2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
moebo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This next question will prove my naivety. When you show the flash card, are you asking for the letter name response or the key on the piano response? Both I assume?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by moebo
This next question will prove my naivety. When you show the flash card, are you asking for the letter name response or the key on the piano response? Both I assume?

I actually prefer to use those flash cards with two notes, and ask students to say the interval (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) before they identify the letter names. For the sake of developing stronger reading abilities, intervallic reading (reading of shapes, direction, and distance) is extremely important.

And, yes, I'd ask the student to play the notes on the piano, too.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I actually prefer to use those flash cards with two notes, and ask students to say the interval (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) before they identify the letter names. For the sake of developing stronger reading abilities, intervallic reading (reading of shapes, direction, and distance) is extremely important.

And, yes, I'd ask the student to play the notes on the piano, too.

Consecutively? Like if a parent were using these flash cards at home, might it go something like this:
- show flash card
- child names the note(s) [and interval]
- child then plays this note / these notes/intervals on the piano?

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Becoming proficient at reading does take a long time. I was terrible at it as a child and progressed exceptionally slowly, but at some point it "clicked" for me and it will for your son.

With just these three things:

1) Reading
2) learning to use the ear
3) Developing really good fingering

ONE always seems to lag behind.

I read very fast from the start, and could play almost anything by ear.

My fingering was AWFUL. wink

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

At some point in his first year or so, my son's first teacher had me work pretty intensively with him to just plain burn into memory the notes of the bass and treble clef up to the line or two above and/or below the top F and the bottom G on the grand staff. The drills became a game. I would time him so see how many he could get right in thirty seconds. In fairly short order he had the bulk of the keyboard fully memorized and his sight reading improved dramatically after that.

The problem: if you have a "piano dad" who is really sharp, things just flow. I have one.

I usually discourage parents from sitting in lessons, and after age eight they usually do not WANT to be in them. Children split their attention between me and the "helpful parent", who usually does not understand what is going on.

However, in the case of the "sharp father", I not only let him attend all lessons, I ASK him to be here. He is a baseball coach, and he totally "gets" my strategies. Most likely he would have been a very fine player himself if he had taken lessons himself as a child.

BUT: Can you imagine how far parents can screw up things like flash cards if they use them incorrectly? <wince>

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Consecutively? Like if a parent were using these flash cards at home, might it go something like this:
- show flash card
- child names the note(s) [and interval]
- child then plays this note / these notes/intervals on the piano?

You can mix it up, in any order:
1) intervals,
2) letter names,
3) press down the correct keys.

And later on we can add finger numbers, just to reinforce the fact that each note can be played by any finger.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
BUT: Can you imagine how far parents can screw up things like flash cards if they use them incorrectly? <wince>

Hey, at least they try. I have a few parents who absolutely refuse to try, and their kids are "surviving" piano on their own.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Hey, at least they try. I have a few parents who absolutely refuse to try, and their kids are "surviving" piano on their own.

Parents who won't help with flash cards??

I'd be happy if they helped their kids set TIMES to practice. frown

I hate flash cards and never use them for anything, yet somehow my kids are quite good at reading music. 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter can even read music on 3 clefs without ever using flash cards. There are other ways to learn than flash cards. My kids know their times tables without using them too.

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by christineka

I hate flash cards and never use them for anything, yet somehow my kids are quite good at reading music. 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter can even read music on 3 clefs without ever using flash cards. There are other ways to learn than flash cards. My kids know their times tables without using them too.

The point here is that notes have to be learned. How we teach it (as teachers) or how *you* teach it, as a parent, does not matter IF the method being used is working.

For the record, I don't use flash cards, ever. But different strokes for different folks... smile

For the record, I don't use flash cards, ever. But different strokes for different folks...

Indeed. And you managed to say it without dripping condescension.

Yes. I have students "play and say" the note on the card. I do this for two reasons - it gives me feedback on both naming notes and finding them on the keyboard, and I'm a firm believer in connecting the brain, hands, and mouth together.

A side benefit is that once students are used to saying something and playing at the same time, counting aloud becomes much easier, too.

Also, I believe that flash cards must be timed. I don't use them for recognition, I use them mostly for speed. Far too many people ignore this aspect of note learning. I've found that to be a good reader, a student should be able to go through 30 flash cards in 60 seconds. (Yes, my 10 year olds can do 30 flash cards in 60 seconds.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Another reason why timed flash card drills work for some kids is that it becomes a game.

M
moebo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I understand some people use flash cards and some don't. "Whatever works..." After reading the interesting discussion above I believe I will add them to my son's practice. I am quite sure he will love competing with his mother in this arena. I'm also quite sure that in no time at all, he will happily defeat me on the timed drills (and-- ah yes-- learn the notes/intervals et cetera at the same time). Thank you to all.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Luke in ChiTown

Personally, I think sight-reading is the MOST important SKILL I can teach my students IF my ultimate goal is that they will continue enjoying making music at the piano for the rest of their lives.

Personally, I agree 100 percent.

M
M
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by Luke in ChiTown

Personally, I think sight-reading is the MOST important SKILL I can teach my students IF my ultimate goal is that they will continue enjoying making music at the piano for the rest of their lives.

Personally, I agree 100 percent.

I agree sight reading is important...but The most important skill in piano? I can think of several things that trump that, like learning how to play expressively so that what they feel can come through the piano, good technique so they are able to play whatever they want pain-free, exposure to all styles and different composers so that they can come to love classical music (which I feel is among the most beautiful music around, and which also is the most demanding technically).

Sight reading will help a student learn a piece faster and not get bogged down with reading through something note-by-note slowly. But true enjoyment from playing (IMO) doesn't come from being able to just sit down and play, but to work on a piece, really learn it well and be able to express your own feelings through it. One can sight read expressively, but it's always much more expressive when you don't have to really read it anymore and you can focus on how you want it to sound. I really don't know if it's what I would put at the top of the list.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
I have a question for all of you who have remarked that 1-2 pieces assigned per week is not enough. I have always made it a point to go over each piece I assign to a student during the lesson, so that I am sure that they will practice it correctly and not come back to me next week having practiced using incorrect rhythm, bad fingering, etc., etc. -- all of which has to be corrected during the lesson and usually results in the student needing to spend additional time on the piece.

When you have the students working on four or more pieces at a time, how do you even get through all of them in a 1/2 hour lesson? Or don't you have them play all of them every week.

I had one student come to me recently whose former teacher had assigned several pieces each week. I told him that I usually stuck to one or two, and he breathed a sigh of relief because he said that he often had trouble practicing his pieces correctly with his old teacher because she hadn't taken the time to go over the piece with him before it was assigned.

I've been teaching for 13 years, and I think I am pretty good at running an "efficient" lesson, i.e., keeping the students focused on what we're working on,keeping chatting to a minimum, etc. but I would find it impossible to go over 3-4 pieces during a 1/2 hour lesson. So, I'm really curious as to how you guys do it.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sonataplayer
I have a question for all of you who have remarked that 1-2 pieces assigned per week is not enough.

Of course, it depends on the student! I have some students who can't do much more than ONE freakin' piece (8 bars) per week. I literally have to make sure they pressed down all the right notes before I let them go home and practice on their own (if they practice at all). These are students whose parents also don't take piano very seriously.

The assiduous students deserve more pieces. 7-8 short pieces for them will be just right for a week's worth of work. 3-4 pieces if they are intermediate and above, and obviously they will just work on parts of each piece, unless they're testing.

And then there's a wide range of students between the two extremes. I adjust their workload according to their practice habits and musical inclinations.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

When you have the students working on four or more pieces at a time, how do you even get through all of them in a 1/2 hour lesson?

Well, the trick is teaching 45-minute lessons. smile Imo, 30 minutes just isn't enough time to do everything I need to do with a student.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Originally Posted by Minniemay

When you have the students working on four or more pieces at a time, how do you even get through all of them in a 1/2 hour lesson?

Well, the trick is teaching 45-minute lessons. smile Imo, 30 minutes just isn't enough time to do everything I need to do with a student.

I believe in 1 hour lessons past the first year. There's more to piano than just playing it. Ear training, theory, and composition are important too.

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission