, and then a read through of actually name the notes to myself in each hand (even without solfeggio, which I'm not great at) makes a WORLD of difference in my first at-the-piano playing of either hand. I can only HT sight read (prima vista) very basic stuff, but for practical learning a new piece with the intent to work it until it is smooth and compositionally clean, a thorough study of the score makes the process go a lot quicker, especially in the first session or two of working a new bit of it.

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
landorrano, I am mystified. Simply reading the notes away from the piano, without simultaneously playing them, does nothing to foster the eye-hand connection which is necessary for playing music from written notation. How does your easy-chair method help someone to play?

Hi PianoStudent88. Mystfifed ? I love that ! And "easy-chair method", I love that too, I ought to try to market it !

Seriously, though. Studying reading away from the piano will help you a great deal when you have to read at the piano. And studying a score that you are going to play -- that is to say, reading through it, "in your easy-chair" (patent pending ) -- before trying to play it will help you greatly.

If you cannot read it "in your easy chair", that just brings out how overwhelming an effort you are making at the piano.

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission