2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your recommendations. My wife and I are now seriously considering to buy a 2009 KAWAI RX2 for $13,250 tomorrow. I ask our dealer why the price is so low. He said that one of piano dealers went to bankruptcy and all his pianos were repositioned. This RX2 is one of them. Because it’s a repositioned piano, the warrenty only covers only 5 years, rather than 10 years. Is this still a good deal? We look forward to hearing from you before we make our final decision.
By the way, I also run into another piano dealer. He said that he would sell me a Brodmann BG 187, 187cm/6’2” grand piano for $12,000. He may actually even go down a liitle bit. The piano looks beautiful. But our piano dealer said that Brodmann was made in China, not in a very good quality. So, we should not consider Brodmann. Right?
This is the first time I have ever been here. I have got so much very useful information and wonderful advice. From the bottom of my hear, let me say “Thank you!”

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
i personally think its a very good deal for an rx2 that old. but i would certainly get an independent tech opinion if your going to spend that much.

btw: what state are you in? location matters alot on pianos prices, but that price is very good anywhere.

A
OP Offline
A
I am in Florida. Thank you.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Amy:

The price seems very reasonable for a 2009 RX2. Additionally, Kawai has a 10 year warranty and if the piano was truly never sold (reposessed from a dealer) it should still have that factory warranty. If, on the other hand, it has been sold and reposessed from a customer, the 10 year factory warranty would run from the date of oritinal purchase. So, if the piano is a 2009 RX2, it should still have 8 years of warranty left from the factory.

As to the Brodmann: the price you have quoted on the 187 is extremely low for this piano, and IMHO, the two offers (Kawai and Brodmann) are very attractive. It will boil down to which sound you like better. To me, the Brodmann is a more powerful and more brilliant instrument than the RX2, but the action on the RX2 is a bit lighter and perhaps quicker. Again, it boils down to which one you like over-all.

I wouldn't worry about what a competing dealer said about pianos made in China. The fact is that China, like every other country, has both very good and, well, not so good products. The Brodmann pianos have a good warranty and deliver quite a value compared to others on the market. Of course, that is my BIASED opinion. grin

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
A
OP Offline
A
Russell,

Thank you very much. So, in your opinion, we can still consider Brodmann BG 187. Yes, the dealer said that warranty is for 12 years.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Actually the deal on the RX2 is good.
On the other hand if it is 2009; it should have 8 years of warranty left, regardless of the situation. Check the serial number to find the age of the piano.
Kawai occasionally offers special deals on pianos called "B stock" which are sold with 5 years warranty.
These are pianos that have been repaired by the manufacturer and then sold at a discount rate with a limited warranty.
I have sold a few of those and nothing has been wrong with these pianos.
However you are entitled to know exactly what you are buying.
With the serial number and model; you can contact directly Kawai to know when the piano was sold to the dealer.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 10/14/11 03:00 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
A
OP Offline
A
Kurtmen,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have just called Kawai but the manager is out for lunch. I left a phone message and wait for him to call me back.

This is very helpful. How do you think about Brodmann BG 187?

A
OP Offline
A
Kurtmen,

By the way, I have called Kawai earlier today. They checked my serial number and told me that the RX2 was made in 2009.

Again, thanks.

Amy,

In Florida! I may visit that dealer because I might be travel there on business in November. Could you PM me the name of the dealership? I started my journey to look for a good upright about a month ago. Thanks!

Last edited by Jacky; 10/14/11 05:00 PM.

Seiler 132 Konzert
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amy20119

By the way, I also run into another piano dealer. He said that he would sell me a Brodmann BG 187, 187cm/6’2” grand piano for $12,000. He may actually even go down a liitle bit. The piano looks beautiful. But our piano dealer said that Brodmann was made in China, not in a very good quality. So, we should not consider Brodmann. Right?

One piano dealer says the Brodmann is not good quality because it's made in China? And the dealer with the Brodmann 187 is offering it to you for $12,000 or even less?
If it's a used Brodmann I could understand that price, but if it's new you ought to do some research on this make and examine it further in person. I've never heard of such low pricing for this model. I wonder if these dealers are members here on PW?
The Piano Buyer (link on the side column here) offers information on pricing, quality and so forth for the models you're considering. You've also been offered a fantastic price on the RX2 which is known to be a very fine piano.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
That RX2 is a really good deal. Jump on it!

No one said Brodmann is a low quality piano, however I've never heard of a BG line. I'd be more wary, though.

All the best!

1942 Baldwin M
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
The Brodmann piano the OP is looking at is a BG-187, not a PE-187. I looked back into the deep, dark recesses of the Pianobuyer archives to check on the differences. It didn't help much. It just said the BU and BG pianos were the former Professional Edition. The PE series is the current Professional Edition.

Is there a dealer out there who can spread some light?

Charles

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Amy20119 -

Actually there is nothing wrong with the quality of Brodmann. They are very good pianos - but the Kawai is a step up on the quality ladder, and a NEW RX2 for the price quoted to you is an excellent deal. Don't worry about the warranty. Even new Steinways only come with a 5 year warranty.

That said, I get the sense from your posts that you really might have benefited from learning more about the various brands before you started any serious shopping. Fortunately you have the opportunity to buy the RX2. If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to peruse the PianoBuyer book though the following link. It includes comparative quality rankings, descriptions of the various brands and pricing of new instruments.

If nothing else, I encourage you to read up on both Kawai and Brodmann.

Good luck.

http://www.pianobuyer.com/

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The RX-2 is Kawai's best-seller in the RX series. I have tried a few from the circa 2009 batch, and I was very surprised at the playability and musicality of this model; also, the build quality. My opinion is that it beats the Broadmann out in both categories. My theory is that this model has benefited from incremental improvements based on the company's accumulated experience, having made so many of them (compared to the biggest models, which they make fewer of). Especially at the price you have been offered, I would think this would be a strong contender. But of course, it depends on what you like, and no one can decide for you what it sounds like or feels like.

The manufacturer's warranty is intended to protect you from the cost of disastrous defects, which seldom occur (but seldom is not never).

Mu suggestion is, read up on both models as much as you can, then go back and play them two times, three times, whatever it takes. Don't just tinkle a little, try every key, every pedal, open and close the case, etc. See what every part sounds like and feels like. Helped by your research, ask lots of questions. Make notes, or make recordings. Have a look at how the showroom environment affects the sound of each (and remember, it will sound different in your home environment).

By the time you've done this, your mind will have had a chance to become confident of your decision. Also, the sales staff will have had a chance to find out what you're looking for, and to realize you're a serious shopper. You will have had a chance to get a sense of whether they are knowledgeable and trustworthy.

Best of luck to you with this exciting process.

Clef

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As commented by Kurtmen, the warranty status does raise questions of regular vs. B-stock. An RX-2 is a lovely instrument, especially at that price. The Brodmann has a tremendous advantage of size and a very nice souns design in that size. And there doesn't seem to be any questions about it's status. The anti-Chinese claims are playing on people's prejudices. IMO, aspects of Brodmann's construction are superior to that Kawai and vice versa.

I'd give the advantage in the action to Kawai but in sound to the Brodmann. It should be a good horse race for you the shopper.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
That sounds like a good deal on either. The Kawai will perhaps hold it's value better. The Brodmann probably has a richer tone, the action of the Kawai is probably better, or at least faster. It really depends what you like playing on.

$12k for a new good quality six foot grand with a 12 year warranty is not to be sneezed at. In this instance don't listen to anything except for the sound and touch of the pianos, go for what you like best.

YAMAHA Artist
A
OP Offline
A
Upon your recommendation, I have just bought Kawai rx2 for $13,250 (See the piano in the store http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/saliang/P1200443.jpg). We also paid $200 extra to get an artist brench. Adding tax and shipping fee, the total is $14,447.
I am glad because my daughter really loves rx2. I am a first time grand piano buyer and know almost nothing about piano. For instance, I did not know that piano is repossessed, rather repositioned. I feel so lucky for being here before I made my final decision. Thanks to all of you who have helped me. Special thanks to Carey who suggested me to look at http://www.pianobuyer.com/. It really helped me to make up my mind to buy rx2.
Now, I have a new question: where should I put the new piano in our living room? Here is our living room photo: http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/saliang/P1200472.jpg (Sorry,this link may not work. You may have to copy and paste to see the photo.)Should I position our new Kawai rx2 in the same place where the old piano was or position it with the long side across the right up corner at a 45° angle to the walls as suggested by piano buyer http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall11/97.html. Clearly, positioning the new piano at the place where the old piano was would be much easier. Your suggestion would be really appreciated. By the way, we plan to buy a carpet.
Finally to Jacky, I am sorry that I was not online last night and did not see your post until now. Of course, I can give you our dealer’s contact information: www.atlanticmusiccenter.com, (321)725-5690.
Again, many thanks.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Amy,
Congratulations on your purchase of that beautiful Kawai RX2! The 178cm piano is an ideal choice for home use, as it combines superior touch and sound to the vertical piano within modest, grand piano dimensions.

I would place your new grand piano with the straight side along the wall where your old piano is. That way the sound will project into the room without intruding too much on the open flow into the room from the front entrance.

It is also important to remember to have the piano well away from direct sunlight and heating or climate control vents.

Very best wishes for the happy installation of your new Kawai RX2 and may you and your daughter have many years of musical enjoyment playing it.

Kind regards,

Robert.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Congratulations on your purchase. I know it will bring your family years of musical pleasure.

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulatios! enjoy your piano. smile

Last edited by Kurtmen; 10/15/11 02:59 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission