Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
82 registered members (AprilE, Agent88, anotherscott, accordeur, ando, 36251, 26 invisible), 849 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 312 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 311 312
#1770755 - 10/14/11 08:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,496
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,496
Virginia, USA
AotW - I became a "1000 Post Club Member".

Flub of the week ... I was supposed to make this my 1000th post but, just as I predicted, I wasn't keeping track and it passed me by ... this will be post # 1009 instead!


  • Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1770783 - 10/14/11 09:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
bessel Offline
Full Member
bessel  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
AotW - I became a "1000 Post Club Member".

Flub of the week ... I was supposed to make this my 1000th post but, just as I predicted, I wasn't keeping track and it passed me by ... this will be post # 1009 instead!


Andy, for some reason (probably because I remember your prediction) that really cracked me up!

Happy 1000 to you! May the next 1000 treat you (and us) well. smile


Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
#1770831 - 10/14/11 11:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Recaredo]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by Recaredo
This week I’ve managed to play the Chopin’s prelude (Op 28 No 4) complete. This has been so difficult


Difficult but rewarding? laugh It's a poem in the music literature we could not do without.


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1770897 - 10/15/11 03:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]  
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline


Gold Supporter until March 1 2014


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
Far far away
Originally Posted by bessel
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
AotW - I became a "1000 Post Club Member".

Flub of the week ... I was supposed to make this my 1000th post but, just as I predicted, I wasn't keeping track and it passed me by ... this will be post # 1009 instead!


Andy, for some reason (probably because I remember your prediction) that really cracked me up!

Happy 1000 to you! May the next 1000 treat you (and us) well. smile


lol...... Well, you said you'd probably miss it.
Wishing you fun with the next 1000!

FarmGirl - I wasn't at all offended (and btw, I'm not Italian, I just live here!- ) I just wanted to explain what could be a misunderstanding, given what I have seen and heard here.

I am at a weird point this week. Missed my lesson last week, my teacher had to cancel, she had a good reason, but it always bothers me to miss a lesson. I really feel like I lose a lot of momentum.

However, I did enjoy "escaping" from assigned work and playing with my new Martha Miers book. I am having a blast with a very simple "rag".


[Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1771027 - 10/15/11 12:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 748
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member
ZoeCalgary  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 748
Calgary Alberta
My rather oddball aotw was I went to test a 2nd hand digital piano and I played some songs that I've been learning lately. At first I was nervous and kept the headphones on but of course I had to take them off at some point to hear the built in speakers. The lady who was selling it was very nice and she clapped for me after my first song. Then for some reason I found I was NOT nervous and just concentrating on playing! I still made silly errors but nonetheless I wasn't making a big deal of it inside my head. I think maybe because I was concentrating so much on the sound/feel of the piano the internal chatter in my head temporarily stopped! This is big for me. So much so that at my sons lesson yesterday the teacher told us about the March recital. She suggested that adults who are going to be taking exams (me) may find this a good thing to do. I may just consider this if I can keep these nerves under control and just have fun.

#1771052 - 10/15/11 12:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ZoeCalgary]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
My rather oddball aotw was I went to test a 2nd hand digital piano and I played some songs that I've been learning lately. At first I was nervous and kept the headphones on but of course I had to take them off at some point to hear the built in speakers. The lady who was selling it was very nice and she clapped for me after my first song. Then for some reason I found I was NOT nervous and just concentrating on playing! I still made silly errors but nonetheless I wasn't making a big deal of it inside my head. I think maybe because I was concentrating so much on the sound/feel of the piano the internal chatter in my head temporarily stopped! This is big for me. So much so that at my sons lesson yesterday the teacher told us about the March recital. She suggested that adults who are going to be taking exams (me) may find this a good thing to do. I may just consider this if I can keep these nerves under control and just have fun.


You can do it!


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1771058 - 10/15/11 01:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Recaredo]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by Recaredo
Your adventures with the piano are amazing, FarmGirl. Thanks for sharing them with us.

This week I’ve managed to play the Chopin’s prelude (Op 28 No 4) complete. This has been so difficult…, although to be honest I have to say my playing is not very good, or rather, it’s completely mediocre.

The next time, when I choose a new piece to learn, I’ll check the difficulty of all the bars, before starting laugh.



This might help, just saw it from another thread:
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1771318 - 10/15/11 11:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
bessel Offline
Full Member
bessel  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
Ohio, USA

AOTW: during my lesson today, for the first time nearly the entire time was spent on dynamics and expression, rather than learning to "hit the right notes"... and it was quite eye opening. I'd been playing my sonatina pretty flat (ie with little expression, not off-key!), and I just worked on it again tonight and it's so much more "alive"! Very fun, this is... Long way to go, but that is good. smile

In another AOTW, I read "Grand Obsession"; very interesting and fun book, which kept me up a bit late a few nights. I feel both fortunate and unfortunate to not be blessed with her ear...


Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
#1771322 - 10/15/11 11:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by bessel

AOTW: during my lesson today, for the first time nearly the entire time was spent on dynamics and expression, rather than learning to "hit the right notes"... and it was quite eye opening.


thumb


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1771329 - 10/15/11 11:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]  
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 25
Yuki_Kiki Offline
Full Member
Yuki_Kiki  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 25
Hong Kong
Hi Bessel, glad to hear that you find the way. thumb

I also read "Grand Obsession" before and this book brought me to this forum laugh


♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
#1771352 - 10/16/11 12:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 526
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member
JeanieA  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 526
Reno, Nevada
I just came home from my first "adult student potluck."

My new teacher organizes informal "recitals" for his adult students 3 or 4 times a year, as the adults don't generally like to play in his formal recitals and this gives an opportunity for performance experience. The evening (as I understand it, I'm the n00b) normally consists of gathering at one student's home, everyone playing a piece or part of one they're working on or just listening if you don't want to play, followed by dinner.

So, I played even though I hadn't planned to. I had a disheartening lesson earlier in the week where nothing was right. Tempos, phrasings, staccatos, legatos, fingerings, volume levels...all wrong. Kinda took the enthusiasm right out of me.

After one false start; a piece I've had memorized for years completely abandoned me for 5 minutes or so...couldn't remember the opening notes! But it came back and I got through with only a minor flub. Teacher told me "You're a much better performer than you give youself credit for." I feel better about things now! smile Dinner was pretty good too.


Collector of sheet music I can't play.
#1771387 - 10/16/11 01:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JeanieA]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by JeanieA
I just came home from my first "adult student potluck."

My new teacher organizes informal "recitals" for his adult students 3 or 4 times a year, as the adults don't generally like to play in his formal recitals and this gives an opportunity for performance experience. The evening (as I understand it, I'm the n00b) normally consists of gathering at one student's home, everyone playing a piece or part of one they're working on or just listening if you don't want to play, followed by dinner.

So, I played even though I hadn't planned to. I had a disheartening lesson earlier in the week where nothing was right. Tempos, phrasings, staccatos, legatos, fingerings, volume levels...all wrong. Kinda took the enthusiasm right out of me.

After one false start; a piece I've had memorized for years completely abandoned me for 5 minutes or so...couldn't remember the opening notes! But it came back and I got through with only a minor flub. Teacher told me "You're a much better performer than you give youself credit for." I feel better about things now! smile Dinner was pretty good too.


Jeanie, sounds like a positive experience! Thanks for sharing. Good Music + Good Music = grin


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1771904 - 10/17/11 12:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,285
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,285
Scottsdale, AZ
My AtoW - I practiced on my own piano. I love my piano. I have to do lots of scales and hanon to make up for the lost time. Even though I was able to practice on my company's piano, it's nothing like practicing on my piano.



1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Beethoven sonata g major 14 No. 2 (re do)
3) Chopin a flat major Ballade (schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2)
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) Bartok. 4 old tunes and Scherzo)
#1771910 - 10/17/11 12:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sam Rose  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Los Angeles
Hello again guys!
So here's a preliminary recording I just made of Fantaisie Impromptu. I know it needs some work, and I plan to record it on a grand piano (instead of my upright) for the ABF recital. The worst of it is the mistake at 4:14 and the fact that I went too fast at 3:27. All comments are appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10B2AaH8zPo


Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
#1771920 - 10/17/11 01:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member
PaperClip  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
Amsterdam, Holland
Wow Sam, that sounds really good. thumb

My AOTW is that I finally learned how to play all the notes of Für Elise. Now I will focus on dynamics, but I'm still playing it at a low speed. It boosts my confidence though that I can play it from begin to end. I never had a piece this long.


Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
#1771961 - 10/17/11 03:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline


Gold Supporter until March 1 2014


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
Far far away
Zoe, good for you. I don't know if I would do very well in that situation, I admire you courage! As for the recital - go for it - that IS great fun.

Bessel: I head about Grand Obsession here at PW, and very much enjoyed it. I liked reading about how pianos are built too, it was interesting to follow the whole procedure from tree to finished product.
Sounds like you are really having a wondeful time with dynamics! It makes everything sound so new and exciting, doesn't it? (well, I imagine. - I'm not the best with my dynamics)

JeanieA - what lovely feedback from your teacher, and what a great comfortable environment in which to share your music. A special evening indeed.

Sam, you've been playing less than a year? On a better day I'd say "wow, I'm inspired" - today I can only say "wow....wow, wow - How do you do that?" I'm so impressed.

But also a bit depressed. I think I must be the slowest adult beginner ever.

Paperclip - good for you - I hope you'll play in the recital for us!



We had friends over yesterday- total of 4 couples and one in each couple is a musician - (I include myself in that group, though I have to be considered the weak link in the chain, for sure!)..... The other three who played were on piano, guitar and accordion - they were great - playing from lead sheets , ad libbing, it was marvellous to hear the house resounding with music.

(I played a bit, when people were chatting, or out on the balcony, trying hard to keep in mind I've been playing less than 2 years).






.


[Linked Image]
#1771963 - 10/17/11 03:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Hello again guys!
So here's a preliminary recording I just made of Fantaisie Impromptu. I know it needs some work, and I plan to record it on a grand piano (instead of my upright) for the ABF recital. The worst of it is the mistake at 4:14 and the fact that I went too fast at 3:27. All comments are appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10B2AaH8zPo


Sam, would you mind sharing your course of self-study that led you to this level of playing? According to your other YouTube video, you wrote: "I starting playing in September of 2010 (less than a year prior to now, having never played any instrument before that), and I have not had a teacher or any lessons thus far."

If only a year of independent learning can produce this level of music, I'm sure many here would like to learn from your experiences. Which instructional material(s) have you used? How long do you practice each day? What is your typical practice session like? Thanks!


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1771964 - 10/17/11 03:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sam Rose  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Los Angeles
casiinitaly -

It's just practice, practice and more practice. Also, it's a bit more than a year (I think I'm at close to 13 months now). I've been working on this piece for for 3 1/2 months or so, and playing more than an hour a day typically.

Don't be depressed! I'm sure you're much better than you give yourself credit for. I'm very much looking forward to hearing you play! Do you have any recordings available now?


Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
#1771966 - 10/17/11 03:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sam Rose  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 687
Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Lain
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Hello again guys!
So here's a preliminary recording I just made of Fantaisie Impromptu. I know it needs some work, and I plan to record it on a grand piano (instead of my upright) for the ABF recital. The worst of it is the mistake at 4:14 and the fact that I went too fast at 3:27. All comments are appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10B2AaH8zPo


Sam, would you mind sharing your course of self-study that led you to this level of playing? According to your other YouTube video, you wrote: "I starting playing in September of 2010 (less than a year prior to now, having never played any instrument before that), and I have not had a teacher or any lessons thus far."

If only a year of independent learning can produce this level of music, I'm sure many here would like to learn from your experiences. Which instructional material(s) have you used? How long do you practice each day? What is your typical practice session like? Thanks!


I started with a digital keyboard and the Alfred's adult beginner book to learn the very basics. I used a drill online to learn the notes on the staff, and I've also used presto keys to further drill that. I started playing Ballade no 1 (Chopin) even though it was (and still is) way above my head. At that time, I didn't understand some of the musical notation, so I was just going on what I heard in performances I liked on youtube. I made mistakes along the way, but I've tried to learn from them. I also did Nocturne in C sharp minor and other bits and pieces. I don't have much of a routine; I just play and play a lot. I've watched some instructional stuff on youtube, and a couple people have shown me things in person (fingering for octaves and chromatic scales). I have another book with scales and chords which I plan to work on more now.

EDIT:
I disabled ratings on the video, since it wasn't doing anything but making me feel lousy. There's lots to critique, but now hopefully I'll get some useful written criticism instead of haters silently hitting the dislike button.

Last edited by Sam Rose; 10/17/11 04:46 AM.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
#1771969 - 10/17/11 03:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline


Gold Supporter until March 1 2014


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
Far far away
Well Sam your technique is certainly effective.
I can't imagine why someone would put a dislike. I loved your piece, I'm just envious watching your fingers fly and listening to what you are able to do!


[Linked Image]
#1771976 - 10/17/11 04:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lain  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well Sam your technique is certainly effective.
I can't imagine why someone would put a dislike. I loved your piece, I'm just envious watching your fingers fly and listening to what you are able to do!


+1 + Ditto + Like thumb


"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
#1772078 - 10/17/11 09:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
bessel Offline
Full Member
bessel  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Lain
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well Sam your technique is certainly effective.
I can't imagine why someone would put a dislike. I loved your piece, I'm just envious watching your fingers fly and listening to what you are able to do!


+1 + Ditto + Like thumb


Double. That was great.


Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
#1772085 - 10/17/11 09:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
bessel Offline
Full Member
bessel  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by casinitaly


Bessel: I head about Grand Obsession here at PW, and very much enjoyed it. I liked reading about how pianos are built too, it was interesting to follow the whole procedure from tree to finished product.
Sounds like you are really having a wondeful time with dynamics! It makes everything sound so new and exciting, doesn't it? (well, I imagine. - I'm not the best with my dynamics)


The best thing about this (working on dynamics) is that I'm not worrying so much about whether I get all the notes right...which means that I get more of the notes right. smile



Originally Posted by casinitaly

We had friends over yesterday- total of 4 couples and one in each couple is a musician - (I include myself in that group, though I have to be considered the weak link in the chain, for sure!)..... The other three who played were on piano, guitar and accordion - they were great - playing from lead sheets , ad libbing, it was marvellous to hear the house resounding with music.

(I played a bit, when people were chatting, or out on the balcony, trying hard to keep in mind I've been playing less than 2 years).


Good for you! I would love to get to that "improvisational" point, down the road... in part I picked up the piano because I never got there with the guitar, though I can't say I put regular serious effort into the guitar. My piano practice is way more regular... probably just because it turns out I enjoy the piano more. (Why did it take me so long to figure that out?)


Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
#1772416 - 10/17/11 05:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 804
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
Eglantine  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 804
Another Country
This week I realised there are far more scales I know than don't know.

Throwing the enharmonic scales into the mix reduces the unknown further.


Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
#1772438 - 10/17/11 06:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]  
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,273
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MaryBee  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,273
Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted by bessel
The best thing about this (working on dynamics) is that I'm not worrying so much about whether I get all the notes right...which means that I get more of the notes right. smile
But that just makes it worse for me! My teacher says, "Just play it without worrying about getting the right notes." And then instead of thinking about playing the right notes, I'm thinking about how to NOT worry about playing the right notes, and then it's really messed up! laugh

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Sam, you've been playing less than a year? On a better day I'd say "wow, I'm inspired" - today I can only say "wow....wow, wow - How do you do that?" I'm so impressed.

But also a bit depressed. I think I must be the slowest adult beginner ever.
Cas, don't feel bad. For us mere mortals, it's a much slower process. We'll get there someday. thumb Great playing, BTW, Sam!


Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
#1772464 - 10/17/11 07:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
bessel Offline
Full Member
bessel  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 242
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Originally Posted by bessel
The best thing about this (working on dynamics) is that I'm not worrying so much about whether I get all the notes right...which means that I get more of the notes right. smile
But that just makes it worse for me! My teacher says, "Just play it without worrying about getting the right notes." And then instead of thinking about playing the right notes, I'm thinking about how to NOT worry about playing the right notes, and then it's really messed up! laugh


Uh oh, I think I'm going to be thinking too hard when I try not to think about this when I practice tonight. smile


Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
#1772639 - 10/18/11 02:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 804
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
Eglantine  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 804
Another Country
This week I realised there are far more scales I know than don't know.

Throwing the enharmonic scales into the mix reduces the unknown further.


Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
#1772876 - 10/18/11 12:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline


Gold Supporter until March 1 2014


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,713
Far far away
Ok, Mary Bee, --- reality check: mere mortal not Super-Piano woman. Sigh...no it is not to be! (too much piankronite near my house I think, it robs me of my super powers)

And as for what you and Bessel said about dynamics and wrong notes... I think I'll reply to that next week when I figure it out.

Eglantine, I'm sorry we didn't reply right away, ...YES there are a LOT of scales!!! Think of piano as just another truism about life...the more you know, the more you realize you don't know - it is a never ending journey.


[Linked Image]
#1773113 - 10/18/11 07:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member
PaperClip  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
Amsterdam, Holland
Hi all,

Today I started to learn each day a new song. Sort of sight reading but with repeat practise. I don't like to practise sight reading or scales, so I think this would be a good compromise. The song is very simple hymn of Amazing Grace, a traditional American melody.

Casinitaly, what are you saying? That you don't have laserbeam eyes? I'm speechless... shocked


Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
#1773137 - 10/18/11 08:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,496
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,496
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by casinitaly
And as for what you and Bessel said about dynamics and wrong notes... I think I'll reply to that next week when I figure it out.


I wouldn't worry too much Cheryl ... my experience is that when I concentrate on dynamics instead of wrong notes I just get wrong dynamics and wrong notes.

My AotW: I just played the third movement of my Clementi Sonatina at breakneck speed (OK, the tempo it's supposed to be played at wink ) and it didn't sound like a huge mess of wrong notes. In fact I could probably work at just a few passages and play it tolerably well at that speed. I suspect my teacher wouldn't be much amused but it was fun to just let the fingers fly!


  • Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 50 of 312 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 311 312

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
Free piano ebook for review
by jjjkay. 10/18/17 10:46 PM
Free piano ebook for review
by jjjkay. 10/18/17 10:39 PM
Corrosion on Plate
by Bob. 10/18/17 08:11 PM
European Piano Party 2018 in Germany?
by patH. 10/18/17 05:26 PM
Home made tape deck Electone - awesome!
by Doug M.. 10/18/17 04:15 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,365
Posts2,665,556
Members88,990
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0