2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, DoelKees for the translation. A very touching story. I am very gratful to you.

I have discvered that it would cost £1800 (GBP) to send Max to Moscow with a 3* hotel for a week for intensive training. There are most likely other alternatives. Does anyone know someplace in Moscow That would be qualified to give this training?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
RXD:

The first step in helping Max would be better equipment. If there was some way to set up an account with Frank's PianoSupplies.com for Max to use I will put in the first $50.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Jeff.

Read further back in the thread. Max did send me his address and I will mail him a tuning lever plus some other things. Pre-paying excise duty.

Your suggestion is brilliant.

Even though we often behave like a loose confederation of warring tribes, we can unite to help a colleague.

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
RXD:

I have been trying to think of a similar situation as Max’s. The closest I can think of was in Zhanjiang, China. On different streets in the city, different craftsman worked. On some streets tin ware was made, on others furniture. On one, electric motors were repaired. Workers would sit out in the open and wind copper wire around their hands and then push them in place the best that they could. I can’t imagine that the results were as good as a modern facility could do, and it would be nothing like a new motor. So should these workers be held in low esteem? NO! They are taking something that is unusable and doing the best they can with what they have. That is how I look at Max’s efforts.

So does anybody have a close connection with Frank to pursue setting up an account for Max? Or maybe someone has another idea.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
I can’t imagine that the results were as good as a modern facility could do, and it would be nothing like a new motor. So should these workers be held in low esteem? NO! They are taking something that is unusable and doing the best they can with what they have.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that - kudos to them! We have similar street industries in some townships here in South Africa. In fact, it constitutes a whole so-called second or third economy.

But Max went one step further.

I do wonder what sort of comments those Chinese armature winders would have garnered if they, similar to what Max did, recorded a video of their efforts, uploaded it to youtube under the title, "The School of the young electrician" and posted it in a (more or less) professional electrician's forum for comments.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
OK Jeff, Ok. I saw the mammoth 'no'. You're not shouting at me, are you? I am familiar with your argument but, as you know, it isn't necessary for anything else to be wrong in order for one thing to be right. By the same token, it is not necessary to destroy Max's current skills in order to offer him complemenary ones.

My world is not either or, it's all encompassing as yours seems to be.

I just thought, does the guild offer scholarships to conventions?

Are we possibly being a bit patronising? I don't know.

Let the forum decide and, of course, Max.

Amanda Reckonwith

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
RXD:

NO! I am not shouting at you. wink I am shouting at the elitist attitude of the developed world.

I don’t think we are being patronizing. There has been some very direct criticism.

After reading Doel’s translation (Thanks Doel!), I think Max does comprehend pin manipulation. And when he has a proper tuning hammer I think both his technique and his unisons will improve. I think it is significant that he has somehow tapered the inside of the socket. Maybe he cannot conceive of a usuable eight point tapered socket. Best not to try to read much into the translation.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Max:

I think you try in your videos to teach people in your area how to tune pianos without buying expensive tools. How to make your own tuning hammer for example.

If we give you expensive tools you could work better but you can not teach anyone because the can not afford the tools.

Am I correct?

If you want tools I will add my $50 to the fund Jeff suggested to help you.

Я думаю, вы попробуйте в своих видео, чтобы научить людей в вашем районе, как настроить пианино, не покупая дорогих инструментов. Как сделать свой собственный молот тюнинг для примера.

Если мы дадим вам дорогие инструменты, которые могли бы работать лучше, но вы не можете научить никому, потому что не могут позволить себе инструменты.

Я правильно?

Если вы хотите инструментов я добавлю мои 50 долларов в фонд Джефф предложил, чтобы помочь вам.

Kees

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Am I correct?

You are right 100%
The Dear piano's tech. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Your care do not know the borders. I love so much our Forum. Our forum solves the primary tasks on repair and usages piano. I for few months has got from You plenty of useful and constructive information though do not know english That tech. have begun to collect donation for Max this it is correct and pleasantly. I to notarize that money to me required for the further development skill. With deep respect, Max

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Loren:Are you suggesting that we somehow protect Max's customers from themselves?

Click on this link for another take on Max's work from the UK - Encourage or not?

Last edited by Withindale; 10/16/11 08:20 AM. Reason: It's a link to another thread!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Encourage to learn and get proper tools for the job? Absolutely. Encourage more of the same of what was in the video? Nope.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
P
P
Made a parcel today for Max with a extension lever, tips, mutes and a few other things.
Will find the fastest and most secure way tomorrow to get it shipped to him.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianolive
Made a parcel today for Max

THANKS!!!

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Pianolive,

I have been making a few enqiuries, My suppliers say that many times, parcels are held at customs and excise and Max may have to go collect them and pay duties.

Best contact the Kazakhstan Embassy first to check on the best way of circumventing this distinct possibility.

The same thing happens here in UK and I know it does in USA.

Best to check and ask them the best way before sending anything that could get misappropriated.

Amanda Reckonwith

P
P
Rxd,

Thanks.

Yes, I am aware of this and did send a mail to the embassy yesterday. Will call tomorrow.
There are some transport companies which can deliver directly to Max as he seems to live in the western part of the country.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
This thread has developed a life of its' own outside pianoworld.

One poster who left this particular thread in disgust is now claiming (on another forum) the moral high ground for attempting to marginalise Max and deprive him of his livelihood. All this under the guise of purifying our profession. (Well, he calls it a trade).

Hasn't history has proven this kind of thinking devastatingly wrong?.

Amanda Reckonwith

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
And shamefully, it's a British tuner on a UK forum. "Savages, I tell you" said in the best colonial accent. "Need to be stopped, what?"

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Send in a gunboat and a platoon of cavalry!.

Frank!... The British are doing that self depracating humor thing again.... Make 'em stop!

Amanda Reckonwith

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phil D
And shamefully, it's a British tuner on a UK forum. "Savages, I tell you" said in the best colonial accent. "Need to be stopped, what?"

But how would he actually do it? The devil is in the details.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Gentlemen

Hasn't this issue, "Encourage or not?", now been as fully debated on both sides on the pond as it should have been?

In the end actions speak louder than words.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission